Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Creaphis

Maps from Memory

I know what you mean. Even now, I feel as if there should be a spectre in there. Intellectually, I know that there isn't - but it still feels like there should be one.

Also, I always half expect a cacodemon to come out through the secret dummy wall simply because I stuck one in there once years ago and it must have lodged in my brain somehow.

I gave it a try, but got a bit bored with it. Here is my incomplete version: http://www.rapidspread.com/file.jsp?id=wbc3nscixa

EDIT:
Indeed, a very interesting experiment. In all submissions, I immediately can tell things which are wrong. I guess, everyone can.
Obviously, everyone remembers quite some different aspects of the map.

Enjay said:

OK, well, I'm not sure whether to be pleased with this or embarrassed.

More like worried. It looks like from a memory of a hopelessly Doom addicted. ;)
With the exception of some slight differences in the dimensions, it feels a lot like the original.

TimeOfDeath said:

I ended up finishing it but everything still feels/looks wrong.

You can say that. Stuff which obviously wasn't there in the shareware Doom, and even Doom II monsters? Come on, you must be joking, right?

LogicDeLuxe said:

I gave it a try, but got a bit bored with it. Here is my incomplete version: http://www.rapidspread.com/file.jsp?id=wbc3nscixa

Shame you didn't finish it. Its a sort of dark, brooding, smaller version of E1M1. I quite like it.

LogicDeLuxe said:

More like worried. It looks like from a memory of a hopelessly Doom addicted. ;)

I have to say, in my defense, I was lucky that the map in question was E1M1. I don't think that I could manage any other map to the same degree of accuracy. I'd probably manage a lot of E1M2. I think most of it would be OK except probably the dark flashy tech maze section. E1M3 I'd feel less confident about but it wouldn't be bad. After that, I really would be struggling. If it were Doom2 maps, I'd make a reasonable go of map01 but it wouldn't be as easy for me as E1M1. Again, the first 3 maps of the game would be reasonable but, after that, I'd really lose the plot and some I simply can't remember properly at all.

Alright, here's mine:

http://www.speedyshare.com/479159788.html

My problem is that I have both the PC and Jaguar mapsets engraved into my mind, so don't be surprised to find Jaguar E1M1 bits in my PC E1M1 recreation. Hopefully not too many, though.

Also, I did not even bother with DM, as it's been so long since I DM'ed in E1M1 that I could not even take a wild guess as to where to stick anything. However, since I opted for the Ultimate Doom E1M1, the door to the courtyard and the corresponding switch for DM is there.

Now I'm curious to see what others did and how close I was with mine.

EDIT:

Well, not too bad, about what I expected, to be honest. Some Jaguar parts did make it into the map, but like I said, I expected that to happen.

Now time to try everyone else's! :)

Enjay said:

Jesus Christ. If it wasn't for a few bits where the floor is subtly stretched, I would have opened your zipfile and checked I'd actually loaded a PWAD. That's so amazingly close it's not funny.

LogicDeLuxe said:

This is rad. You should totally finish that, or make a similar map in that style. It's so tight and dark, even the shotgunners become pretty deadly if you're not careful.

Nuxius said:

I love what you did with the barrel puzzle before the exit door. The barrelfrags are so much more visible than Romero's version.

I've actually done this exact thing before as an exercise in mapmaking and then got onto testing some of my own detailing, but didn't really bother finishing, so I'm just going to upload what I did do. As the filename suggests, it's for Doom 2: shitmap01.wad

Nuxius said:

Alright, here's mine

The first room was so close that I thought the wad didn't load for a moment.

Super Jamie said:

You should totally finish that, or make a similar map in that style. It's so tight and dark, even the shotgunners become pretty deadly if you're not careful.

I'll consider it. Of course, it won't be a contribution of this experiment anymore, though.

Enjay and Nuxius both have much better map memories than I have except when it comes to the number of enemies on HMP. Having checked out most of the entries it's now my turn to embarrass myself.

Note - this is the original E1M1 without the shortcut to the courtyard.

Nuxius, you have made me feel better. At least now I know that I'm not the only one with an unhealthy obsession with E1M1. Very close indeed.

Super Jamie, an interesting experiment. Clearly it has elements of "enhancement" rather than strict memory, but it's nicely done.

Leilei - intersting that most of the areas in yout map have taller sectors/ceilings than the original.

What about a community collaberation that replaces all of the 3 original episodes with maps mimicing the id ones?

Mr. Chris said:

What about a community collaberation that replaces all of the 3 original episodes with maps mimicing the id ones?

And the great thing about this idea is that as you go from 1-9 in each episode, the maps would get less and less like the originals. :)

Enjay said:

I know what you mean. Even now, I feel as if there should be a spectre in there. Intellectually, I know that there isn't - but it still feels like there should be one.

Also, I always half expect a cacodemon to come out through the secret dummy wall simply because I stuck one in there once years ago and it must have lodged in my brain somehow.

Wasn't there a pain elemental there in the PSX version? As well as a chaingun guy in the computer room...

So after lurking this thread, I thought I'd give it a go.

http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?vmtiocgdanz

It came out a bit cramped but overall I'm fairly pleased with the result. :)

I dig the idea of a replacement project but some maps would be atrociously hard to do, I would think. Mt. Eberus for example. Or *shudders* Limbo.

Creativity for the win? Heh. D:

Anyway, keep 'em comin! some great stuff here!

Enjay said:

Super Jamie, an interesting experiment. Clearly it has elements of "enhancement" rather than strict memory, but it's nicely done.

