Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Baby Bonnie Hood

WAD-crippling bugs

No WAD is perfect, but we should hope that at least they're completely playable all the way to the end including all the secrets. Alas, this is not the case; there are WADs that have enough major mistakes to become unfinishable or un-100%-completeable when not cheating.

I've come across a few. There's TNT Evilution's MAP31 from years ago, I never finished that map back then thanks to a multiplayer-only keycard (something I've rectified now during my recent replaying of Doom, thank you patch). There's Mock 2's MAP36 that loops back to itself after finding the secret exit there, even though it was said that it had been supposedly fixed.

And just now, MAP99 of It Only Gets Worse. If I start a new game there or idclev there, it's fine; but if I get there from MAP14, I suddenly can't move at all as though I was still in a cutscene. That's just unfortunate. I suppose that game's technically finished now, but I cannot legally access all the secrets. A shame too, because it was such a fun WAD; but now I'm left with no choice but to cheat it. You mapmakers really need to playtest your own maps more extensively.

Anyone else played a WAD with a game-ruining error or two?

BSPACK.WAD: Impossible to complete for exactly the same reason as TNT MAP31... 12 years later.

NDCP2.WAD: MAP02 cannot be completed without cheating because once you get the yellow key, there is no way to exit the area without noclip. Evidence suggests this WAD wasn't properly playtested to begin with during its 3 years of development.

Lost Episode - Evil Unleashed. You cannot use the normal exit from E5M5 when played in Eternity because the next level is set to the same level in the EMAPINFO lump. I made a thread about this, but nobody ever bothered to fix it.

Baby Bonnie Hood said:

And just now, MAP99 of It Only Gets Worse. If I start a new game there or idclev there, it's fine; but if I get there from MAP14, I suddenly can't move at all as though I was still in a cutscene. That's just unfortunate. I suppose that game's technically finished now, but I cannot legally access all the secrets. A shame too, because it was such a fun WAD; but now I'm left with no choice but to cheat it. You mapmakers really need to playtest your own maps more extensively.

Not all problems are the mapmaker's fault, sometimes wads simply become victims of progress. For example - while LowTech Weapons runs fine under ZDoom 2.0.63a, some change in the way newer releases parse scripts causes a couple of odd bugs.

I'd suggest running It Only Gets Worse under ZDoom 2.1.7 to see if it's better behaved.

GreyGhost said:

Not all problems are the mapmaker's fault, sometimes wads simply become victims of progress. For example - while LowTech Weapons runs fine under ZDoom 2.0.63a, some change in the way newer releases parse scripts causes a couple of odd bugs.

Fixed. This was a bug in the Dehacked parser. However, if nobody reports such things and just fatalistically accepts that mods break - they will break!

I have no idea why this worked in 2.0.63a though. This bug far predated that version.

Graf Zahl said:

...just fatalistically accepts that mods break...

I guess everyone thought for all these years that it was part of Mock 2's joke. I still personally think otherwise, because what insane people would create four secret levels only to disallow normal access to them?

Quasar said:

Lost Episode - Evil Unleashed. You cannot use the normal exit from E5M5 when played in Eternity because the next level is set to the same level in the EMAPINFO lump. I made a thread about this, but nobody ever bothered to fix it.

I've just put in incoming a copy of lostepis.zip (and its updated text file) with this bug fixed. Everything else is unchanged.

Gez said:

I've just put in incoming a copy of lostepis.zip (and its updated text file) with this bug fixed. Everything else is unchanged.

:D ^_^ :D ^_^