Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Joshy

The Fall of Newdoom

Before I started posting here a bit more actively recently, I had been told by several people from NewDoom (Not going to name anyone) that this place was full of elitist jackasses that would look for any reason they could find to ban you.

Looks like they let Phoebus fool them.

It seems Phoebus/NewDoom is the elitist when some people over there were calling this place the same thing. I guess now Phoebus is the real elitist now...

I guess he's not gonna come over here and defend himself, how thoughtful...

Mr. Chris said:

It seems Phoebus/NewDoom is the elitist when some people over there were calling this place the same thing. I guess now Phoebus is the real elitist now...

I guess he's not gonna come over here and defend himself, how thoughtful...

Not like there's much he can say for himself after all these years of letting ND slip. It was slipping even before the DB was lost when he started started freaking out with his admin powers. Heh I remember this story about how he had an e-crush on Goldeyes (who was with Doom2Hell IRL) and threatened to ban her if she stepped down from being a moderator.

But you can guarantee with how obsessed the guy is with himself that he's sitting here lurking these websites watching every post we make about him or his empire.

Indeed. I've had enough of this bullshit. I logged off and removed the site from my bookmarks.

Normally I wouldn't be so unforgiving, especially so soon, but Phoebus really officially ruined it for me this time. I will not be able to feel the same going back there--and I don't imagine I'm alone in that sentiment.

Funny story. Unidoom was not only the first hosted page on Newdoom, but also the first to be kicked off (roughly 6 hours). Great times.

No but seriously, you'd have to pay me to even care about using their forums.

So, that guy payed for the forums all of these years? It sounds like some of you guys think he owes you something more (as if paying to host your community wasn't enough).

Because the man was a prick. He didn't even ask for donations, he just assumed he was entitled and people were desperate enough to pay.

If my fav forum was in danger I'd throw a few dollar donation.

The problem, though, is that he imposed an obscenely high subscription fee on all the existing users without telling them it was coming, and literally banned everybody until they paid up. No matter how one looks at it, that is a horrible way of trying to raise money for a website. It's stupid and it immediately makes the users feel like they're being exploited for the sake of their tyrannical administrator, rather than donating money to their internet community. That's how he should have done it: trying to raise funds without fucking people over is always an option. And he can't argue that that would be unproductive since I doubt more than one person will ever pay his fee.

The other problem is that, from what I've heard, he's used his admin powers far too much, and has banned people for pretty minor things like criticizing him or the site. Even if he is paying for the site himself, that doesn't mean the users should be okay to put up with bullshit like that. The "five posts a day" thing, even if adequate for Newdoom, is a perfect example of too little too late...as newt pointed out, it'll be hard for him to entice people back to the site after this and all the other loony shit he's done.

TimeOfDeath said:
He sure sounds like a selfish prick - paying for community forums for years.

If I'm not mistaken, he got (or gets) money from ads. I'm pretty sure he set these "Mindless games" sites up to do business.

Some of us were thinking of donating to it before, especially since he announced he was growing tired of it. He never made the donation thing a permanent fixture, though. He put it up for like a week and since he didn't get a rush right then he killed it. (yeah, some of us need to get paid before we can donate...)

People are mad because of the way he treats others, his inconsistent policies, and the way he acts as though he's God of the community. There are just too many matching tales from too many people for it to be any other way.

I don't think he ever liked the Newdoom crowd as much as the Raven-Games crowd. He gave that place a political forum while talking about it at all was banned on ND. And if you look at his posts on that site, he gave a bit of warning and was nicer about the whole payment thing. On ND he kicked it in so fast even Doom Dude was shocked by it. If he doesn't like us he ought to just say it. He'll feel better, we'll live, etc, etc.

Speaking as a person who never posted on NewDoom, and hasn't visited it for about 4 years, I welcome any NewDoom refugees to Doomworld. I hope you enjoy your stay. It always seemed like the 3Drealms of doom sites, and I'm not surprised it went balls in the wind.

Heh, this thread is turning into a Doom Community Reunion. Thank you Phoebus for giving us this moment. Seriously, I'm seeing people I haven't seen post for years and all kinds of memories are flooding back to me now from reading these posts.

I was going to start quoting posts and replying to them, but no one wants to see like 20 of those in a row in one post. This is one busy thread here.

Danarchy said:

into a Doom Community Reunion.

Too bad it's only on the web.

Xenphire said:

But you can guarantee with how obsessed the guy is with himself that he's sitting here lurking these websites watching every post we make about him or his empire.

I always said that on t3h int3n3ts, pretty much anybody with the time and will can become a little petty king in his little petty kingdom, be that a forum, a community, or a CS server, and whether his title is that of "admin", "mod", "webmaster" or whatever.

This usually is pretty benign until the "king" actually gets some "subjects" to order, boss around and in general to enforce some arbitrary rules upon. Of course, this is only ever noticed in large communities/popular subjects, where people are more willing to partially put up with such a situation because they wish to remain part of the community. Even in that case there are limits, though, and that Phoebus guy surely broke them.

Regarding his banning policy, it doesn't sound particularly bad or atypical, at least compared to what I've seen here or elsewhere. However the economic factor surely killed things off a LOT faster than even the most draconian forum rules would ever do, anywhere. Only SA goons are willing to accept both a large compendium of arbitrary rules AND paying a good buck for membership.

Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely.
Behold the power of the intarwads.

It is rather sad to see webmaster/mods become drunk on their power, since all they're doing is providing a service who's soul idea is to provide information between people. At least doomworld mods seem to have a decent sense between conversation, unpopular discussion, trolling, douchebaggery, and illegal activity.

fraggle@forelli:~$ whois newdoom.org
NOT FOUND
Looks like an opportunity waiting right there.

Ralphis said:

Funny story. Unidoom was not only the first hosted page on Newdoom, but also the first to be kicked off (roughly 6 hours). Great times.

That's a story that needs to be told. I've yet to hear it.

If his other sites go bottom-up, I wonder if he'd ever register here. We should welcome him with open arms should such a thing occur.

Bucket said:

If his other sites go bottom-up, I wonder if he'd ever register here. We should welcome him with open arms as the lulz cow should such a thing occur.

Fixed.

Someone has to register NewDoom.org and mock Phoebus!

Likewise, all the recent events will make a nice moviewad like the old ndmovie#.wad did.

Bucket said:

Well, now you've scared him off.

Like the rest of the thread hinted at a warm, friendly welcome. But maybe yes, why not, it would be interesting to hear his side of the story the very least.