Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Hellbent

omg I just got the biggest scare

Was waiting in the lobby outside the cyb/baron room on map08 of Doom 2. Couple barons teleported out into the entry room and wandered down a hallway with bloodlust for the cyberdemon. All of sudden I hear loud thumping RIGHT BEHIND me. I spin around to see a MASSIVE cyberdemon sauntering around, prolly looking for those two barons of hell. Holy shit I almost had a heart attack. For some reason I didn't think the cyberdemon could come through the teleport. I managed to duck into the caco hall where you get the plasma gun before he reined his terror of rockets down on me. But dang that frickin' scared the living bejeezus out of me. Generally speaking doom doesn't usually sneak up on me like that anymore. Part of it may be I'm playing pk_doom_sfx.wad which is a hi-fi sound wad replacing most of the sfx with hi fi ones.

Does doom still provide scary or memorable moments?

I always pull dramatic one/two liners when surprised by the two cybernetic bosses.

A revenant/archie shriek or two when walking down the street casually. Sometimes.

Actually, for revenants, make that small square rooms with little space rather than streets.

printz said:

In-your-face screaming monsters are typically scary.

Startling and terrifying aren't the same thing.

Hellbent said:

Does doom still provide scary or memorable moments?

Of course. I'm sure we're all still playing it for that exact reason.

Usually I don't get scared by doom these days, but even the classic maps unleash a great atomsphere created by the looks of the level itself, and the music choice. E1M7 and E1M8 just have that general feeling of "the demons are here, and they are taking over", through the appearance and brightness level of the level, and especially the song choice. Both of those levels have some of the most fitting music ever.

I hate hearing a Revenant or Baron scream and not being able to see where they are.

Lord_Z said:

I hate hearing a Revenant or Baron scream and not being able to see where they are.

Who doesn't?

I think the Arch Vile is the scariest monster. All of its' sounds are truly skin-crawling, and that flame attack is a bad one. Even worse when you're in the middle of a massive fight and the flames just appear on your screen, and you have absolutely no idea where is safe to hide.

Hellbent said:

Baron noises are among the greatest sounds created by mortals.

I concur. But how do you know it was created by a moral!? :O

Super Jamie said:

I think the Arch Vile is the scariest monster. All of its' sounds are truly skin-crawling, and that flame attack is a bad one. Even worse when you're in the middle of a massive fight and the flames just appear on your screen, and you have absolutely no idea where is safe to hide.

I agree here too.
Had that happen on a map I was playing earlier and I simply freaked out and RAN towards the nearest hallway. Unfortunately this caused me to get launched anyways....

cyberdemon has been the only monster that truly scares the living shit out of me. Only monster I've had nightmares about. Specters sometimes scare me, as do other monsters at times, but not like the cyb. If a baron screams right behind me that'll make me jump for sure. If a cyberdemon thumps behind me that'll make my heart skip a beat and then start racing like a scared rabbit's.

Having turbo doors suddenly (unexpectedly) slam in my face when I'm shooting rockets is a rather jarring experience. Having turbo walls open in a previously small place, with monsters behind them and now surrounding you (esp. in a map you've never played) is startling.
Being at less than 20 health trying to sneak around when something else sneaks up behind you, or unexpectedly rounds a corning in your face (esp. hitscanners) really freaks me out. Playing DM (or even SP)and trying to open a door only to have it instantly close again approx. the same instant is always a fun surprise.

EarthQuake said:

I concur. But how do you know it was created by a moral!? :O

John Romero is Doom's God.

I really like Hexen's Necropolis, because it's spooky, even gameplay-wise. Music helps greatly too.

Past night, in dead midnight hour, I run for first time Revolution and was really shocked by first appearance of beheaded zombieman. :)

Also playing for first time Eden (by Eternal) has unforgettable scary ambient experience, compared only with System Shock 2.

Soon as I master some more mapping techniques im going to try make a real creepy " AAAH OMG WTF WAS THAT " sort of map.. with freak moments and scary sounds in background etc.. like a Horror based Wad or something.. hmmm...

David_Dweedle said:

Soon as I master some more mapping techniques im going to try make a real creepy " AAAH OMG WTF WAS THAT " sort of map.. with freak moments and scary sounds in background etc.. like a Horror based Wad or something.. hmmm...

DO IT!

I'm not trying to take over the thread or anything with this reply, but fear has a new meaning for me in Doom.

Recently, I created what I believe is the scariest monster ever seen in Doom. It's not the screamer type, nor the ones that flashes a million pictures of dead babies in under a second, but the kind where it's movement behavior is so unpredictable and creeps you out just by getting too close. The kind where you're bouncing up and down in your seat and mashing the shift and up arrow key, trying to get away. And then thinking you've gotten away clean only to have it pop out in front of you.

I've never had any Doom monster, not even the ones from Ghoul's Forest 3, freak me out as much as this one has. I've fought it dozens of times, and I know every aspect about how it functions, and yet it still fills the air around me with dread. I can't wait to unleash it to the world. :)

Spoiler

DIEBLIEBER'S GONNA GETCHA!

velocigecko said:

Lost souls. I hate lost souls. A lot.
The things always scare the shit out of me.

Lawl, you would probably hate this monster more than anyone.

Since you're talking about scary moments in Doom, what about scary monsters in particular? Any custom monsters that just freak you the fuck out?

None of the original doom monsters really freak me out..i mean come on, the imps sort of look like teddy bears and the cacodemon looks like a giant floating strawberry.

I'd say the cherub from doom3 freaks me out the most...small, undead, half fly/half human babies. freakin' wicked.

Well original monster do freak me out on Nightmare mode, even the cheating is not allowed in there.

printz said:

John Romero is Doom's God.

The sounds in Doom are one of it's many enduring qualities. For example, the pain noise for the imp is both effective and comedy gold.
Its genius. Have to say that I am a big fan of Romero's contribution to my favorite game, and games in general. The chemistry with Romero, Carmack and the rest at that time just worked wonders.
Romero, to a certain point reminds me of John Carpenter, the movie director, in terms of talent, actual career and overall acceptance. anyways, sorry to derail the thread.