Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
boris

Proof of concept: surface generator plugin

That's very nice. Great proof of concept.

But for hills, I dunno. I think they show the same problem you get with Bezier patches in Quake3 and Doom3. If you use them for geometry, you gotta work hard to make them not so sterile. You know, they're too perfect.

?, They've already done height map terrain generators. Besides, this technique isn't even related.

Though a heightmap plugin for DB2 would be really nice.

kristus said:

?, They've already done height map terrain generators. Besides, this technique isn't even related.

They have? Where?

http://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?t=6200
EDIT: the good thing about Boris Bezier patch thing here is really that it's a lot more precise than the Zterrain editor. So it can be used for architecture, like you do in Doom3 for instance. Like an arched bend will no longer be that difficult to get done right.

Butts said:

How do I get this to work?

It's not finished yet. There's no user interface, and setting the control points by entering the x/y/z coords is no fun.

kristus said:

EDIT: the good thing about Boris Bezier patch thing here is really that it's a lot more precise than the Zterrain editor.

That's mostly because ZTerrain had to use some tricks to do its job because the vertex height things hadn't been implemented back then. They are the reason this looks so much better than the old stuff because you can do seamless sector borders.

Omg a way to create teletubbies land in doom. :P

Serious: This is really cool. I love you too boris.

Impressive. It looks like another aspect of mapping is going to be too easy.

What would be really amazing would to load the ground with vertexes and then use tools like those in modelling software to pull this part up, push that stuff down, pinch here, etc... hey I'm just sayin'.

Creaphis said:

Impressive. It looks like another aspect of mapping is going to be too easy.

What would be really amazing would to load the ground with vertexes and then use tools like those in modelling software to pull this part up, push that stuff down, pinch here, etc... hey I'm just sayin'.

Something like that is actually my plan for the user interface for that addon.

Alice Jameson said:

So is this still being worked on?

The problem is that I have absolutely no clue how to do the user iterface. I'll have to do some research on how to do the drawing and stuff.

To be honest I have no idea how plugins work or anything but could the user interface be done with things or objects? Kinda like Doom Builders 3D mode? And you could set the zheigt and somehow get the coordinates from those objects? I dunno, it's just an idea.