Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Shanoa

Second map in progress

Quite good for your first ever level. With a little work and additions of detail it would be a nice first or second map in a megawad. I didn't spot any glaring errors but I think that the shotgun guys hiding just around the corner behind doors were pretty cheap and annoying and also when the door is opened to the outside area the monsters are blocked from entering the building, making the demons practically useless as you can just sit there picking off their health without them being able to get to you.

I did like the main hub room at the begining, although I wasn't a fan of the pillar things in there as they made it awkward to see and shoot monsters who could shoot through them at you. And the secret under the UAC sign was pretty good.

To improve your outside area you could try changing the flat underneath the trees to a more earth like texture so it doesn't look like they are growing from techbase tiles.

PhilibusMo said:

Quite good for your first ever level. With a little work and additions of detail it would be a nice first or second map in a megawad. I didn't spot any glaring errors but I think that the shotgun guys hiding just around the corner behind doors were pretty cheap and annoying and also when the door is opened to the outside area the monsters are blocked from entering the building, making the demons practically useless as you can just sit there picking off their health without them being able to get to you.

I did like the main hub room at the begining, although I wasn't a fan of the pillar things in there as they made it awkward to see and shoot monsters who could shoot through them at you. And the secret under the UAC sign was pretty good.

To improve your outside area you could try changing the flat underneath the trees to a more earth like texture so it doesn't look like they are growing from techbase tiles.

Thanks for the feedback, the enemies placement indeed deserve an improvement. (i.e. the shotgun guys behind door as pointed) i haven't totally mastered every linedef actions and the reason why a line blocked monsters is because that linedef was triggering some lift who would lower to reach a berserk pack. Monsters were triggering it too. <_< i'll have to toy around some more. :P

With all your demos of other peoples maps on youtube there is no doubt that your maps are going to have very good gameplay and thats what I expected. This was a fun little map to play and had some excellent gameplay and clever secrets. I easily beat it with 100% 100% 100% first go. Architecturally there is room for improvement but that was your first map. Overall a fun little map to play.

The map is OK! The difficulty is suitable map1 or e1m1. I thought that "shotgun shells is lacking, and it is boring to kill some demons with pistol". However, I found a berserk after 1st finish, so the weapons blance is good. About texture, I can't mention it because I don't have such knowledge. The green armor's secret can't be got on vanilla Doom. (I checked it on prboom-plus with complevel 3) On ZDoom and Boom, it works correctly.

Btw, shall I make the video?

Archvile78 said:

Also its Vanilla Doom compatible.

Not quite, there are a few issues - the Green armour secret's ceiling is below it's floor and won't lower unless you're playing in -nomonsters mode, there's a sky HOM behind the Berserk pack, tutti frutti in a few places where the engine's had to tile small step textures and one of the pinky demon's bounding boxes overlaps the door in front of it, allowing it to "see" me in the next room.

Texture alignments pretty good, I noticed just one spot - behind the player start - that needs attention. I agree with PhilbusMo about the monster-blocking line, it turns the Blue doorway into a shooting gallery. Overall it's a nice little map that just needs some fine-tuning.

The level was quite okay. I think you should change height a bit more, at least from room to room as I thought the outside area could need a better transition from inside to outside. I also think you should have used another texture for the outside areas floor. Hom at the blue key platform, there is some missing lower textures.

GreyGhost said:

the Green armour secret's ceiling is below it's floor and won't lower unless you're playing in -nomonsters mode

The cause is that monsters in the secret are stuck on the ceiling, so the floor won't lower. Archvile78, you have to make the peace above their height.
The floor is higher than the ceiling. Of course, it isn't good mapping.

Torn said:

The level was quite okay. I think you should change height a bit more, at least from room to room as I thought the outside area could need a better transition from inside to outside. I also think you should have used another texture for the outside areas floor. Hom at the blue key platform, there is some missing lower textures.

Yeah i've noticed that HOM the day after i posted the map on here. I'll play with height too in my next map. :x

Tatsurd: A video of it won't really be needed, i will when i make a better map but thanks anyway. :p

GreyGhost: >_< yeah thanks for pointing that texture misalignment fixed the ceiling of that secret area just so its above the monsters head. Also removed the blocking linedef in the blue door area. I suppose i'll place the linedef who trigger the lift somewhere else, where monster won't be able to trigger it.(in future map that is o.o) i haven't seen that HoM where the berserk pack was tho.

Thanks to people for their feedback. ;D i guess i could upload it to the archive. <_>

As far as you make maps with vanilla Doom compatibility, you should do test plays on vanilla Doom or vanilla Doom compatible ports with vanilla Doom. I recommend PrBoom-plus. You have to add "-complevel" parameter If you use it. (complevel 2 is vanilla Doom2.exe, complevel 3 is vanilla Doom1.exe) Other ways are chocolate Doom, Doom.exe with dosbox, and so on.

Anyway, making wads, keep it up!

tatsurd-cacocaco said:
I recommend PrBoom-plus. You have to add "-complevel" parameter If you use it. (complevel 2 is vanilla Doom2.exe, complevel 3 is vanilla Doom1.exe)

PrBoom and PrBoom-plus with the Doom compatibility settings are good for playing vanilla levels, but not so much for testing them (unless they are "limit removing levels" that are otherwise "vanilla") because one won't see if any static limits have been exceeded or if visual glitches will show up in plain Doom.

Other ways are chocolate Doom, Doom.exe with dosbox, and so on.

These, on the other hand, do pretty much ensure vanilla compatibility.

udderdude said:

Nice job.

This is good to hear. I thought my first map was pretty good until udderdude shat all over it with his /newstuff review :(

Rather than making a new topic i'm bumping the thread, changed first post with small detail on my 2nd maps currently in progress.