Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
David_Dweedle

Favourite Sci-fi?

Chilly Willy said:

Yeah, that was pretty funny, despite being British. ;)

Pfft, British comedy > American Comedy *10

kristus said:

Pfft, British comedy > American Comedy *10

+1

All American comedy is and ever will be is un-funny Copys of Funny british Shows like the office.

Only good American comedy was Fraiser.

Firefly, Futurama, Red Dwarf, Star Trek (except Enterprise which kind of sucked) Buffy, 3rd Rock From the Sun (more sitcom than sci-fi, but I don't care :p ), Farscape, Stargate SG1, Lost, Terminator: Sarah Connor Chronicles, probably others I'm forgetting.

I could do films as well, but I'd be here all night trying to remember them all.

David_Dweedle said:

All American comedy is and ever will be is un-funny Copys of Funny british Shows like the office.

Oh please, that's bullshit.

The office was never funny - I think the word you're looking for is painful. And America does have its share of funny shows.

They're more borderline sci-fi, but as of late Dollhouse and Fringe are amazing on the TV side. Dollhouse might not be quite as good as Firefly, but it certainly got as close as it possibly could with the second half of the season. I hope it can stick around in spite of its pitiful ratings...

Fringe might be a bit of an X-Files clone but it's still awesome.

Otherwise, it's the usual--Star Trek (TNG and the original series), Stargate (mainly the movie and SG1), Farscape, the Twilight Zone, among others. Movies would be a much longer more frustrating list to compile here...

destx said:

Oh please, that's bullshit.

The office was never funny - I think the word you're looking for is painful. And America does have its share of funny shows.

Just proves that American and British have different styles I guess.

Americans find " Wow marty! that was a amazing noise! sounded like a Fart hah! (Audience starts laughing) " Style of humour funny.

But us other Cultures find stuff like Vicar of dibley and George and Mildred Funny :)

Not worth argueing about.

Only reason I wont watch Stargate is because it Replaced Doctor Whos timeslot(Even tho this is after the actual Doctor Who series finished) So I just wont watch it cause I had a hissy fit that Doctor who finished. heh. I know sad.

destx said:

Jesus Christ. Do you actually read what you type?

Nope. Why would I? I all ready know what ive said so theres no need to read it.

Thats what you guys are for.

I read you. You read me.

I forgot to say that I did watch a lot of Babylon 5 but it was many years ago and I don't really remember much about it. One of these days I'll get back to watching it from the beginning.

For scifi I like STAR Trek TNG and DS9, Babylon 5 (back in the day), Red Dwarf.

Most recent Scifi movie I got into was Stalker. Old Russian movie which the PC games are loosely based off of. After the Chernobyl incident people who ventured back in were named Stalkers after the movie. As the "Zone" in the movie reflected Chernobyl being completely devoid of life.

It's a great foreign movie and a nice throwback to the ADD cinema of today that has cuts every 3 seconds.

destx said:

And America does have its share of funny shows.

Sanford & Son, and Married With Children are classics. I find the Brits have better comedies overall. American adaptations of british shows are pure fail.

POTGIESSER said:

For scifi I like STAR Trek TNG and DS9, Babylon 5 (back in the day), Red Dwarf.

Most recent Scifi movie I got into was Stalker. Old Russian movie which the PC games are loosely based off of. After the Chernobyl incident people who ventured back in were named Stalkers after the movie. As the "Zone" in the movie reflected Chernobyl being completely devoid of life.

It's a great foreign movie and a nice throwback to the ADD cinema of today that has cuts every 3 seconds.

Sanford & Son, and Married With Children are classics. I find the Brits have better comedies overall. American adaptations of british shows are pure fail.

Fraiser and Cheers are good for American Comedys.. I think its just a Cultural Difference. Americans like American things and British like British things.. ive noticed it applys to Videogames as well.

POTGIESSER said:

Sanford & Son[/b], and Married With Children are classics. I find the Brits have better comedies overall. American adaptations of british shows are pure fail.

You mean like the adaptation of Steptoe & Son? :-D

CODOR said:

Touché

POTGIESSER said:

Heh, while I agree that Stalker indeed is one of the best movies ever made, excelling at story, mood and the visual look, I just have to correct you.

First of all, it all started with the short story Roadside Picnic by Arkadi and Boris Strugatski. Tarkovski then thought that it would make a fine movie, in which he turned out to be quite correct. This in turn inspired Arkadi and Boris Strugatski to expand their original writing to a full blown novel. Fast forward a few decades and the game comes out. The game borrows ideas from both the novel and the movie. Note that the movie is quite a lot different from the novel, so much that almost the only thing in common with them is the concept of zone (which was caused by aliens in the novel and by a mysterious meteorite in the movie. Only in the game it's based around Chernobyl).

