Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
samtheslug

Best Doom Console Port?

What do you think is the best Doom console port?
In my opinion, I think the Playstation port of Doom is the overall best. It's lighting, music and sound really creates atmosphere. It also featured alot of new sound such as new enemies grunting and moaning and it also had some new weapon sounds. The link cable multiplayer was a great addition too.

PrBoom for the GP2X. It actually runs the Vanilla IWAD instead of the Jaguar-like rooms which lack alot in the detail I'm used to. You can properly circlestrafe thanks to joystick and shoulder buttons. The dual 400mhz CPUs actually handle it at speed. And you can play megawads and TCs just like on a computer.

GBA Doom 2 is good for the original look and gameplay reasons too, though the controls are a bit more fiddly.

Honestly I don't know how anyone plays the hard levels well without WASD + mouse.

Super Jamie said:

Honestly I don't know how anyone plays the hard levels well without WASD + mouse.

E4M2 on XBLA took me forever because I couldn't do a quick 180 after hitting the first switch.

PSX Doom, by far. Aside from having the best music and sound effects any of the classic Doom games had, plus colored lighting, it also had a shitload of content. All of the maps from Ultimate Doom and almost all the maps from Doom II, plus a good deal of brand new maps. On top of that, the control scheme was fully customizable and otherwise easy to use. It may not have had saving or a practical means of multiplayer (get two TVs and two Playstations and two copies of the game lol), but it was the closest thing to perfection any port of Doom ever got, IMO.

I've got both the GBA ports as well, and I liked them well enough when I first got them, but in retrospect they're quite disappointing. That's understandable given the limitations of the system that they already pushed to the edge, though.

I've played a few in the past, and so far, I like Doom 64 the most. It takes the original game, and makes a new one with it (Even with all of that technology within it, the doom engine still exists in it). I haven't tried PSXDOOM yet (I'm probably going to be hunting down a copy soon once I have some extra money), but it looks nice, even if the colored lighting seems to be overused a bit.

And I listened to a good amount of the PSX music and in the end I perfer the Doom 64 stuff more (even if it is the same style)

My favorite console Doom ports are Xbox 360 Doom (best traditional console port of the original PC game), PSX Doom (lots of maps and great atmospheric music), and Doom 64 (new maps, innovative re-imagining of the old classic).
Recommended reading for those interested in the commercial console/handheld ports:
DoomComp
DoomCut

I haven't played that many console ports but I do quite like PSX Doom.

xbla doom is good but i like playing the doom and doom 2 that came with xbox doom 3 the graphics are the same, everything is the same except the controls i like those versions and i've played psx doom when i was 7 still dont like it that much

Just to be different, I'll toss in Doom for the PSP. It's rather like Vanilla Doom - it keeps the original game mechanics and rendering. It allows patch wads (as long as they are DOOM compatible) and deh files. You can set nearly every option, and has three methods of doing the cheats.

It also have support for WiFi networking with up to four players. Networking is compatible with older Doom source ports, like ADoom/ADoomPPC/SDL Doom 1.10. It's faster than the GP2X, and supports TV out on the Slim PSP.

PSX Doom. The exclusive levels, the Doom II monsters in Ultimate Doom, and the improvements some of the levels got sets it apart from the rest.

Chilly Willy said:

Just to be different, I'll toss in Doom for the PSP...

You often mention your own fan port when the console Doom's come up, even when the subject is offical console ports ;)

That said, I would probably go for the PSX or XBLA myself, simply because the former is the only mid 90's port that adds something for all the stuff taken away, while XBLA is literally almost a perfect replica of the PC version.

Though I think any modern console port of Doom would probably be an almost perfect replica, simply because Doom is no longer be too much for the hardware.

Interestingly, I just got an Android phone and there are a couple of Doom apps in the store. Performance is pretty chuggy and playing with a touchscreen is awful. Makes me kinda question the relevance of iDoom.

Vermil said:

You often mention your own fan port when the console Doom's come up, even when the subject is offical console ports ;)

That said, I would probably go for the PSX or XBLA myself, simply because the former is the only mid 90's port that adds something for all the stuff taken away, while XBLA is literally almost a perfect replica of the PC version.

Though I think any modern console port of Doom would probably be an almost perfect replica, simply because Doom is no longer be too much for the hardware.

:D

Well, the original post was

What do you think is the best Doom console port?

I didn't see "official" in there. ;)

If we are talking official, I'd have to go with the PSX version or XBLA just like you did. The PSX version has an edge in that it can be played on any Playstation, including an unhacked PSP.

XBLA Doom and PSX Doom are part of my favorite. But i must say, despite its problem, i like the SNES port too. Mostly because thats how i started Doom. :x

Ralphis said:

32x doom

not even joking. It has the scariest music of all dooms

Heh, yes. The music sounds somewhat raw and brutal. I liked it too, to play this without music, there was some kind of white noise in the beackground which is scary aswell.

I think my personal favourite is for the Jaguar, i've played it pretty much, even with the pad which is a pain in the ass, but it is the only port, where you can easy access to every single weapon.

The PSX Doom is somewhat neat, but mostly too dark for my taste. And for the 3DO Doom ... forget about that. The only thing worth to mention is the music, which sounds great. That applies for the SNES port too, plus, the music sounds like shit.

Super Jamie said:

Does the 3DO CD format include the music as audio tracks? I could crack the plastic on my copy and rip them if so.

No it hasn't. It is a kind of special AIFF Format used for the 3DO. In fact a 3DO cd isn't even readable on a pc without some special drivers.
I've ripped the music some years ago, you can find it, if you head over to the doom depot.

First doom I played was on PC. Then a little on the SNES (Vomit inducing, by the way.)

I tinkered around with Doom64 on a 64 emulator along with Kaiser's Absolution TC and his more recent Doom64 project. Played PSX doom maybe... twice?

I guess what I'm trying to say here is that I never played Doom on the consoles to the point where I could have an opinion. Though I absolutely love the music in PSX an Doom64.

As i said, i have done that years ago.

However, these tracks are grabbed from the sound output of the 3DO. I get managed to extract the tracks from the cd too, but all i have ever found, able to play these, is an very old version of Goldwave. But even this can't handle them correctly. The sound plays with the wrong speed and distorted.

I am wondering how the multiplayer in some of these console ports.
I recently got the Jaguar port and noticed the multiplayer options.
Does anyone have any videos or personal experiences with the console ports?
I believe even the SNES port had multiplayer options.

soulsweat said:

Multiplayer in console ports

Check Youtube for multiplayer vids. I've seen multiplayer videos for the two you mentioned and for the PSX port as well.

As for the original topic, It's a really hard choice for me. Not that I've played all of them yet (I want to though) I'd say it would be a tie between PSX Doom and Doom 64. Both still have the spirit that the original did, but they add different moods and change it just enough to make it feel like an almost new game. All of the console port are good in their own way for me though