Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Tael_

Any editor for Mac OS X ?

Hello,
I'm totally new to Doom (I just downloaded Freedoom and PrBoom recently) and I found it to be a wonderful game.
So I would like to try to create some custom WADs.
But is there any WAD editor for Mac OS X (or at least Unix) ? Didn't find any on Google.
I tried WAD Builder but I don't how to edit the lumps.

No, there aren't any that are compatible with modern Mac hardware/software.

If you install X11.app you can probably get Yadex running.

Either that or install DOSBox and use a DOS editor.

Unless you can get Demon and Hellmaker running, more power to you...do note those two editors are no longer supported by their respective authors, I believe.

And also be aware that those two are very, very buggy and not particularly user-friendly. As a former user of primarily Hellmaker in particular, I can tell you, it ain't pretty. It's a shame, really.

Sl4's suggestion might be the best alternative, though I'm no expert in that area. DoomBuilder is easily one of the most intuitive map editors you'll find.

This kinda sucks, because I have a MAC OSX laptop too, and my mapping would gain tremendously if there were an editor.

I'm not savvy enough of Mac's interface (and not very great at Windows's API) to even state that Doombuilder can be ported to Mac. Anyone in the community with skill willing to do so? :)

I'm not fond of VMs and emulation, especially when it comes to Microsoft OSs. But if you knowa good editor for Linux/Unix, I could try to port it to Mac OS (Yadex is only for mapping, right ?).

For lump "editing", there is a tool called Deutex which will probably compile for MacOS X. Quotes because it actually unpacks everything into folders, and can pack everything up again, and it is a command-line tool (not very user friendly).

Slumped might compile on mac, it uses wxWidget which as far as I know is a cross-platform library.

SLADE should technically work on a mac, though I haven't actually had anyone to test that since the old 1.x versions. 2.0 beta had all the same mac compatibility stuff though.

I've been mapping with the slade 2 alpha that Neil ported for probably about 2 years now. It has some fairly annoying bugs but it does get the job done. I have no idea how well it'd work on an intel mac though.

Thanks for your help.
I've managed to compile yadex and deutex. I'll try some other tools too.

Zerthex said:

theres the eureka doom editor and it is a good map maker

That didn't exist 2009 when the question was asked. You just necro'd a a 7 year old thread.

There's also wadc!

Zerthex said:

theres the eureka doom editor and it is a good map maker

Just several hours ago you said:

Zerthex said:

I try to make my wads good but noooo! You just think I'm a filthy troll. But I'm not! I just try to make my wads good! But they look like shit because the map creator that is use is fucking crap and it's the only that doesn't fucking crash on my fucking piece of shit computer! You have to realise that I am still new to this community and doom map making in genral.

Zerthex said:

anyway i would like to se you do better with what i use http://eureka-editor.sourceforge.net/

Never try Eureka. I once did... I couldn't get rid of nightmares for 3 weeks.
And about Macs, go get yourself a computer folks. :] (actually, isn't there SLADE for Macs?)

Zerthex can't as he is "fucking poor at the moment".

And he does use an experimental build of Slade3.
What happened to guy working on the OSX builds anyway?