Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Zafbot

Lone Doomer

I think i am, without a doubt the only one in my town who plays Doom. Everyone else either plays ps3/360 or doesn't play anything at all. Such a pity that more people don't play this wonderful game. I first played this game in 1996 or 1997 for the SNES, and was immediately hooked, and here I am 12 years later, finished with high school and technical school and I'm still playing this game! Either not enough people play this game or I have some strange addiction.

You might be surprised, where is "town"?

I know Sigvatr is in the same city as me, and there are a few Aussie doomers in other places. A few of my friends are retro gamers, not specifically Doom, but appreciation for old consoles and arcade machines is high.

I don't feel so alone :)

I've turned on a few people to Doom (especially my friends, who like me are retro geeks about things like games, music, etc.) but I'm not sure I know anybody my age that played it much before. Still, there must be some...it's not usually that easy to find these people since Doom doesn't come up much in everyday conversation with people I don't know.

None of my friends play Doom. Well, they did, years ago, but no longer play it, and now have a dramatically lower opinion of it after playing the likes of Halo.

i remember reading about Halo back when the plans for it were so grand. sure, it's fun to play multiplayer with the totally cheap-ass vehicles and what-not, but when it was first released my opinion was: what the fuck is this crap? no variety in weapons, enemies, or environments.
the lack of variety in environments pretty much sealed the deal for me. i couldn't make myself play through the whole game.

on subject? i don't personally know anyone in this town or other towns i frequently travel to who play Doom. Although, i am sure there are people in all of these towns who do. i just don't know of them.

I don't know anyone who plays Doom as much as me, though I have a friend of two who seem to appreciate I have this hobby, especially with map editing. They could be useful for playtesting, for example.

EDIT: the hell with it. I think anyone I know who likes shooter videogames a lot and has an open mind can be convinced to test a level I could have made. It's just that they aren't hardcore Doomers. BUT: most just like dumb simulators or GTA-alikes. And get mortally scared by Doom 3 :P

@ Super Jamie : I live in the United States, more specifically, Connecticut.

@ Printz : One of my friends is a pretty big FPS fan, and we used to play doom together sometimes, so i can get him to test maps I've made and he doesn't seem to mind, but that's the most doom he will play nowadays, just testing maps if I ask him to.

My girlfriend likes Doom and even made me a cacodemon cake for my birthday last year. I've also gotten a bunch of people to play Doom on many occasions. I used to have huge LAN games going in my high school programming class, where I had pretty much the entire class playing Skulltag deathmatch.

Once in a while when I was in high school I was able to wrangle up enough people on the library computers for ST DM, but they would all whine that I was too good at it and ask to play something different. During the programming classes it was more likely for us to play Half Life DM or early Counterstrike (this was before Steam existed, so it was easy to drag games onto one computer and play them over the network.)

During my C++ class, one person would finish the work and then email it to everyone else discretely, then we'd use the rest of the long period to DM. We even invited our teacher to play, but he just grumbled and said he preferred Quake.

I've DM'ed with some friends and whatnot, but none of them seem to be as into the game as I am. But one of my friends did enjoy playing it for about an hour.

When I had my hernia surgery, I was playing Doom95 (on a crappy laptop) in my hospital bed and 2 or 3 of the nurses recognized the game and made comments like, "I remember playing that."

AgentSpork said:

My girlfriend likes Doom and even made me a cacodemon cake for my birthday last year.

My God, that is the coolest cake I have ever seen!

While I have some friends that play Doom a little bit, I don't think anyone in my town (in that small state called Rhode Island) plays Doom as much as I do. Like you, they are swept up in newer shooters like Halo, Call of Duty and Gears of War. I used to play an emulation of 32X Doom all the time in my computer class, and one kid came up to me and said something like, "That's Doom isn't it? The graphics on that are shit, you should play some more recent games." Everyone loved it when I played Mortal Kombat though. Go figure, as I've said before, the High School/College crowd are a group of graphic-whores.