Thanks :) Perhaps I'll go back and finish it off one day. I had the idea at the time of expanding the design and upping the difficulty a bit, like the demons had been repopulating Phobos after Doomguy finished there, though nowhere near the ultra-hard style of something like Punishr or Go 2 It.

SirTimberWolf said:

This was fun. A bit harder than the original, due to plenty of non-deaf shotgun guys walking the map. Just messing around casually I died like 4 times.

Hoo-ee! Mighty fine crop o' maps this hahvest! How do you guys feel about packaging these up and sticking them in the archives, for the sake of posterity? If I get more "Sure, why not"'s than "Nah"'s then I'll start collecting permissions.

Enjay said:

I have to say, in my defense, I was lucky that the map in question was E1M1. I don't think that I could manage any other map to the same degree of accuracy. I'd probably manage a lot of E1M2. I think most of it would be OK except probably the dark flashy tech maze section. E1M3 I'd feel less confident about but it wouldn't be bad. After that, I really would be struggling. If it were Doom2 maps, I'd make a reasonable go of map01 but it wouldn't be as easy for me as E1M1. Again, the first 3 maps of the game would be reasonable but, after that, I'd really lose the plot and some I simply can't remember properly at all.

I chose to try recreating e1m1 as it has a special place in my memory. I was introduced to Doom via the shareware episode, which gave me an addiction I haven't kicked since, and I expect that most of us have the same backstory. Later levels in Doom are more complex and encountered less often, so they'd obviously be too difficult for a first try. MAP01 feels less special to me, as I only came to Doom 2 some time later. I think replications of MAP01 would be uninteresting products, as some would be half-hearted attempts at remembering a map that was never very important to the mapper, and for those mappers who were introduced to Doom via endless deathmatching on MAP01, rebuilding that simple map might actually be too easy to be interesting. So anyways, Enjay, "luck" had nothing to do with E1M1 being the map in question :)

However, I'm sure that many of you feel differently about these maps than I do, so if someone wants to try recreating a different map, go for it. I'm just the thread starter - I don't make the rules.

Nuxius said:

Alright, here's mine:

Haha, that's another one that made me wonder if I'd loaded a pwad.

GreyGhost said:

Enjay and Nuxius both have much better map memories than I have except when it comes to the number of enemies on HMP. Having checked out most of the entries it's now my turn to embarrass myself.

That link seems to be broken. Can you repost it?

SirTimberWolf said:

So after lurking this thread, I thought I'd give it a go.

I'm intrigued by the first room in yours. It's almost a perfect reproduction of the first room of e1m1, yet shrunken, as if it's a scale model. And on the other hand, leilei's map is significantly inflated from the original. I wonder if our tendency to expand or contract the map when recalling it hearkens to the emotional content of our memories.

Creaphis said:
I'm intrigued by the first room in yours. It's almost a perfect reproduction of the first room of e1m1, yet shrunken, as if it's a scale model. And on the other hand, leilei's map is significantly inflated from the original. I wonder if our tendency to expand or contract the map when recalling it hearkens to the emotional content of our memories.

You know, that's an interesting thought. Something to think about. :)

Hmm. I -think- I might take another stab at a different map.

SirTimberWolf said:

You know, that's an interesting thought. Something to think about. :)

It's tempting to offer some pop-psychological analysis like "The closeness of your recreation reflects a claustrophobic response to the subject matter, indicating that your first childhood fears of this game remain associated with it to this day" but the cigar is probably just a cigar.

Creaphis said:

And on the other hand, leilei's map is significantly inflated from the original.

Leileilol just likes hyper-inflated things.

Creaphis said:

How do you guys feel about packaging these up and sticking them in the archives, for the sake of posterity?

I didn't feel it worth filing the template for my wad, but you have permission with mine. Do what you like with it.

Creaphis said:

How do you guys feel about packaging these up and sticking them in the archives, for the sake of posterity?

That's fine by me so long as Ty has no objections.

That link seems to be broken. Can you repost it?

Can do, have done and added a text file - check your PM's.

Yeah, there's no need to write any text files. I just figured that if these little wads are worth preserving - and I think they are - then I'd combine them into 1 or 2 new wads and fill out one template. And it looks like new submissions are winding down so I'll get on that.

Gez said:

Leileilol just likes hyper-inflated things.

Tee hee. That's far more Freudian than anything I'd have thought of.

I never played Doom much so I tried to make it for Heretic...

So here's my E1M1 of Heretic, the docks:

http://blackthyrion.bl.funpic.de/e1m1.wad

I think partwise it is good but partwise very crappy :D For exaple the secret tunnels are wrong, I know this map mainly though my past fastruns through it so i dont know the secrets so good.
The texturing was not so complicated as I thought, i knew which texture had to be where. Item placement was much harder and the size of the rooms... But, look at it yourself if you have the Heretic IWAD ;)

Fenriswolf said:

Nice work. I think it's better than I'd do. But yeah, I guess texturing is easy when there are about... six of them.

Shit I was working on an e1m1, but I completely forgot everything about it :( Maybe I will post it here later when it is finished.

Fenriswolf said:

http://blackthyrion.bl.funpic.de/e1m1.wad

This is impressively close. especially the end section and the outdoor water area, which has some weird scaling that's put me off when I've tried to recreate it in the past.

About the only thing that's a massive break from the original is the curved auto-opening door, which you made into a right angle. Otherwise, really good job!