Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
neubejiita

Prboom on ubuntu.

I have this problem when running prboom on ubuntu.

bejiita@deusexmachina:~$ /usr/local/games/prboom

prboom v2.5.0 (http://prboom.sourceforge.net/)
I_SetAffinityMask: manual affinity mask is 1
M_LoadDefaults: Load system defaults.
 default file: /home/bejiita/.prboom/prboom.cfg
 found /usr/local/share/games/doom/doom2.wad
IWAD found: /usr/local/share/games/doom/doom2.wad
CheckIWAD: IWAD tag /usr/local/share/games/doom/doom2.wad not present
bejiita@deusexmachina:~$ 

The Doom2.wad is fine btw, I do not know what is causing this.

UPdate: I managed to get it to run using -iwad, but it locked up and I had to kill it and Xorg and type startx again to get back to my desktop. I do not use the nvidia drivers so I want to run it software mode and have it run stably. What am I doing wrong.? I am running a vanilla kernel 2.6.28.

Check the permissions on that IWAD, they should be 644. Don't forget Linux is case sensitive, so Doom2.wad, DOOM2.WAD and doom2.wad are all different files.

Personally, I always run the game with an IWAD in my home directory:
prboom -iwad ~/doom2.wad
and alias this to 'doom', 'doom2', 'dooms', etc in .bashrc to make it easier to start the game.

I also find the version in the Ubuntu repos sucks, it's very easy to build the latest 2.5.0 from source, I suggest doing that.

Your video drivers may be the problem, I believe prboom uses OpenGL to filter textures and draw the skies. The open-source nv driver doesn't do any 3D acceleration at all. You may have to switch to the nvidia binary blob, or at least try utahglx or nouveau if you want to stick with Free Software.

If that's all too hard and you just want to play Doom in software mode, then your best bet is probably DOSBox and the Vanilla EXEs. Use "output=surface" or "output=overlay", as well as "aspect=true" and "scaler=normal2x" or "scaler=normal3x" in your dosbox.conf.

I did build it from source, and it is still unstable, but chocolate doom which I also built from source is also unstable. I think it may be he SDL libraries, but I tried to compile the latest SDL, and it failed with some error.

I have Windows XP Home SP3 on my other partition, I think I will keep that for running Zdoom for now until I fix this. Maybe I could try Fedora Core 10. The prboom & chocolate Doom run for a few seconds & just lock up.

That's really quite strange. Chocolate is dead stable for me.

You can run GZDoom with Wine, though again this requires 3D acceleration (and alot of it).

What's your aversion to the nvidia drivers?

bejiita@deusexmachina:~$ yadex
Yadex 1.7.0 (2003-12-28)
Reading config file "/home/bejiita/.yadex/yadex.cfg".
Reading game definition file "/usr/local/share/games/yadex/1.7.0/doom2.ygd".
Loading iwad: /usr/local/share/games/doom/doom2.wad...
Warning: /usr/local/share/games/doom/doom2.wad: is a pwad, not an iwad. Will use it anyway.

<SNIP></SNIP>

I just slaughtered some Barons in E1M8, so my IWAD was accidentally hacked with XWE, then. Problem fixed. I am a traditional linuxer, I have no interest in the nvidia drivers, as I use them on windows for gaming, but Linux for web browsing and I just installed Yadex, and I am sweet. But this is a bug:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/prboom/+bug/101936

neubejiita said:

I am a traditional linuxer, I have no interest in the nvidia drivers, as I use them on windows for gaming, but Linux for web browsing

Yeah, linux is MUCH better for web browsing!

entryway said:

Yeah, linux is MUCH better for web browsing!

But only with Lynx! Or Telnet!

Date: Mon Apr 2 17:29:30 2007
DistroRelease: Ubuntu 7.04
Package: prboom 2:2.4.6+dfsg-1

Old version is old. When I used a prboom binary from debian repos I got interesting crash signals. Compiling the binary from newer sources worked perfectly.

Also I find Slade much better than Yadex.

Super Jamie said:

You can run GZDoom with Wine

Or you can, you know, compile it to make a Linux-native GZDoom executable.

Did you try my suggestion of running with -nomusic? Linux MIDI playback has been known to cause lockups, and PrBoom/Chocolate Doom both use the same SDL_mixer library for playing back music.

Also, try running with -nosound and see if that makes any difference.

One other thing: these IWAD/PWAD messages are very odd. Can you run md5sum on your doom2.wad and post the results? If you have a corrupted IWAD then that wouldn't be good :)

Gez said:

Or you can, you know, compile it to make a Linux-native GZDoom executable.

I've tried to read about how on the forums, but it looks pretty difficult. If you'd like to point me in the right direction, I'd love to give it a try?

I installed timidity and got it working sort of.

The Doom2 IWAD is corrupted, but I am using the ultimate doom wad instead, and my wad I am making now is for Doom anyway. It is a remake of the Doom E1M1 to look more like a hangar.

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/prboom/+bug/101936

Here is a bug report page that displays some fixes to my problem. there is a need to make timidity a dependency of prboom to fix this issue. But running with -nosound fixed it. I will do some more testing though and report back with a fix. I will most probably do a write-up on my website @ http://bejiitas_wrath.tripod.com/my_linux_system.htm with the results and any fixes. I am running prboom 2.5.0 and the latest chocolate-doom and I will keep at it and finish my map. Maybe if I could update the SDL drivers that might fix it. EDIT: Just played some Ultimate Doom with sound & music and it was fine, I am not using pulse audio or anything, just alsa. But when I load it up, there is about a 2 second or so delay with I_InitSound before it loads. But when I just loaded it then when I had Xmms playing an mp3 at the same time there was no delay. But the sound and music does work, you need timidity installed or else you get lockups with SDL games. The issue is with chocolate doom and prboom

And I have no idea, except maybe the problem lies with the SDL libs.