Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
TheeXile

Trick for preventing bullets and projectiles to appear to impact walls?

I forget offhand if there's a good way to do this short of using sky walls. Any ideas?

This is for a Boom map, by the way.

Bullet puffs don't appear in Vanilla if the ceiling is sky, although I don't know if this would work with Boom. (EDIT: Yeah, this seems to be what you mean by sky walls. Sorry)

Otherwise perhaps you could put an impassible midtexture a short distance in front of the "real" wall?

fraggle said:

Otherwise perhaps you could put an impassible midtexture a short distance in front of the "real" wall?

Yeah that may be what I'll have to do.

Ajapted said:

Replace the puff sprites with empty sprites?

Presumably the effect is only desired for certain walls and not others.

Using a lowered sector with sky as the ceiling, and textures on the upper portions of the walls should produce the effect you're looking for. The wall will otherwise appear normal, especially if it meets the floor and you can't see the sky texture, so it's just one solid wall. You can use this effect to make the upper portion of a wall not display puffs, while the lower portion will. I think some ports change this behavior, but Boom should still have it intact.

EarthQuake said:

Using a lowered sector with sky as the ceiling, and textures on the upper portions of the walls should produce the effect you're looking for. The wall will otherwise appear normal, especially if it meets the floor and you can't see the sky texture, so it's just one solid wall. You can use this effect to make the upper portion of a wall not display puffs, while the lower portion will. I think some ports change this behavior, but Boom should still have it intact.

This works?

Hmm. I'll give it a shot, then.

Would anyone know if a self-referencing sector with a sky flat would do this, by chance?