Now to actually contribute. As someone else before me, I enjoy pretty much all the scifi by the legendary authors like Clarke, Asimov, Lem and such. The latest novel I read was Nightfall, which I believe is an expansion of the Asimov's short story that carries the same name. He wrote it with some other fellow, but I don't remember who the bugger was.

My favourite scifi series is Babylon 5 by far, and I like how many episodes are worth watching again, because of the setting and believable and often humorous dialogue. The actiony parts are not bad, but what I mostly liked about the series was how it reflected to this world we live in with all that messed up space diplomacy. Truly a great series.

I can't really decide on my favourite scifi movie. As for some movie that hasn't got mentioned yet, 12 Monkeys is really nice and may feature Brad Pitt's best performance.

And my favourite scifi game is Elite. B)

Star trek, Star Wars, Stargate, Farscape, Doctor Who (all versions), Hitchhiker's Guide, and Babylon 5.

TheDigitalNomad said:

As for sci-fi on television, I'm a big Stargate SG-1 fan. At least before Richard Dean Anderson left. Although I haven't seen the show a whole lot after Claudia Black and Whats-His-Face-From-Farscape joined, it just isn't the same.

Ben Browder and Claudia Black are both awesome, and their quirky humor fits in just fine in SG1.

In books, I've always been a big fan of Heinlein (early Heinlein more than late), and A.E. van Vogt. I read one of his short stories for a forensics competition back in Jr High that won me an award. The Weapon Shops of Isher and The Silkie are still big favorites on mine. Of course, I also like a lot of the big names - Clark, Asimov, etc.

Books: Arthur C. Clarke, Ray Bradbury, Philip K. Dick, Robert A. Heinlein, H.G. Wells, Jules Verne, Isaac Asimov

Movies: Star Trek (ALL OF THEM!!!!), Star Wars (even Episode I a little bit), 2001: A Space Odyssey, Stargate, Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, original Planet of the Apes, Alien, Aliens...

TV: Star Trek (ALL OF THEM!!!!), Sliders (at least the first 3 seasons), can't think of anything else right now...

If you want GOOD Star Wars Prequels, you need to watch the Magnolia Fan Edit versions. He's supposed to have his fan edit for RotS sometime this year. That'll be AWESOME! :D

CODOR said:

Redd Foxx took the concept of Steptoe and ran with it. The U.S was coming out of major race riots, and it was still OK to laugh at poverty, so Sanford & Son was born. You'll never see anything as un-PC as Lamont having the cops eat the dope, or the classic with Fred defending Lamonts' traffic ticket:

Fred: "why don't you arrest any white drivers?"
Cop: "I do!"
Fred: "Well where are they? Look at all the nig**** in here!" *waits several seconds for the audience to stop belly-laughing...* "There's enough nig**** in here to make a Tarzan movie!"

tigertoddy said:

Redd Foxx took the concept of Steptoe and ran with it. The U.S was coming out of major race riots, and it was still OK to laugh at poverty, so Sanford & Son was born. You'll never see anything as un-PC as Lamont having the cops eat the dope, or the classic with Fred defending Lamonts' traffic ticket:

Fred: "why don't you arrest any white drivers?"
Cop: "I do!"
Fred: "Well where are they? Look at all the nig**** in here!" *waits several seconds for the audience to stop belly-laughing...* "There's enough nig**** in here to make a Tarzan movie!"

I remember that episode well. That was one of the all-time classics that will never be allowed to be made again.

I'm going to have to add Doctor Who to my list. The show is fucking awesome.

Movies:
Nightbreed (well that movie is like a fantasy and horror combination but since it's not solely one or the other I'll list it here), Repoman (a punk movie but also sci-fi), Dagon, Dark City, original DeathRace2000, Heavy Metal and Heavy Metal 2000 (for some reason HM2000 reminds me of Strife, actually the first does too now), I've only seen parts before but probably Toxic Avenger and maybe its sequals (another punk+sci fi combination), Leviathon, SuperNova, Blade Runner, Terminator movies, Aliens movies, Predator movies (Haven't seen any of the vs movies), Robocop 1&2

TV shows:
Classic Twilight Zone, Lexx, I have to confess I like Heroes (Sylar is badass, but not to mean Hiro isn't),

I read a good amount books but not really any in the Sci-Fi genre.