Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Reaper978

Chaingun sound replacement

I remember a little bit ago someone had mentioned that the chaingun (as well as the pistol) had a pretty weak "popping" sound as it fires. I'm inclined to agree, I never much cared for that sound though I think it fits the pistol better. Has anyone made a good replacement for the chaingun firing sound? What about giving it the the shotgun firing sound ala the chaingun dude?

If you do that it won't sound right because the player's chaingun doesn't actually fire at the same rate as the chaingunner's.

Also, depending on the port you use, changing the chaingun sound may mean changing the pistol sound as well -- in the original executable, they're hardcoded to use the same sound.

Nonsense. DSSHOTGN still rocks, even for the player chaingun. The timing difference is no issue.

There really should have been a seperate sound for chainguns (Both for the player and commandos) .. but IMO, they just got lazy.

Maybe the chaingun sound from Doom 3 would work. Add a bit more volume to it, too.

printz said:

Nonsense. DSSHOTGN still rocks, even for the player chaingun. The timing difference is no issue.

I'm completely ignorant of how to do this myself. Has this simple modification been made already/how would I do it?

If you are mapping for Zdoom, you can do it with a simple SNDINFO entry.

Make a text file and call it sndinfo.txt

put this in it

weapons/chngun			dspistol
Change DSPISTOL to whatever sound lump name you want to use. Save the file. Put it in a WAD or PK3 (or just leave it as a text file) and load it as you would any other WAD.

Doom Enhanced changes the chaingun sound to sound more like the chaingunner's. I think it also adjusts the sound to fit the rate of fire. It changes a lot of other stuff too but I still recommend it because it's awesome

udderdude said:

Maybe the chaingun sound from Doom 3

That definitely works well.

Mothmonsterman said:

Doom Enhanced changes the chaingun sound to sound more like the chaingunner's. I think it also adjusts the sound to fit the rate of fire. It changes a lot of other stuff too but I still recommend it because it's awesome

Indeed it is awesome. Thanks for pointing it out.