• More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Guest DILDOMASTER666

The Milhouse Chronicles Part I: Retarded Rhapsody

Guest DILDOMASTER666

[WIP page goes here when it's approved]

The WIP Page for this WAD says:
Part I in a 3-part jokewad series. This map attempts to poke fun in a different light with not necessarily purposefully-fallacious object placement and overall poor design, but instead with visually pleasing architecture taken hand-in-hand with MEGA cheap resource and enemy placement, among other things (blue key behind blue door, anyone?).

Intended port(s): Boom-compatible (DSDoom, ipodDoom, etc. taken into consideration)
Other resources used: Nick Baker's "Episode 5" texture WAD (Doom 2 version), MIDI version of Dream Theater - These Walls (Octavarium, 2007)

So uh. Yeah. Expect ridiculously difficult traps, unavoidable cheap enemy placement, and of course, redundancy! No map is complete without 7 blue keycards and 12 megaspheres.

DOWNLOADS:
f-tmcrr.wad (texture WAD included in zip)
f-tmcrr.wad (no texture WAD included; nb5texd2.wad required)

Tested with DSDoom 1.1.2 and ZDoom 2.3.1.

Guest DILDOMASTER666

So this really isn't a worthwhile endeavor then? Damn. I thought I was being at least somewhat original with the concept :/

That is to say I don't really know of any maps at all that take the tongue-in-cheek approach quite like this. Have any been released before that would make this utterly unoriginal?

I'm sure someone has made a map like this before, good luck finding it in the archives though.

Don't forget to add at least one trap where the player is suddenly flanked on all sides by chaingunners! :p

Guest DILDOMASTER666
Mothmonsterman said:

Isn't Mock 2 pretty much this? Someone should make a jokewad based on badly done, over-detailed zdoom maps now theres an idea

Please reread my original post.

In simpler wording: This map attempts to make fun at maps that are designed to be visually pleasing, but offer poor gameplay.

kristus said:

Can't you just make a pretty map that has good game play instead?

I second this notion.

Guest DILDOMASTER666

That's what the finale - Niggardly Wars - is reserved for. The second one, inbetween this one and that finale, would be an underdetailed map with good gameplay.

I can't do the third one in any other order on the list because it will be intended to, in effect, mock myself as a jokewad author and I can't exactly mock myself on DABBLE. Need some actual prior material that's relevant to satire.

Fisk said:

That's what the finale - Niggardly Wars - is reserved for. The second one, inbetween this one and that finale, would be an underdetailed map with good gameplay.

I can't do the third one in any other order on the list because it will be intended to, in effect, mock myself as a jokewad author and I can't exactly mock myself on DABBLE. Need some actual prior material that's relevant to satire.

Try to make a jokewad about bad jokewads, that would be more interesting.

Guest DILDOMASTER666
lareman said:

Try to make a jokewad about bad jokewads, that would be more interesting.

I said:

it will be intended to, in effect, mock myself as a jokewad author

Uhh... I don't know how much more clearly I can phrase that.

I think this is a good idea. I've thought that I'm the only one thinking that most modern maps are just incredibly detailed and full of "UH OH! fifteen revenants/barons/pain elementals/arch viles/cyberdemons just teleported in all around you in this tiny room, hoho!" scenes and aren't really fun to play at all. Maybe it's just me being bad, but I can't see the point. Even most '94 wads give a better Doom experience than that.

So yeah, I will certainly be IDDQDing through this mappack once you get stuff done, Fisk!

I've always just assumed there was enough high-level player demand for the class of superhuman "ultra-hard" map that Fatal describes. There's a YouTube video somewhere featuring one of the Casali brothers demos of Punishr (or some other thousand-monster MAP01 edit) which just leaves me awestruck.

Such maps I don't really find fun either, when you're forced to godmode a map just to survive, you lose all the effect of gameplay design (the health placement, the traps, the ammo struggles) and who's going to put up with all that just to look at some good architecture?

Making an intentionally low-detail map with great gameplay isn't a joke, it's talent! (case in point: Ultimate NMD)

I have an idea: make your jokewad concept on difficulty 4 (or hell, on difficulty 2, it is a joke) and make something realistically playable on difficulty 3. That way you'll make everyone happy :)

Guest DILDOMASTER666

Alright, a little reworking was done in the series. It's just gonna be a two-parter, and the current one showcased in this thread will - instead of being purely a stab at certain mappers (Tormentor I'm looking at you), Skills 1-3 (hereby referred to as Vagina Mode, Entertaining, and Realistic Challenge) will be playable as a normal map would be and I'll do my best to actually make those skill levels entertaining. Meanwhile, Skills 4 and 5 (hereby referred to as Deus Vult 3 and Belial Mode) will be used purely with my original concept in mind (eg. ridiculous chaingunner boobytraps and revenant spam).

Also, Retarded Rhapsody is nearing completion. I'll be posting the map in a couple of different packagings probably later today.

Guest DILDOMASTER666

f-tmcrr.wad (texture WAD included in zip)
f-tmcrr.wad (no texture WAD included; nb5texd2.wad required)

Well, there it is. Hope you enjoy, I guess.

I'd also like to upload this to /idgames, and I remember reading a tutorial on how to do this somewhere... Does anyone happen to know where said tutorial is, or would anyone mind uploading this for me?

P.S.: tested in DSDoom 1.1.2 and ZDoom 2.3.1.

Deus Vult 3 raped me instantly. So annoyingly, I had to tone it down to Realistic Challenge. Overall, I liked it, and thought it was pretty good. I went through the whole thing waiting for something really horrible design wise that just didn't happen though.

Yeah I guess the humor was in the Deus Vult 3 mode? I played through it on realistic challenge and the only thing that seemed like a joke was the second red key. Otherwise, I feel I properly enjoyed this map rather than laughed at it.

EDIT:

Fisk said:

Alright, a little reworking was done in the series. It's just gonna be a two-parter, and the current one showcased in this thread will - instead of being purely a stab at certain mappers (Tormentor I'm looking at you), Skills 1-3 (hereby referred to as Vagina Mode, Entertaining, and Realistic Challenge) will be playable as a normal map would be and I'll do my best to actually make those skill levels entertaining. Meanwhile, Skills 4 and 5 (hereby referred to as Deus Vult 3 and Belial Mode) will be used purely with my original concept in mind (eg. ridiculous chaingunner boobytraps and revenant spam).

Also, Retarded Rhapsody is nearing completion. I'll be posting the map in a couple of different packagings probably later today.

Ohh.. didn't read that before I posted.

Guest DILDOMASTER666
Krispavera said:

I played through it on realistic challenge and the only thing that seemed like a joke was the second red key.

The red skull key is in place as a failsafe. If you notice, it would easily be possible to get stuck in the reservoir area after the lift that leads to the red door. I made it that way, taking the view the player has of the red skull key in the courtyard, so that you could choose the route that looked easiest.

I'm happy to hear a few people enjoyed this map though. All the more incentive to make more serious maps. :)

Great map! I tried on Deus Vult 3 and gave up the instant the archviles appeared... Geuss that was the point of the map though. Great fun on Realistic Challenge, though.
edit: Just IDDQDd through Deus Vult 3, reminded me of nuts.wad with more detail.

Guest DILDOMASTER666

I tried out your modified version of the map, TimeofDeath; I actually enjoyed playing through it on DV3. Excellent job. :)

Yo, I fired this baby straight up oldskool IDDQD style. All I have to say is that I swear some real wads aren't really that much easier than this.