Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Dittohead

Is this possible in any source ports? (polymer rendering)

Normally I don't keep up on the Duke3d community, but recently they've unveiled a new renderer for Eduke32 named "polymer" which you can check out here: http://forums.duke4.net/index.php?showtopic=775

Anyway, the lighting model allows for normal mapping and specular lighting which is interesting. Now, normally I like Doom to be pretty close to it's original form graphically, but every now and then it's interesting to see what people in the community cook up for projects that utilize ports such as GZDoom or jDoom and I think that normal mapping would look pretty cool when applied to those ports.

Some of it looks pretty impressive, especially when you consider the screenshots found later in that particular thread, such as the ones featured at the bottom of this page: http://forums.duke4.net/index.php?showtopic=775

Any idea if this is possible from a coding perspective? I know nothing of those things or how this would possibly be implemented but it's fun to look into none the less. What do you guys think?

Nothing's impossible, but there are two big issues. The first hurdle is adapting Polymer to the Doom engine, because many of the underlying models are very different.

The second is adapting the Doom engine to Polymer. :P I'm not kidding, there are a lot of glitches and hacks in the Doom renderer which are used and abused all over the place, and getting another renderer to emulate them correctly is a long and harrowing job. For an example, take the latest version of ZDoomGL (not GZDoom, where it works) and play MAP02 of TNT.wad. You'll see a deep water effect completely ruined by a glitch not being reproduced.

So, first you have to adapt the architecture of a Build-game renderer to work with the structure of a Doom-game, and then you have to graft onto it a lot of hacks and workaround to make it work -- or rather, not work -- in just the same way.

Absolutely possible and definetly doable. In fact, the planned rewrite of the Doomsday renderer will completely rely upon shaders (we are ditching a fixed function render path entirely). Normal mapping, glow, bloom, yada yada yada will all be possible.

AFAIK the closest a DOOM port has gotten to that kind of stuff to date is Legacy 2.0 which has previously demonstrated some of these render effects.

DaniJ said:

Absolutely possible and definetly doable. In fact, the planned rewrite of the Doomsday renderer will completely rely upon shaders (we are ditching a fixed function render path entirely). Normal mapping, glow, bloom, yada yada yada will all be possible.

AFAIK the closest a DOOM port has gotten to that kind of stuff to date is Legacy 2.0 which has previously demonstrated some of these render effects.

Those are some very positive remarks. Danij, you'll have to excuse me, but are you directly involved with that process? I know you've been a big proponent of jDoom and it's related ports since the inception, but I don't know if you have any hands-on knowledge of the codebase.

If not, perhaps you could make a suggestion?

Dittohead said:

Those are some very positive remarks. Danij, you'll have to excuse me, but are you directly involved with that process? I know you've been a big proponent of jDoom and it's related ports since the inception, but I don't know if you have any hands-on knowledge of the codebase.

You might want to read a bit the Doomsday Engine developers' blog.