Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Baby Bonnie Hood

Problem with Mock 2's MAP36 (fixed, patch WAD available)

I'm trying to seriously play Mock 2 without cheats (yeah, I'm crazy; I think it's doable, though), and I've encountered a problem regarding the secret levels.

It's MAP36, "OMG COUNTERSTRIKE". It took me a while to find the secret exit (bypassing the normal exit, the rainbow cyberdemons, without clipping through walls was... nuts); but when I finally did, it just took me back to MAP36. This, despite the fact that it was supposedly fixed. Have they still made a mistake and never found this out, or was the fixed version never uploaded (or maybe it was, but the link's so old now that it no longer exists)?

My experience with Mock 2 has been kinda ruined by this, an unfortunate bad bug among the ocean of good bugs. I'd like to play through the entire thing, including all the secret levels. So please, tell me where to find the definitely latest version of this joke WAD where MAP36's secret exit is working the way it should be.....

Baby Bonnie Hood said:

I'm trying to seriously play Mock 2 without cheats (yeah, I'm crazy; I think it's doable, though)

Yes, you are crazy. Are you saying, you beat all those billions of cyberdemons etc. or at least managed to bypass them and reach the exits? That, I'd like to see in a demo.

Baby Bonnie Hood said:

and I've encountered a problem regarding the secret levels.

I noticed this too when Mock 2 came out. I didn't know there was supposed to be a fix for this. And I didn't care as Mock 2 is full of bugs. Most of which are intentional like unclosed sectors, HOM and Polyobjects leaving its subsectors, therefor I didn't give it much thought and just idclev'ed to the higher maps.

I dunno. I'd hate to have the efforts of the mapmakers of MAP37-40 wasted because they couldn't be reached normally. I did check them out a little using idclev, but I can't seem to reach MAP38 normally. So I don't think the fixed version was ever uploaded properly after all; I've tried downloading Mock 2 from two mirrors, but they've both been the same (MAP36's secret exit loops back to MAP36). If it helps, the mock2.wad file is dated 11-21-2003 at around 1:00am.

And if you're confused about what fixed version I'm talking about :
http://www.doomworld.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=19279
Mock 2's release topic, obviously several years old now so it has dead links (including what I was hoping to be the fixed version).

It'd be nice if anyone who helped create Mock 2 were still around. Their help would be most appreciated. But for now, I guess I'll just play the game normally and ignore the unfortunately bugged-in-a-bad-way secret levels (I'm sure MAP36's recursive exit was not intentional).

Yeah, I feel rather annoyed by it. It's because it took me a good long while to reach MAP36's secret exit (those rainbow cyberdemons that would fight when you got too close and end the level back to MAP12 if one of them dies, the way around them was rather crazy), and then it just took me back to MAP36. I felt cheated, even more so since I myself didn't cheat. Bugs are not funny when they ruin the game (such as it is, but I'm trying for a serious playthrough of it).

Map36's secret exit returning you to the start of the map is most likely deliberate - it is after all a Mock wad. It looks like there's no way of reaching maps 39 & 40 without warping, they both exit back to Map37, which has a secret exit to Map38 and exiting Map38 returns you to Map37. Which means we're probably not meant to be able to play ALL the maps without warping.

Best solution I can offer is to edit the MAPINFO lump.

Actually, MAP37 can also lead to MAP39 and MAP40 (and apparently MAP38 too, but I didn't knew that; where's the exit to that?); and of course, it can also lead back to MAP12 when I guess you're finally all done or something. That's why I'm 100% sure that MAP36's recursive secret exit was an honest mistake.

I just wish anyone who was involved with Mock 2 would come here and clarify everything. Hyena, deathz0r, sargebaldy, someone please.....

GreyGhost said:

Best solution I can offer is to edit the MAPINFO lump.

I've always been quite the Doom player, but never ever the Doom mapper. How would I accomplish that anyway?

I just find it very odd that after all these years, no one has ever discovered the fix that apparently wasn't; they said they fixed it, but I'm playing living proof that this was never ever the case.

Open a copy of the wad in either XWE or SlumpEd, scroll down (it's a fair way down) to the MAPINFO lump and select it, scroll down the lump's contents to Maps 36-40 and change the secretnext or next destinations to the order you want to play them, save changes and close the wad.

I'd probably order them like this-

map map36 "OMG COUNTERSTRIKE"
music D_SUPERM
sky1 "sky5" 0
next MAP12
secretnext MAP37
cluster 10

map map37 "The four or five portals"
music D_SHAVIR
sky1 "sky5" 0
next MAP12
secretnext MAP38
cluster 11

map map38 "Cybmock"
music D_BOOMWH
sky1 "sky1" 0
next MAP39
cluster 12

map map39 "Foggy Furze"
music D_HYENA
sky1 "skyfog" 0
next MAP40
cluster 13

map map40 "A Bridge Too Far"
music D_KILTOM
sky1 "skyorg" 0
allowmonstertelefrags
next MAP12
cluster 13

Don't know what happened to the "fixed" version - maybe Hyena uploaded the wrong one?

EDIT - I should have looked at Map37 before posting all that rubbish.

Thanks, I'll give it a shot. I'll probably leave MAP37-40 alone though, since MAP37 has multiple exits that can lead to the other three and those other three can lead back to 37; you can get back to the main game (i.e., MAP12) from 37 after you get bored enough or something.

How do I get to 38 from 37 anyway? I only saw two portals that lead to 39 and 40, one switch that leads back to 12 (though I actually haven't tested that), and one other switch that endlessly(?) spawns a ton of imps.

If the fixed version was never uploaded, then MAP22 might be another problem. I dunno yet, though.....

Thanks again, GreyGhost. I used that SLumpEd thing to make a patch WAD for Mock 2; at a puny 2kb, all it has is a replacement MAPINFO with MAP36's secretexit finally properly leading to MAP37 the way IMO it was truly meant to be.

I wish I could upload it here, though. Seems this forum has attachment capabilities, but they're disabled for me. Is there something I need to do, or is this an admin thing?

No one attaches ever. You can upload a tiny WAD containing only the new MAPINFO though, so it can be conveniently loaded along with the original mock2. Filesharing sites like mediafire can be good for this.

p.s. your basket sucks

After finally finishing all of Mock 2 without cheating (really, I swear), I can safely say that MAP36 leading back to itself was the only problem left (I know Mock 2 has many "problems", but those were on purpose for the sake of humor; I firmly believe that this particular problem was a genuine mistake and not part of the joke). They really did upload the fixed version, but still failed to catch the bugged MAPINFO. But that too can now be fixed with this patch WAD:

http://www.mediafire.com/?2j4jdzgzhmo

Like TeamTNT's patch WAD for Evilution's MAP31, it's just a simple matter of running this patch WAD along with Mock 2. And finally, MAP36's secret exit will properly lead to MAP37 (and all it took was changing one single number). There's no more need to warp or idclev there, you can get there legitimately (and yes, it's possible without cheating); and hopefully, it'll be a satisfying accomplishment when you do.