Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
alamainaloha

aloha808 in wrong category

... I uploaded aloha808 to ftp.gamers.org on 17May; it is a single map, primarily for single play, Doom2 Map01. I added 8 deathmatch starting points as an option. It was listed for awhile at ftp.gamers in "newstuff". Now it is listed in the "deathmatch" category.

... Aloha808 was not designed for deathmatch. I was curious to see if it could play as a deathmatch wad.

... Guess I have to submit another text file to the administrator to move it to the regular wad category.

... Just adding deathmatch points doesn't covert the wad to a deathmatch wad automatically, right? I mean, the single player game elements are still there, right? You have to specify "deathmatch" in the command line to initiate it, if I remember right.

... There was a doomworld critique of aloha808 as a deathmatch wad, but not as a standard single player wad. They also have it in their deathmatch category. Wonder why that was? And I wonder why ftp.gamers. categorized 808 as a deathmatch wad?

any and all thoughts regarding this is appreciated.

any and all comments on aloha808 gameplay and aesthetics also appreciated.

a

alamainaloha said:

a

c

It was probably just an accident on the part of the archive maintainer. I see the text file specifies "Single play," so you should try contacting the guy to see if he'll move it, rather than re-uploading. Most people will assume the WADs are categorized correctly, since 99.999% of the time they are, so it'll likely always be listed and played and reviewed as a deathmatch map until it gets relocated. And no, start points don't convert a map to any specific style, they just add the possibility to play it in that way. I really doubt the archive maintainers analyze the files that thoroughly. It was probably just misplaced.

alamainaloha said:

any and all comments on aloha808 gameplay and aesthetics also appreciated.

a

A distinct improvement on aloha777, though the confusing layout - with rooms, stairways and corridors that look much like other rooms, stairways and corridors - is likely to deter some players. I got lost a few times while back-tracking to grab ammo/health and on the long trek from the Yellow key room to the final confrontation. Even without having to kill some enemies twice (courtesy of those damned archies) I don't know if there's enough ammo for 100% kills, unless there's a cache or two I missed.
I'd prefer to have seen the wall textures aligned in the stairwells and maybe some detailing on the corridor walls - where there's a change in elevation - to separate what are otherwise mis-aligned textures.

This post is brought to you by the letters d and e and the number 3.14159265