Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Nomad

CONTEST: Make a crappy but completable map!

Oh yeah, file hosts are just fine. Just gotta make sure we get that email so the entry is official! Sorry if it's inconvenient or something. Just like I said will make it easier to organize the submissions this way.

Nomad, did you get my map yet? I sent it two days ago, but haven't got any confirmation.

Yes, looks like it's there! So far we've gotten 8 submissions.

Much better than the last contest we did, though last time we didn't advertise here on Doomworld unfortunately.

Hah, is it a crappy map or a dick map that puts the harder monsters on easier difficulties and easier ones on harder difficulties?

We're not really going to be judging based on difficulty levels. I'd say most crappy maps have everything on every difficulty setting.

rf` said:

Hah, is it a crappy map or a dick map that puts the harder monsters on easier difficulties and easier ones on harder difficulties?

Since the rules state "No difficulty levels.", I don't think that such a map will qualify. I'm not a judge, though.

Sorry for the double post, but I wanted to keep this on the first page! So far we've got 13 submissions, and there's still a month to go! This is going to be a pretty good contest!

Also, I wanted to bring up the idea that we've been tossing around; when all is said and done, we want to release a compilation of all the maps in the contest. Of course this might interfere with any maps that might require pistol starts.

But unless anyone has any objections, we would like to do that!

Sent mine in. This was far too much fun. Did you know that an incredibly long corridor causes the walls to come detached from the ceiling and floor and jump around under a software renderer? Well, now you do.

Nomad said:

Also, I wanted to bring up the idea that we've been tossing around; when all is said and done, we want to release a compilation of all the maps in the contest. Of course this might interfere with any maps that might require pistol starts.

Indeed. This fact should be clearly mentioned in the text file. My map certainly wouldn't be the same without pistol start. Entering my map with certain weapons kinda kills the joke.

But unless anyone has any objections, we would like to do that!

As long as you point out that maps are made with a pistol start in mind, it's fine with me.

I don't care what slot mine's on, it doesn't matter because weapons are sorta redundant on my map.

I've just submitted a map. Whipped it up in a flash.

I might fire up DCK 2.2 but that may be *too good* for this WAD.
Now only if we could call it Versus 1994, and have a 1994 programs only limit and 1994 midis limit...

Maintaining a list of contributions in the opening post might be a good idea, so every participant can easily verify. Most other projects have such a list, too.

I reckon I'll enter. Just finished a map. My experience doesn't go far beyond making sectors, doors, ending points, and things, so it's probably going to be a great crappy map ;)

EDIT-- sent it.

No real updates right now. The deadline is still July 31st, so there won't be much until then. :)

Last I checked, though, there were 13 submissions, and I'm betting there's at least a few more right now. This is doing way better than the 16 sectors competition we had about a year ago which only ended up with about 5 submissions :)

LogicDeLuxe said:

Maintaining a list of contributions in the opening post might be a good idea, so every participant can easily verify. Most other projects have such a list, too.

Hey, good idea. I'll take care of that soon.

[EDIT!]

I put up the list on the first post. Also, Arrgh! there was nothing in your email to download, or no links! Be sure to rectify that soon!

This is probably the most ingenious map I've ever made. Instead of thinking about all the usual things that have been crammed into my head over the years about what it means to make a good map, I'm asked to make a map as bad as possible. When I started to think about what kinds of things I could do, I realized pretty quickly that if I were to take this contest 'seriously' the map would be very boring and lame, if not maybe slightly humorous, so instead, I thought, well, no way I can screw this map up, might as well take full advantage of that fact! If I make a craptacular wad, I win since that's what is being asked of me. If I make a decent map, then I win too, since decent maps are always welcome. So I saw this as an opportunity to try something different at the risk of failing (and thus succeeding), and not having to worry about my texture use, consistent theme, etc. etc. I do want this map to ultimately suck, but I also want to take it as an opportunity to explore new gameplay possibilities and map dynamics. And if it sucks, i don't want it to suck on all the tired cliches that people think of about '94 crappy maps. So, it will suck, but on some clever and innovative grounds it shall fail. So fear not, many of you--dare I say, most of you will think my map stinks. Nevertheless, there is genius in my map for the patient player; sheer genius!. Yes sir! *maniacal chuckle* EDIT: Halls of the Damned's got nothing on this map.

Hellbent said:

So I saw this as an opportunity to try something different at the risk of failing (and thus succeeding), and not having to worry about my texture use, consistent theme, etc. etc.

That's what I do with my proper maps all the time.

So I gave it a shot, and sent you guys a WAD.
I even made a really crappy soundtrack for the map. Hope that contributes to the map's crappiness as well.

It was fun to do for once. I've never made a crappy map (on purpose, that is :D)
I hope you guys enjoy it, or should I hope you detest it? LOL

Thanks guys! Keep 'em coming! Still three weeks till the deadline :)