Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Hellbent

Simple (but genius?) Weapon Mod for DM

I sometimes get the niggling suspicion that like 5 people dm anymore. Nevertheless, I think a good weapon mod for DM (and sp I suppose) would be the following! COMBINE the shotgun and chaingun so to speak. Wait, don't leave yet! you haven't heard the idea. If you pick up the shotgun and you don't yet have the chaingun, then it operates as it always does. If you pick up the chaingun, but don't yet have the shotgun, it operates as it always does. BUT... (this is a big but) if you have BOTH weapons then you have the versatility of both weapons at your fingertips; no more switching between the two weapons, they join forces to become ONE!

If you have both the shotgun and the chaingun, pressing the numbers 3 and 4 will have you holding the shotgun over the chaingun, and thus the chaingun becomes your alternative attack. Regular attack fires the shotgun, alternative attack fires the chaingun. So the idea is, you hit the opponent with the shotgun, he's hurting, so you finish him off with the chaingun without having to cycle weapons, since the chaingun is a great finisher. And maybe you could fire both of them at the same time.

Maybe a better idea is just having the chaingun act as an alternative attack for any weapon you're holding. So you're plasmaing the devil out of an opponent, you know he's almost dead, and you figure it's easier to finish him of with the chaingun.

DooMAD said:

Or you could, y'know, just... change weapons?

ehhh... you underestimate the significance of weapon change on gameplay. Do not understimate! It is everything....

Don't let the simplicity of this mod fool you. It will make doom DM much more fun!!

Estopolis2 said:

Doomguy seems to have three or four arms now.

1 arm for each gun.

updated:
although now the shotgun is aiming to the left of the chaingun.. could have the two aim in the middle.

Doom Marine said:

BFG is better.

Ehh?? BFG is fun, but surely DM isn't only fun with this weapon??

Zafbot said:

personally i think this is dumb...just keep it how it is.

Graphically it may be dumb... realistically it may be a stretch (I don't play Doom for its realism) but gameplay wise it will rock. I just haven't bothered explaining how yet. Eventually I'll get around to it if you really can't see it....

Okay, think about it. Right now chaingun and shotgun will do in a pinch, but it's not like anyone is seeking out these weapons over the plasma rifle, SSG or rocket launcher. It's kind of like in chess, if you were to combine the powers of the bishop and the knight (chaingun and shotgun) you'd have a piece as powerful as the rook (SSG/rocket launcher). The two combined still won't be as powerful, but it will make those two weapons a little more desirable.

i had this idea... 14 years ago. specifically, i thought about giving the doomguy a kind of power armor so he can wield 2 weapons at a time (i thought rockets + chaingun or plasma would be cool). i didn't know how to implement it, so i mailed id about this glorious idea which they wisely ignored.

Torr Samaho said:

i had this idea... 14 years ago. specifically, i thought about giving the doomguy a kind of power armor so he can wield 2 weapons at a time (i thought rockets + chaingun or plasma would be cool). i didn't know how to implement it, so i mailed id about this glorious idea which they wisely ignored.

wisely, huh? Now that 14 years have gone by and you're much smarter than your silly former self you realize it was such a dumb idea?

It's not a dumb idea. chaingun and shotgun together will make the two weapons more powerful in DM, where they generally fall in the shadow of the almighty SSG.

So anyone wanna help me do the sprite action and coding for this? Here's kind of what I'm thinking:

I'd suggest making a new weapon that combines a shotgun and chaingun together, make that weapon 3 and its alternate, and remove the change weapon animation between 3 and the alternate. The screens you have now just look weird. They're two distinct weapons that don't make sense together.

it's not supposed to be one weapon, but two weapons used together. I like the shotgun and chaingun. This mod also means the two can stay and continue to be used as they are.

The Lag: A combat shotgun that shoots as fast as a chaingun would be too powerful. For some reason I like the idea of being able to use the chaingun and shotgun together.

ArmouredBlood: I'm not really sure what you mean. But it sounds intriguing(?)

Hellbent said:

So anyone wanna help me do the sprite action and coding for this?

Take an afternoon, read up on DECORATE/DDF/whatever, and do it yourself. This wouldn't be hard to make at all.

Hellbent said:

wisely, huh? Now that 14 years have gone by and you're much smarter than your silly former self you realize it was such a dumb idea?

It's not a dumb idea. chaingun and shotgun together will make the two weapons more powerful in DM, where they generally fall in the shadow of the almighty SSG.

i should have elaborated: the idea i wasn`t proud of was mine, since i was proposing basically driving mechs and vehicles, with their own HUD and what not, which was a too complicated approach for doom's gameplay of brilliant simplicity. and shooting 2 kinds of projectiles at one time would make DM rather chaotic.

as i see, you just want to make the shotgun and the chaingun more useful, and i agree that doom's weapon balance is not really perfect in this regard (imo, both weapons could do a bit more damage per shot or fire faster, which is much easier to implement).

a chaingun+shotgun combo would be a weird weapon though, i think the closest thing would be half-life's MP5 with its underslung grenade launcher, a very useful and versatile weapon. iirc, beautiful doom introduced a fast-spinning secondary fire to the chaingun.

Just recolour the regular Doom chaingun dark grey and make it shoot like a shotgun, it would also esssentialy be the Spider Mastermind's weapon, it has been done before heaps of times.

actor GattlingShotty : Chaingun replaces ChaingGun
{
Weapon.AmmoGive 40
Weapon.AmmoType "Shell"
Inventory.PickupMessage "You got the gattling-shotgun! Not the big gun, but still pretty big!"
Obituary "%o was shredded by %k's gattling-shotgun."
States
{
Fire:
CHGG AB 4 A_FireShotgun
CHGG B 0 A_ReFire
Goto Ready
}
}

This simple Decorate code I quickly threw together will give you the beast you desire

Im surprised there arent as many people flatout saying "No." and that there are people actively contributing to the topic.

This idea awfully sounds like the weapon combos from painkiller, but i still like it.

The shotgun/chaingun idea can be taken from the tyridium shard (cant spell) gun from unreal, which was a smg/shotgun combo given to you early in the game.

The chaingun and shotgun have always felt a little weak to me. Maybe they just need a little boost - a bit faster chaingun, a bit faster shotgun?