My school is like a glorified Nazi concentration camp, so I wouldn't dare to DM in a place like a library, not like I would have enough people that would want to play anyways. The one thing I find funny though is that someone secretly uploaded Halo 1 to our school's computers (or is giving it to people with his thumb drive), and everyone treats it like god came and blessed their computer's. "We can even play online over the school's network!!! You should all get it soon, it's going around!!!" Nothing new moron. Wait until the principal finds that out. :)

Hardly anyone here plays Doom anymore it seems, or they don't feel the need to share it on an forum or whatever. Sometimes it sucks not being able to share your thoughts about doom related stuff with someone from my own country.

My kids - particularly my son - play Doom. My son has also done a little bit of modding for it. Both are younger than the game.

So, there's your answer. Can't find Doomers in your town? Breed! :P

I'm afraid that doomers exist in the city, but they're just as shut-in as I am, so I may never know they exist.

I'm alone in a lot of things. A lot of people I know thing I'm crazy for listening to grindcore and powerviolence. And no one sees the significance of doom and the reasons I play it so much.

i know one guy who used to play doom with me for years, but we get to play less and less due to work and what not. the rest of the cellar crew disbanded long ago.

JohnnyRancid said:

A lot of people I know think I'm crazy for listening to grindcore

I'm right there with ya.

Heh, Last year in a useless typing class I was forced to take I decided to bring along Zdoom with the Ultimate Doom IWAD. Got it running on the computers and was playing through one E1 level when the person sitting next to me asked what it was. I told them it was Doom and I let them try it out. They liked it. I think there is a decent number of people who would like Doom over at my school.

When I went to school, we had Doom on the computers. Granted, that these computers were so old that it was pretty much what they could run. But still.

One of my friends and I play zDaemon a lot (I'm having Skulltag corruption issues). Our mere presence has brought loads of people to FFA matches. We enjoy frying people with attitude =).

I've started to teach him how to map with D Builder 2. Hopefully this will lead to something...

A few other friends vaguely enjoy Doom. I could probably get them to like it more.

I suddenly feel inspired to make a sort of chart: which doomer lives where. Then I can sell it to therapist.com.

Abyssalstudios1 said:

I suddenly feel inspired to make a sort of chart: which doomer lives where. Then I can sell it to therapist.com.

I've seen something like that already, it may have even been a thread on here?

Edit: Found it

I remember back in the day Doom used to be a lot more popular. You may be the only one actively playing it at a given moment, but there are bound to be a lot of ex-players, the trick is finding out who. Anyone who is in their 20s-40s and got into the technology scene early on should know about it.

Guest DILDOMASTER666

If I recall correctly, I live near Ty Halderman (New Orleans, LA). That's about it, though.

EDIT: Yes, apparently, I do indeed live near said Doomer.

Nobody else from Louisiana? You'd figure since we're a bunch of politically-backwards, technologically-depraved poverty-stricken rednecks with some African hooligans mixed in down here, Doom and similar retro games would be prevalent. Just goes to show you.

1. For still actively playing, discussing, and clumsily attempting to mod this ancient game, I am crazy.
2. I don't even want to find and meet other Doomers in my area. They will also be crazy.
3. If I actually tried to get someone to start playing Doom I would feel like a Jehovah's Witness.

Nobody near me plays Doom as far as I know (Maryland, USA), but then again I don't really discuss it with any of my friends. I've only opened up about my love for Doom to a few of my gamer friends, and even they think I'm crazy for playing such an old game so much. They just don't understand...

my friends at school are gears of war freaks. what im doing, to get people to try and appreciate doom, is making a wad of the school! i have one mate who is happy to play doom now and then, and my girlfriend who likes doom and is making a few levels of the wad.
my friends try to ambush me with gears of war, i try to ambush with doom. neither side is winning at the moment, but that could change when i show them the wad...

...*sigh*...anyone in Brooklyn, NY besides me lol? Kinda sucks when the only other computer gamers you chill with play nothing but WoW and refer to DooM as 'the copy/paste game'. We need a god damn gathering!!!!

You know, overall we seem like an educated and creative, but discontented, bunch. We would get along, and could use each other's company. Why aren't we already living together in a Doomers' commune?