Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
unidenti7ied

a simple question about floor and ceiling textures

Hey everybody. Just a simple question:
I added some textures in my pwad, anything works fine and all, but I wonder, if it is important to add an extra 'F_START' and 'F_END' marker, for the new floor and ceiling textures? In older versions of some DooM ports, when u add a normal 'patch' file into your levels on the floor or ceiling, there was an error and the floor and ceiling textures did not appear.

THX for any help, unidenti7ied

I'm not sure what you mean by "extra" markers, but yes, if you want your wad to work properly in all ports you should put your flats in between F_START and F_END markers.

Take a look at the Doom2 IWAD.

There are several groups of flats arranged like this:

F_START
F1_START
|
F1_END
F2_START
|
F2_END
F3_START
|
F3_END
F_END

You could replicate that scheme.

Thx for the help!
But there is another 'strange' thing about this 'F_START', 'F_END', 'P_START' and 'P_END' markers. Some people say, that it is also important to name this markers 'FF_START', 'FF_END', or 'PP_START' and 'PP_END'. Why could this be important?

The odd double-lettered markers used in some wads are, if I remember right, to trickily work around some odd limitations in how vanilla Doom (that being the original Doom.exe/Doom2.exe) handles reading textures and flats.

I think it's that you use FF_START as your opening flat marker, then F_END as your closing marker. The FF_START is ignored(?) by Doom, but the F_END replaces the previously-loaded F_END marker from the iwad and thus allows your pwad's flats to also be recognized as part of the flats list. Something like that..

Yeah, basically everything between the last F_START and the last F_END will be treated as a flat. For fun and profit, try putting F_END at the end of your wad file and using in your map a flat named "MAP01". :P

Everything before the last F_START will presumably be ignored, so that's why you get to use FF_START instead.