Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Hellbent

I want a new spidey enemy

I want a new arachna-enemy in Doom. Smaller than the arachnatron, significantly less bionic. Thin, long, slightly furry legs. Small eyes. Deceptively small, scary mouth. VERY FAST; on par with an arch vile. Predominantly darkish gray in coloration. Expert at climbing stairs (may not be possible given the limits of large beasts on stairs). Visually slightly larger than a demon (about 80 units wide), but can fit in 64 width hallways. 56 units high (visually 64 units high). 300 hitpoints. Pain chance slightly worse than a revenant; and perhaps slightly better than a cacodemon's.

3 modes of attack:

1. Short range chaingun so it can only hurt you if its in the vicinity. The gun's damage would be somewhere in between a chaingun dude's weapon and a nazi's weapon. Will not attempt long range attacks. Gun has a recharge lag time limiting the number of bullets in a given amount of time can be fired in which case it will then change tactics resorting to another mode of attack. Rate of Recharge is 2 times slower than rate of attack. Will wait until 50% recharged before resorting to chaingun again. Attack range: about 896 units

2. A mini 'lost soul' skull shoots out of its mouth and explodes upon impact or after its traveled 216 units (whichever occurs first). It makes a hideous sound each time it ejects a mini skull. Rate of fire about one skull every 0.42 seconds. It shoots a volley of between 3 and 5 skulls at a time (and then needs three seconds before firing another volley, during which time it may resort to biting you if its close enough. The randomization of the number of skulls to be fired in each volley of skulls typically favors 4 and a little less frequently with 5, while firing 3 is least frequent. Rate of frequency: 45%, 33% and 22% respectively. Attack has a recharge lag time limiting the number of skulls it can fire in a given amount of time beyond the time needed between volleys: it cannot keep up volleys and 3 second rest intervals indefinitely--eventually it needs more time to recharge again. The rate of attack is 2.5times faster than the rate of recharge. Will wait until 30% recharged before resorting to skull attack again (or chaingun, whichever is recharged first). Max damage 40 hitpoints. Attack Range 216.

OR

Some kind of short range probiscus that shoots out of its mouth inflicting pain on you (max damage 40 hitpoints.) Attack range of about 216 units. But I think I prefer the little skulls.

3. Very Nasty bite up close: the small mouth opens very quickly and quite large, revealing a scary, red mouth with large, bloodied teeth (max damage inflicted at least 80hps). This attack would occur 80% faster (nearly twice as fast) as the demon's attack; so it's very nasty and aggressive: but not resorted too that frequently as the monster has a preference to keep its distance. When using this attack, it attacks VERY quickly.

Behavioral characteristics:
Generally it is not comfortable getting too close to you, preferring to keep its distance, generally not getting any closer than 448 units. Prefers using the chaingun. Once its chaingun is low on recharge, it will risk getting closer and resort to ejecting skulls at you, which have a shorter range than the chaingun, requiring the monster to be at least 216 units of you. Only when both skulls and chaingun are at insufficient levels will it 'go berserk' and charge you trying to eviscerate you with its nasty mouth and teeth which is a very aggressive attack. Will only maintain this attack as long as attack method 2 and 3 haven't recharged to their minimum recharge state of 30% and 50% respectively. Once the recharge states of either of these is up to the minimum again, it will stop the biting attack, reestablish its distance, and go to the one that has recharged.

Generally they are found in groups as they prefer to attack in groups of 4 or more where they are much more effective than alone.

Makes a high pitched wimper/scream sound when it dies that abruptly rises in pitch and volume and then abruptly terminates.

The sound it makes when it spots you is similar to the one the Arch Vile makes when it gets hurt, except my enemy's is higher pitched, slightly longer in duration, more vexed sounding (this is an angry beastie) and mixed in with a hint of Revenent 'sight you' sound and imp hiss. Almost like there's a hint of a gurgle in the high pitched squeal/scream sound it makes.

The sound it makes when getting hurt would be similar to the 'sight you' sound but shorter lived and without the revenent or gurgle element.

In reference to its death sequence it probably has dark green blood as well as red blood. Red blood more located near its head and brain, while green blood predominantly in its torso and legs.

It is also low mass/light monster. If it's eating your face and you give it an ssg blast it will go flying backward allowing you a chance to get away.

Uhm, Maybe I'm alone on this... but...

WHY DON'T YOU GET BUSY MAKING IT THEN YOU GAFFUT NIGGUS REGGUL?!

PS. I love gunnis and aruchnatruns...

kristus said:

Uhm, Maybe I'm alone on this... but...

WHY DON'T YOU GET BUSY MAKING IT THEN YOU GAFFUT NIGGUS REGGUL?!

PS. I love gunnis and aruchnatruns...

Oh, I can't program. No I couldn't do that. No, I would love to, but I can't.. I couldn't do such a monumental achievement.

damn it. I just made something like this for a project I'm working on, minus the skull attack.

Fiend said:

damn it. I just made something like this for a project I'm working on, minus the skull attack.

kewl, look forward to seeing it!

