Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
brianklein

question about zdoom and TC wads???

I am having problems running custom wad with zdoom. First of all do the cheat codes for Doom and Doom 2 work for zdoom, and secondly how come i can not get the windows key + R function to work on my computer??? I'm also trying to run a Total Conversion of Wolfenstein 3D in Zdoom but it just isn't working. Can someone help me???

The Wolfenstein 3D conversion is from this site:
http://www.afadoomer.com/wolf3d/howto.html

I followed these instructions but they didn't work.

Yes, all the cheat codes that work in Vanilla Doom work in ZDoom, as far as I know. There are plenty more "debugging" cheats you can use via the ZDoom console as well.

You are going to have to be more specific about your request getting this TC to work, however. That page seems straightforward enough to me, although incredibly outdated.

The problem is that the TC Wolfenstein 3D conversion doesn't happen. When i drag the Wolf3D.wad file to Zdoom the original Doom2.wad runs NOT the conversion
On this site it says to do the following with custom wads:

http://www.doomworld.com/vb/doom-ge...-windows-steam/

"Additionally, in order to use custom WADs, unzip them into c:\doom2 as well and then either drag the wad file onto the ZDoom executable in order to launch it, or hit Windows key + R to open the run menu and type in "c:\doom2\zdoom.exe -file wadname.wad" to kick it old school."

I did that with Zdoom and the Wolf3D.wad and it just loaded the original Doom 2 game NO total conversion. What am i doing wrong???

"Navigate to the newly-unzipped 'Wolf3D_Demo' folder and double-click 'Wolf3D.bat' or 'SoD.bat', depending on which game you want to play." is not the same as "drag the Wolf3D.wad file to ZDoom". By any means

@Nomad - Just curious, what do you think is outdated on the page? I'll update it...

brianklein said:

"Additionally, in order to use custom WADs, unzip them into c:\doom2 as well and then either drag the wad file onto the ZDoom executable in order to launch it, or hit Windows key + R to open the run menu and type in "c:\doom2\zdoom.exe -file wadname.wad" to kick it old school."

I did that with Zdoom and the Wolf3D.wad and it just loaded the original Doom 2 game NO total conversion. What am i doing wrong???

What you're doing wrong is that you aren't running the TC the way the instructions tell you to. You are supposed to run Wolf3D.wad as an iwad and the pk3s and pwads, no Doom 2 needed.

Well, the part about the "latest version of ZDoom" is probably a little unnecessary. I'm sure any current version would work just fine.

brianklein said:

I followed these instructions but they didn't work.

brianklein said:

The problem is that the TC Wolfenstein 3D conversion doesn't happen. When i drag the Wolf3D.wad file to Zdoom the original Doom2.wad runs NOT the conversion

Well, those two quotes are mutually exclusive. The instructions on the page that you linked to are totally different from "drag the WAD to Zdoom" but that's what you said that you did. If you want the TC to run, you must follow the instructions on the site that you linked to.

For other "getting Zdoom to run" instructions, this page may come in handy.

http://zdoom.org/wiki/Installation_and_execution_of_ZDoom

Personally, I would recommend this frontend

http://twicerisen.ath.cx/zdl/

That works very well for most WADs but remember that for the WolfTC you still need to do what the site you linked to says and not use any of the other launching methods.

IIRC, that wad has multiple files in it. All 6 episodes plus some of the effects are all needed to run the game.

Drag all of these files into your doom 2 folder. Then, highlight all of the 6 episode files/effects files that came with the wolf3d wad by holding down the control key. Finally, click and hold any of those highlighted ones (doesn't matter which), and drag it onto the zdoom icon. (All of those highlighted files will be automatically added). Then the game should work.

Personally, I'd recommend you use GZdoom, but I believe zdoom will work just fine.

No! The instructions on the site are what you should use. The TC is not intended to be run like a normal WAD. It doesn't even use the normal Doom(2) IWAD for most of (any of?)the basic game information. It has its own minimal dummy IWAD. The best way to run it is using the batch files that come with it - as explained on the site.

Nomad said:

Yes, all the cheat codes that work in Vanilla Doom work in ZDoom, as far as I know.

They seem to work just fine in the Wolf3D TC as well, or at least idclip does.

And speaking of the TC, it's almost exactly like I'm playing Wolfenstein again. Except I can look up and down, which serves no purpose here anyway.

It's very awesome, although it's not perfect: A few spots have HOMs, the red Pacman ghost is missing a frame so it appears to be blinking in and out, and there's this vital secret passage in E3M4 that wouldn't trigger forcing me to idclip through it because it was blocking the way to the rest of the level.

After playing through all 60 levels of the Wolf3D TC (E6 was surprisingly tough), I have to say that it's an excellent TC.

However, I did notice something that might be a map conversion error. The quadruple doors in E5M1 strangely enough have walls placed between them; again, I was forced to idclip through them. The same thing happened again in E5M3 with the locked door leading to the exit lift, a wall between both doors. And I guess that was what also happened in E3M4, a wall between the door and the pushwall. I think there were also a couple other such blocked doors in the earlier episodes, but they didn't impede the way to the exit so I didn't think it was strange at the time. Anyway, I couldn't be the only one who has experienced this... unless ZDoom 2.3.1 is at fault, but I dunno.

There's also another glitch, though minor. The ending cutscene in E5 doesn't play properly; B.J. just runs in place, and that's it. The game still proceeds as normal though, so it's not that big a deal. I don't know why that happened though, when the same cutscene worked just fine in E1.

Baby Bonnie Hood said:

However, I did notice something that might be a map conversion error.

Most probably.