Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Airman266

zdoom multiplayer

OK multiplayer question. My buddy and I are trying to play coop on zdoom. I read the zdoom how to and it seems pretty simple, i host he puts in join to my ip address and it should find me. It's not a'workin though. Mine says waiting for player to join and his just perpetually says connecting to host. It's really frustrating because it should be ridiculously easy to do this and I can't get it to work. I verified our IPs and I made sure my firewall isn't blocking zdoom. Anybody have any ideas?

You didn't really specify, but I want to make sure: Are you playing multiplayer over the internet, or LAN?

Are you getting your IP address from a web site? That one didn't work for me. Only the one I got from Network and Sharing Center (if you're on Windows) worked.

What OP is wanting to do is exactly what I want, too. Is ZDooM only for local networks? I've tried Skulltag and Odamex to various ends (Skulltag - no 64 bit version yet; Odamex - it can't find doom2.wad). I think OP and me, both want to play over the internet.

If you are playing over the internet, make sure that your router is configured to forward traffic on the correct port to your computer! I believe 10666 is the default port for most Doom engines.

Also, as an anecdote of my own, when I moved to where I am now, I could not figure out for the longest time for why I could not host virtually ANYTHING. I could host things via Hamachi for some reason, but nothing else. Somehow the fact escaped my attention that the modem the DSL company gave us was in fact a wireless router unto itself and had its own firewall. We since have ditched the router we were using and are using the modem directly and I've had no problems forwarding ports to host things.

So make sure you aren't in the same situation. ;)

The most likely reason is that your computer is behind a DSL router that is doing address translation (NAT). You need to set up a port forward on your router to forward the ZDoom UDP port to your desktop machine, and you need to make sure that your friend is trying to connect to the correct IP (your public address, not the private address on your local LAN)

There was a similar discussion recently in this thread.

Thank you all. :) My friend and me completed E1 yesterday on HMP. Awesome stuff.
Thank you, once again.