Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
bardcat

gzdoom/high resolution stuff

i can't seem to figure out how to scale high resolution textures, or if it's even possible. say i want to take a 512x5x12 texture and have it occupy only a 128x128 space in game. or 64x64. is there a pk3 entry for this? i'm also a little confused as far as the anatomy of an actual pk3 file goes.. is there any documentation on either of these things?

Documentation? You mean, like maybe a wiki? Which would have on its front page links to all special lumps and on how to use zips as wad replacement? Sure, that would be a great thing if it existed.

thanks, dick. i'm pretty familiar with the zdoom wiki, but i wasn't aware it included information about features not present in zdoom.

bardcat said:

thanks, dick. i'm pretty familiar with the zdoom wiki, but i wasn't aware it included information about features not present in zdoom.

Scaling textures not present in ZDoom?
Using PK3s not present in ZDoom?

Both things have existed -- and been documented on the wiki you're "pretty familiar with" -- since 2006 at least... The links above are to the first dev-verified versions of those pages.

... and the 'using zips' link is even on the wiki's home page. You don't even have to search for it.

Both can still be used in ZDoom. Hi-res textures (and sprites, and UI graphics, etc.) has been supported since 2006, as pointed out.

Full color graphics are another thing entirely. They, too, are completely supported by ZDoom. They won't appear in true color, as they'll be reduced to the 256 colors of the palette being used, but they'll work nonetheless.

When something is not supported in plain old ZDoom, it is clearly labeled as such, with a big warning box right at the top of the page. If you don't see it... It's supported in ZDoom.

okay, cool. i had completely forgotten about the scaled sprites/textures i've seen used in zdoom mods in the past.. heh. but if i follow the same procedures and load the textures up in gzdoom, they should appear in true color, right?

okay, well, it doesn't appear to be working. here's an excerpt from my textures entry:

flat GRASS001, 512, 512
{
XScale 2.0
YScale 2.0
}

flat GRASS002, 512, 512
{
XScale 2.0
YScale 2.0
}

i've tried switching out "flat" with "texture", and gzdoom still displays it as a black void ingame. i have everything, including the TGA textures loaded into a wad file, as opposed to pk3.

If you're using the composite texture method without specifying any patch, it's normal it won't work. Should be something like this instead:

flat GRASS001, 512, 512
{
	XScale 2.0
	YScale 2.0
	Patch GRASS001 0, 0 {}
}

flat GRASS002, 512, 512
{
	XScale 2.0
	YScale 2.0
	Patch GRASS002 0, 0 {}
}
If you just want to resize a texture so that it's hi-res, you can use the old method, which is more than sufficient for that:
define GRASS001, 16, 16
define GRASS002, 16, 16
In either methods, the textures in question should be within P_START/P_END markers. With the second method, they can be outside of markers in a wad file.

ahh.. i knew i was missing something, haha. works perfect now. infinite thanks. i'm sure i'll have more questions soon, though. :P