Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Joshy

The Fall of Newdoom

kristus said:

I remember when this guy contacted me on ICQ, claiming to be WMull's cousin. He then carried on to telling me that WMull claimed that I and some others were conspiring to bring down Newdoom.

If there's any truth or not to it, I dunno. But it was pretty fun. The only thing I can think of that may have made WMull come to that conclusion, was that I moved my site from ND to DW. And I together with someone else (maybe it was Kaiser) suggested to the Legacy leader Hurdler, that they should do the same.

At one point I volunteered to Hurdler to look after the legacy site, I think this was probably roughly when it was clear Boris had left the project, and he gave me the go ahead. About a week or so later he mailed me to say that Wmull had spit the dummy for some reason and he wanted to do it himself. I think he made it a condition of continued hosting or somesuch. I wonder if this was what his cousin was talking about? I probably suggested moving the site from ND, as I never liked it.

SFJake said:

Its annoying, because I was on newdoom since 2004 and now I start over. I -love- having very old forum account, for some reason. Oh well.

Me too -- and this isn't my first DW account either :(

as someone who has been a spectator to doom community drama for over a decade:

i am so utterly unsurprised.

Mr. Chris said:

That's exactly what I posted that got me banned.

I also wonder how many ex-NDers who didn't want to give into WMull's extortionist tactics on having to register for forum access are going to mouth off about him here?

It seems Mystic is the only paid member over there..if he loves talking to himself that is.

I don't think Mystic has quite figured it out that he's the only one yet. I'm amused and sympathetic at the same time.

I'd throw him a bone, but I don't have any contact info for him. I can only wonder if he gave William the $18.50 or if he only paid for a month.

Wow, $18.50? That's pretty expensive, compared to SA's $10 lifetime(?) access.

Mr. Chris said:

PS Alio: You need a Winona avatar.

Yeah, wasn't one in the list. The avatar list was confusing. It listed four pages but was only willing to show me the first and last.

Mystic only paid for a month I think. I have his contact info but he never comes online anymore. Maybe I should sling an e-mail his way.

Jon said:

At one point I volunteered to Hurdler to look after the legacy site, I think this was probably roughly when it was clear Boris had left the project, and he gave me the go ahead. About a week or so later he mailed me to say that Wmull had spit the dummy for some reason and he wanted to do it himself. I think he made it a condition of continued hosting or somesuch. I wonder if this was what his cousin was talking about? I probably suggested moving the site from ND, as I never liked it.

Ah, maybe it was you who I were talking to then.

Much like Whataburger, I never saw anything in New Doom that hadn't been done better elsewhere.

I can't say I really miss the place, despite NewDoom being the first Doom forum I've ever been a member of.

Danarchy said:

Apparently we are a forum of elitists...

Actually, that's the reason I stopped posting at NewDoom and (somewhat) posting more here. Maybe it's just me, but I got more of the elitist vibe from NewDoom than I do here.

I never had any problems here. Maybe it's because I think before I post to make sure it isn't stupid and exploitable. :P Nonetheless, I like it here.

Huh, I never knew it was Assmaster that did the haxoring. I knew that someone found WMull's password here when the DW DB went weird and used it on Newdoom. I also knew that deathz0r didn't hack the place, but just did the most "damage" by changing the forum's colors to vomit-inducing tones and posting goatse everywhere. I also figured he got banned from here for a year just because someone needed a scapegoat, probably to appease WMull, who (knowing him) might have tried to DW for harboring hackers or some shit. I never did know who did it, even though I asked around....

Actually, now that I think about it, he might have told me himself. I have a really spotty memory sometimes.

Yeah, I knew about the whole raven-games incident and Ichor's involvement in it. Phoebus is just one of those cyber-tin-pot despots who think he's awesome just because he registered all the "good" domain names.

Aliotroph? said:

Doom Dude just passed 32000 posts. It said 10000 but that was because we all got reset after the hacking thing when he had about 22000.

Oh wow. I'd probably have as much posts here if I hadn't have taken so many sabbaticals from posting.

I have to admit that I'm a bit of an elitist myself, but it's not you guys' faults that I'm so great. :)

Also, it had kind of occurred to me a couple weeks ago that I hold/held the fourth most posts over there on NewDoom, and that might mean that I actually might have had some bearing on how people perceived the place seeing as I was kind of important and post counts mean everything.

Then I realized that I don't really care. But still. I hope I didn't really piss anyone off too much, though. I'm sure if I was actually causing any problems, I would have Keen'd a long time ago.

Also, I just realized that I don't really have anything useful to say now, so I'm going to shut up.

O hay, there's a second page here.

Aliotroph? said:

Yeah, wasn't one in the list. The avatar list was confusing. It listed four pages but was only willing to show me the first and last.

Mystic only paid for a month I think. I have his contact info but he never comes online anymore. Maybe I should sling an e-mail his way.

Well when you reach 250 posts you can just upload your own. At a larger size even. 48x48 as opposed to 36x36.

Nems said:

Actually, that's the reason I stopped posting at NewDoom and (somewhat) posting more here. Maybe it's just me, but I got more of the elitist vibe from NewDoom than I do here.

