Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
David_Dweedle

Whats considered too easy and whats considered too hard..(need opinions)

At the Moment im about 70% done with my e1m5 map anyway! after playing thru the levels ive all ready finished with Pistol start they are Possible and still challengeing BUT when I play from lvl 1 to 4 without pistol start the levels seem to have too much health and ammo..thus the overall experiance seems babyfied.. how would I go about toneing down Ammo and Health Placement but not ruin it for Pistol starters..

As long as you have some Sergeants/Commandos, a slight surplus of tier 1 weapon ammo, and eventually an SSG within the first few rooms you should be able to balance any map for pistol start just fine.

TheeXile said:

Throw in a few Sergeants/Commandos, a slight surplus of tier 1 weapon ammo, and eventually an SSG within the first few rooms and you should be able to balance any map for pistol start just fine.

Prob is tho cant get the SSG cause im making this a E1 replacement for Ultimate Doom.. The only monsters I can use are Zombieman,SargeZombie,Imp,Demon,Invisible Demon and Barons.. I might put in some more Sarges and Zombies ot provide ammo.. i'll finish up my lvl 5 map first tho and try it all with diff ammo placement and might add afew secrets solely with Ammo Boxes and Shell boxes.

Well just remember shotguns are a cheap way to get the player up to speed without messing up the balance too much. Players usually have a healthy supply of shells at any given time in a Doom map, since it's the game's main workhorse weapon. A few extra for non-pistol starters at the start does little to mess up the balance.

TheeXile said:

Well just remember shotguns are a cheap way to get the player up to speed without messing up the balance too much. Players usually have a healthy supply of shells at any given time in a Doom map, since it's the game's main workhorse weapon. A few extra for non-pistol starters at the start does little to mess up the balance.

Level 1 in my set is pretty basic so Ive put a Shotgun and Chainsaw in secrets but on 2+ ive put the Shotgun fairly early on with Chaingun halfway thru each level.. seems to work quite nicely :).

Sufficient health is always good..not too much that it makes it too easy and not enough so it doesn't leave players scrounging for available medkits and stimpacks.

Mr. Chris said:

Sufficient health is always good..not too much that it makes it too easy and not enough so it doesn't leave players scrounging for available medkits and stimpacks.

Yes I had this issue at the start of my Wad.. I had too much health.. I had like 3 Stim packs and 1 Medkit per Room.. now theres 2 Stim packs and 1 medkit in every other room if you know what I mean.

Also I put Berserks and Blue Armors in Secrets sometimes..

And Green Armor in spots in some levels but rarely..

Also +1 health and +1 armor things I place often.

You could put a lot of big monsters at the ends of your maps so that the player uses up most of the picked up ammo, starting each map with only a little bit. Or instead of big monsters you could just not give the player any ammo after 3/4's of the map.

JohnnyRancid said:

just not give the player any ammo after 3/4's of the map.

This is what I might do.. since the Zombiemen and Sarges drop Shells and Clips I think the player could survive on the ammo drops alone... i'll try doing this tonight. cheers.