Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Nomad

CONTEST: Make a crappy but completable map!

This is cross posted from The Abyss where we are holding this contest. However, you are not required to register to participate! All submissions should be sent to the email address listed below (so keep in mind any maps that are not sent there will not be considered!)

Hope to see some of you guys's maps in the mix! :)

Woohoo, it's contest time again!

As the thread title suggests, this time you must make a map that is so bad that it becomes laughable. Something that numerous wads from the golden year of 1994 accomplish. You have completely free hands so you can accomplish the crappiness goal by whatever means possible, with the exception that the map has to be completable. That is, it must have a real exit of one sort or another (not that there are very many different exit linedefs). Again, my advice is to refer to the numerous wads made in 1994 for inspiration (found here). God forbid if you send an actually good map, though, because then I'll tell you that all you've done is waste effort.

Specifics:

- One map per author
- The map must run on Doom2, map01.
- You are only allowed to use regular Doom2 editing features. That means no boom or such things.
- Singleplayer
- All kind of custom content is allowed, inlcuding textures, music, sounds, sprites, monsters, weapons and some things I forgot to mention. You can use pre-existing resources.
- No difficulty levels. Wasn't there some talk about crappiness before?

ALL MAPS MUST BE SENT IN BEFORE THE END OF JULY 31ST 2009 GMT
If you send a map and notice that it has a bug or something you can resend your map as long as it's before the deadline. You'll have to include a proper text file with your map. If you use the id games archive template you'll enter all the data you need to, but you can make your own text file too if you wish to. The main things it should have are the following:

-Name of the map
-Name of the author
-Some short description about the map would be nice, so know what you were aiming for.
-Information whether the map supports deathmatch or coop.
-A good joke (possibly optional)

Send maps to: team AT internetlantic DOT com

As for judging, Ace for one has said that he'd like to take the job. I won't be able to do it, as I'll be in the army at the time this goes live. There may be other judges as well (mainly I'm thinking Rusty), but Ace shall be the one you should asslick the most in this contest. Here's what he has to say:

[31.05.2009 - 22:35:04] ase: I'd definitely say aesthetics, fun factor and possibly even playability would be good points for judgement
[31.05.2009 - 22:35:40] Fatal: in a completely sarcastic way, you mean?
[31.05.2009 - 22:35:54] ase: Well if we're judging this based on crapness
[31.05.2009 - 22:36:03] ase: Then less of those things = more points
[31.05.2009 - 22:36:48] ase: Variety is gud too
[31.05.2009 - 22:36:57] ase: Like the more ways it's crappy the better

--------------------------------------------------------------------
Here is the list of submissions so far. I'll try to use screen names when possible, but not everyone provided them. Sorry!

CONFIRMED SUBMISSIONS!:
Travers Dunne - 1994!
Giftmacher - SUCKMAP
InsanityBringer - HELCANYN
Jickle - Calooby
Pavera - doomlab
Mr. Freeze - 666 DEMONS
Ill/Potnop - illJoke
LogicDeluxe - crapldl
Nixot - Hellgate
DarkRedd - oops
Deathdealer - stupidwad
Nomad - shitty
arrrgh - Room of Doom
Paul Corfiatis - paulcrap
Aaronjw - something
Fatal - Down's
JustSomeMusicGuy - tbcp
leilei - statdark
Reaper978 - schafted
Eponasoft - dave01

Can I screw up all of my line's sector references resulting in mad HOM's everywhere? Or is that not what we are going for here? :P

Is this going to be a Mock 2, but for vanilla Doom this time?

Are crashing the Doom engine allowed (as long as you could avoid them by not visiting the spots in the map causing them, ie. the map would be still completable).
Anyway, by completable, do you mean 100% of all, or just being able to exit the map?

LogicDeLuxe said:

Anyway, by completable, do you mean 100% of all, or just being able to exit the map?