I never had any problems here. Maybe it's because I think before I post to make sure it isn't stupid and exploitable. :P Nonetheless, I like it here.

Well there have at times been stricter modding here than there is now. We don't allow for retarded posts or forum games here as much as other sites. Also, when someone has a terrible idea for a WAD/project/team, we tend to tell them so. Hell, we even have the newproject tag just for that. That and at one point in time we had a crack team of resident counter-trolls. Speaking of which...

Planky said:

*though I haven't seen DN post in a long time...

He's been trying to make it on his own recently and hasn't been able to afford Internet. He sends a couple updates every now and then, though.

I would definitely like to learn more about DN's experiences. I'm sure one of these days someone will write a book about it or something.

Wow, I've been registered here for years and haven't reached 250 posts. A bit sad that is considering I always find something to reply to when I do wander by.

Why are there now two Nomads? Is that elitist thing going to his head? ;)

Nomad said:

I would definitely like to learn more about DN's experiences. I'm sure one of these days someone will write a book about it or something.

What about a movie wad about the fall of NewDoom, in similar to the "Community is Falling" movie wads?

Yeah, I found my old account password so I'm using this one now. I should have tried harder before, but whatever.

I'm sure a movie wad will come out about this momentous occasion. I've already got too much shit on my plate to bother with it any time soon myself. :P

I'm seeing some familiar names, names that I would never expect to see on Doomworld. All good for Doomworld I suppose, the more doomers the merrier. NewDoom looks deserted, only one or two active posters there.

sLydE said:

We really, really need to get some more dialog going on about this. I can't even seem to find out how to contact anyone who is "working" on the project.

Doomworld Forums 3

Yo, it's Fatal (for the second time at Doomworld, hee hee hee).

So I figured that I might step into this puddle as well since I apparently had registered an account some time ago under hazy circumstances.

As someone posted on the first page, I still had my posting rights for being a mod at the review forums, and used the grand opportunity to post a thread in which I tell Phoebus how it is. I wish the thread didn't get deleted a few hours afterwards, but at least the post was salvaged and posted all over the internet before all was lost.

Anyway, not a newbie here, either, and I guess this is a good place to say hello.

No, I didn't read the rules to see if that's allowed.

Is it just me, or am I the only one thinking people might be jumping the gun a bit here? The subscription to post thing might just be a cock-up caused by migrating the forums to the new server. For example, my private messaging inbox currently states "Your PM box is 100% full. You have 71 messages stored, of a total 5 allowed". I mean, clearly that's not right.

I'm guessing the subscription would probably be just for using 'advanced features' and not general posting, it's just not set up right yet.

//Edit
Nope, disregard that. Just sounded too retarded to be true, but sadly it looks like that's how it is.

No, that's how it is. In my email this morning:

Subject: Changes at the New Doom Forums
Dear Super Jamie,

Thanks for being a registered user at $vboptions[bbtitle]!

Please note, due to costs involved in keeping the forums online -- in fact, on a much faster and robust server, with many new features and enhancements, dedicated solely to the forums and providing the best community home possible! -- we have changed the registered status for members of the forums. You should still be able to view threads/posts now, but there is now a Paid Member status for posting, etc.
If you would like to be able to make posts and enjoy all the many new, full features of our community (including your own Blog, Album, File Attachments, Super-Enhanced Profile with User Messaging, etc., here's how, once you've logged in:

* Go to your User CP
* Click on Paid Subscriptions under Miscellaneous on the left navbar
* Click the drop-down menu under Cost:, select the amount, click the Order button, and then
* To pay for your subscription using PayPal click the Order Using PayPal button below and follow the onscreen instructions.

We are glad you have chosen to be a part of our community and we hope you enjoy your stay.

All the best,
$vboptions[bbtitle]

Wow. I kind of had trouble believing it since it just sounds beyond stupid, even by wmull's standards. But yeah, I've just checked my email and seen that too. Just... wow.

I got that email too. Either the email's a marketing attempt and he actually expects the pay model to thrive, or the email is meant simply to add insult to injury, as if he's doing all this just to get more negative attention drawn to him.

I, for one, welcome our new $vboptions[bbtitle] overlord!

I never got that e-mail. I suspect Newdoom has my olde myrealbox address that died years ago. Phoebus made a very similar announcement on the forums though. It only showed up as a thread in rants so some people probably didn't see it. It didn't mention the features of the new software.

His logic is just backwards. A fundraiser with a target might have worked better. Doubt it would pay for the whole thing, but it would help and it could maybe give regulars an extra little perk or two (custom titles, better avatars, etc.) while letting the newbies flood in to ask their questions as usual.

You can still send PMs to Phoebus without paying. I wonder what we should say to him..... heh.

Enumerating the facets of his illogic might be productive. Then again, it might not.

I pointed out to Doom Dude that I doubt my suggestion of a more normal fundraising scheme would get more than a handful of us to pay anyway.

EDIT: Phoebus rejiggered the thing so it lets nonsubscribers post five times a day.