Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Udderdude

Map thief ahoy

http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/?id=15729

Complete rip-off of

http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/?id=11062

The guy didn't even bother to change the map even the slightest bit. Exact same filesize, modification date, TITLEPIC (!!!).

There's a very good chance http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/index.php?id=15727 is also a rip-off, but I have no identifying information on that one. The modification date is 7/20/1998.

Right you are

superjamie@one:~/Desktop$ md5sum *.WAD
443c72c838f7be1c14dababbcac9976f  Alien Vendetta.WAD
a0d790ead4961c00d6cddaae8be755a3  ASH2ASH.WAD
a0d790ead4961c00d6cddaae8be755a3  FOA8.WAD

I guess he just didn't bother including the texture .wad, which explains the missing of textures.

Fuck, and I just wrote a /newstuff review for that map, too. Well, guess it's not worth much now.

What's especially baffling is that his previous "release" before these two was 10 years ago. Why suddenly show up 10 years later and upload some other people's maps claimed as your own? Makes no sense at all .. unless it's someone trying to smear Harq's name. Someone got a grudge against this guy?

Sounds to me like just another lulzy idiot doing what lulzy idiots do best. There's really only one thing you can do about people like these.

Justifiable homocide is still not an accepted legal defence in many countries - worse luck. Here's a couple of slightly more acceptable alternatives -

Report them anonymously to Homeland Security as a terrorist sympathiser.
Use their email address when opting-out from spammer mailing lists.

Any other suggestions?

Report them anonymously to Homeland Security as a terrorist sympathiser.

As on the Daily Show about the Terrorist Hotline: "Lately, my neighbor has been eating a lot of Falafel and Baba Ganoush."

Have someone delete the copies, first, then block their IPs.

Kudos to original poster for being observant. How did you find them? All by chance?

As far as I am concerned, this is no different from when people rip sprites, textures, etc.

kristus said:

As far as I am concerned, this is no different from when people rip sprites, textures, etc.

How? If you rip a sprite or texture, it's then implied that you re-use it in some different way with your own spin on it.

Edit: Or do you mean you're equally against sprite/tex ripping?

Super Jamie said:

Edit: Or do you mean you're equally against sprite/tex ripping?

Download Nimrod or Phobia and read the text file. Then you get the idea.

And no, despite what some people think it's not the same to borrow some resources from a WAD than to try to pass others' work as your own.

printz said:

Have someone delete the copies, first, then block their IPs.

Kudos to original poster for being observant. How did you find them? All by chance?

I loaded it up and saw the TITLEPIC which clearly says Ash to Ash by Virgil the Doom Poet. Kind of a giant giveaway.

The chances that the guy who uploaded these is actually Harq is pretty small.

kristus said:

I haven't even downloaded the file to see what it is, but I'm taking what I understand from posters' word for it.

What the incriminated file contains is an exact copy of an older release. What you're referring to is resources ripped from other wads without authors' permission in the text file. Both break the rule. The difference is that a completely copied wad can be easily and unregretably deleted from the repository, so it has no chance to be left alive, unlike ripped-resource wads, which still have fun map material some players may not want gone.

TheeXile said:

There's really only one thing you can do about people like these.

Get extremely angry type in all caps and write really long posts about what an asshole he is? Because that's what I'm about to do.

JohnnyRancid said:

Get extremely angry type in all caps and write really long posts about what an asshole he is? Because that's what I'm about to do.

noooo BANHAMMER ON HARQ!!!!!! well you were half right

udderdude said:

Makes no sense at all .. unless it's someone trying to smear Harq's name. Someone got a grudge against this guy?

Makes perfect sense to me and it's not neccessarily a grudge against Harq. Borrowing the nickname of someone who's previously uploaded to the archive - but not a mapper who's currently active - and naming the wads so they appear to be part of an ongoing series wasn't a bad idea. The miscreant probably hoped their deception would go un-noticed long enough for the wads to appear in T/nC so he could let us - or some other forum - know what a bunch of fools we are. Fortunately for us, they didn't playtest their uploads and/or don't know how to use a lump editor.