I hope it means you only need to finish the level. I'd have to redo my entire entry's (which I just finished including a mock textfile suggesting it was made by some stupid or emotinally disturbed kid or something) gameplay if it was 100% of everything... :P

InsanityBringer said:

Can I screw up all of my line's sector references resulting in mad HOM's everywhere? Or is that not what we are going for here? :P

Almost a requirement! Although wouldn't that crash the node builder anyway?

GreyGhost said:

I'll give it a shot - are dehacked patches allowed?

I don't think so. I will have to ask Fatal what he thinks, since he was the mastermind.

LogicDeLuxe said:

Is this going to be a Mock 2, but for vanilla Doom this time?

Are crashing the Doom engine allowed (as long as you could avoid them by not visiting the spots in the map causing them, ie. the map would be still completable).

I think that would be ok. As long as the map is still completable. I'll have to ask Fatal, but I think he means being able to get from the start to the finish. Not necessarily 100% everything.

In addition, I think it was also decided that it was OK if the player could get stuck in a manner that would require save load or noclip, if that helps.

Mr. Freeze said:

This is gonna be fun.

Is there a limit on filesize?

In theory, no. But keep it reasonable. Don't crash the entire internet trying to email it!

Do your maps actually need any gameplay? I kind of have the worst gameplay you could find in any doom mod :P (Think cyberdemon abuse)

Gameplay? Just close your eyes, choose a random thing and paste 300 of them about the map. Then repeat with another thing type.

Great to see such interest!

Now, to address some of the questions:

-No 100% needed.

-I think that crashing the game should be avoided but if you absolutely feel that it fits in the map, I guess it would be okay.

-No custom deh files, please.

-If you think that E1M1 filled with cyberdemons can't be called gameplay, you have no room in this contest.

In the end, I'm not the one who will decide on things. Ace (aka. Newt here, I think) and Rustyslacker will be the ones doing the judging. In fact, I will join this contest myself.

I have no ideas atm for joke maps, but I made this a long time ago...

Note: besides the seemom.wad I made many years ago. Heh, but it is just lame.

Second note: ah well, I guess I will cook something up for this. :P

Can we put MP3 music in the wads? It's not a vanilla-compatible feature but it would allow competitors to add a whole new dimension of shittiness to their wads.
edit: The first post says we must have an exit. Must it be reachable?

arrrgh said:

Can we put MP3 music in the wads? It's not a vanilla-compatible feature but it would allow competitors to add a whole new dimension of shittiness to their wads.
edit: The first post says we must have an exit. Must it be reachable?

No mp3 music. The experience should be the same on all ports. Of course, some ports do certain things differently, so I figure that some software rendering glitches should be ok. Still, try to make it so that the map is the same, regardless of the port used.

And yeah, I think it's for the best if the player can actually finish the map.

Keep in mind you all still have a month and a half or so to complete them, so take your time. :)

Be sure to email it to the address or it won't be considered for the contest!

Why not just ask darkdave1985 to use one of his 'elite' maps as shown on /TNS #345?

Nomad said:

All submissions should be sent to the email address listed below (so keep in mind any maps that are not sent there will not be considered!)[/B]

Send maps to: team AT internetlantic DOT com

Krhm...

Carry on then!

Nomad said:

Be sure to email it to the address or it won't be considered for the contest!

Yeah. I'm not gonna do that.

dutch devil said:

Does it really matter where it comes from?

Considering that we've got this posted at three different places, it makes it easier for the judges to know what they need to play, so we don't have to scour through a dozen pages in three threads to find them.

I'm working on Centrum so I can't be sidetracked to make another map at this time.

Got my map done, but I can't send it through Yahoo! Can I upload it to /idgames and point you to the file location?

Mr. Freeze said:

Got my map done, but I can't send it through Yahoo! Can I upload it to /idgames and point you to the file location?

Nomad said:

Considering that we've got this posted at three different places, it makes it easier for the judges to know what they need to play, so we don't have to scour through a dozen pages in three threads to find them.

I suppose, using a filehoster like http://www.rapidspread.com/ and emailing the link will be okay too, then? Just in case, such email providers refuse to send the appendix.