Hellbent said:

Oh, I can't program. No I couldn't do that. No, I would love to, but I can't.. I couldn't do such a monumental achievement.

I hope you understand I am obligated to consider you as weak and pathetic now. :(

kristus said:

I hope you understand I am obligated to consider you as weak and pathetic now. :(

Yes. Only course I ever failed was a programming one. :(

Mr. Chris said:

Realm667.com

Did you want me to go to tutorials on that website? Or the monsters creation contest?

Mr. Chris said:

Realm667.com

There is an image of a sad doom marine mug shot. It kinda reminded me of Alex Trebek for some reason. It would be funny to replace the doom mug with one of Alex Trebek! There's a mod for someone to do. :D

Reaper978 said:

How about it shoots mini-lost souls?

Little flies on fire. I think it'd be more fun if they just explode like little bombs going off if they don't hit anything by the time they've reached 216 units from being fired. But, yeah, little flies on fire would be cool.

Reaper978 said:

How about it shoots mini-lost souls?

That's fucking gay. Make it shoot chaingunners that shoot mini lost souls that shoot fireballs that explode into mini lost souls.

Craigs said:

That's fucking gay. Make it shoot chaingunners that shoot mini lost souls that shoot fireballs that explode into mini lost souls.

Oh shit! Hell yess!!!

Unverified idea: edit the arachnotron sprite by pasting archvile legs on its metallic legs. The walk-on-tall-stairs feature is fixed by MBF/PrBoom/Eternity if you want.

So coders want to do the programming of the beast? I have a friend who would be willing to do the graphics.

You shouldn't make these. Mine came out as a rotten bastard, especially when you graft a flashlight into it's face, which it strobes while its shooting you, but makes it a little easier to see coming, since the prick's attack is a bit harsh. Overall, crawling through a maintenance shaft with it is extremely unpleasant.

Craigs said:

small, difficult to hit enemies are about the most annoying thing one can put into an FPS.

@ gez: a spider with a caco eye looks neat.

Gez said:

:p

Gez, you were right about definitions; that thing IS scary, especially if it's coded enough to appear intelligent.

Torr Samaho said:

small, difficult to hit enemies are about the most annoying thing one can put into an FPS.

Average-sized enemies that duck your shots by jumping down on their bellies to gnaw your legs are even worse. There's a lot of them in Doom 3.

Torr Samaho said:

@ gez: a spider with a caco eye looks neat.

The PE eye was Xaser's idea. It went downhill from there...

Gez said:

Average-sized enemies that duck your shots by jumping down on their bellies to gnaw your legs are even worse. There's a lot of them in Doom 3.

perhaps they look smaller because of that, anyway doom3 is one of these games blessed with small annoying enemies i was thinking of. or half-life's headcrabs. there's one in the beastiary, the bat.

there are some ideas i really like in your zdoom forums thread, i'm just looking at your "floating archvile" and the zombie soldier on page 67.

Gez said:

:p

That's pretty cool, but I don't understand the red eye at the very top. Actually, it looks more like an ultra-hella version of the spider-mastermind. Seeing as how people don't consider the spider mastermind as dangerous as the cyberdemon, maybe this one could be bigger, drop arachnatrons, and have two chainguns on the side and a bfg in the center. Heh.

Reaper978 said:

That's pretty cool, but I don't understand the red eye at the very top.

I don't, either. And the horns look strange since the shadows are completely inconsistent on them. It wasn't my idea. :P

I'm really excited about this monster. I think it will be a lot of fun and very scary given its speed and method of upclose attack. Hopefully I'll be able to find the resources to make it!

Hey Hellbent,
What port were you thiking about making this for. I'm still learning the advanced stuff for Decorate abd Zdoom, but if you have the sprites and sounds for this, I'd like to help out. I have zero skill with sprites and sounds, so I could not help there. Drop me a line if you are still looking for someone.

kewl, thanks for the offer! I don't have any sprites yet. My friend just started working on them today. Zdoom would be great as that's the port I predominantly use. I'll post here when I have a screenie to show. Hopefully it won't be too long before a rough sketch of this beastie is ready to be coded for! My mic isn't working so I can't make sounds just yet.

Anyone wanna recommend good sound tweaking software for making sfx? :)

Gez said:

The PE eye was Xaser's idea. It went downhill from there...

You mean UPHILL. It got AWESOME from there.

Hellbent said:

I'm really excited about this monster. I think it will be a lot of fun and very scary given its speed and method of upclose attack. Hopefully I'll be able to find the resources to make it!

It's enough that it LOOKS creepy. It needs to be a stalkerish enemy that stinks like piss.

printz said:

It's enough that it LOOKS creepy. It needs to be a stalkerish enemy that stinks like piss.

you should read my description. It's not stalkerish at all. It's hyper and angry and hissing (although I have it described as screeching, maybe it should hiss as well). It has three modes of attack, one of which doesn't happen often but is scary as hell when it does!

Hellbent said:

It's not stalkerish at all.

Well, he's got one big restless eye to glare at you, so I think he is :)