Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
David_Dweedle

How do you make a Solid window in Vanilla Doom

Like.. one that blocks sound and bullets etc.. I find it extremely difficult to make window areas in my maps without the ability to make them block bullets and sound.. can anyone help?

You can't block bullets, just sound. If you have a window, you need to tag both lines to the room and to the outside with the block sound tag.

Torn said:

You can't block bullets, just sound. If you have a window, you need to tag both lines to the room and to the outside with the block sound tag.

Dang.. really wanted to block bullets lol.. nvm tho :) Block sound will do. cheers

David_Dweedle said:

Dang.. really wanted to block bullets lol.. nvm tho :) Block sound will do. cheers

At least not if you just use vanilla or boom, I guess zdoom have a tag for it? I am not really sure.

Wrong; it can be done in vanilla using a sort of glass sector effect. This is a hack, however, and I cannot tell you how to build one. I can tell you where to look though: Eternal Doom. It uses them.

With some ports you can make a solid line translucent. It'll block everything, including hitscans, but will still be see-through.

The simplest method is to put a sector inside the window and set its floor height just below its ceiling. It will block any projectiles and remain transparent.

There are better methods but they are difficult to explain without examples.

Quasar said:

Wrong; it can be done in vanilla using a sort of glass sector effect. This is a hack, however, and I cannot tell you how to build one. I can tell you where to look though: Eternal Doom. It uses them.

Isn't that simply a self referencing sector?

Szymanski said:

The simplest method is to put a sector inside the window and set its floor height just below its ceiling. It will block any projectiles and remain transparent.

You forgot the important part: keep the lower textures empty, as "-"

Lowering the ceiling can work better in some situations, since when you raise the floor and if the player view can ever higher than the floor, the empty lower will get flat-flooded, which looks bad.

Like Boris said, another way is to put a linedef through the sector, a linedef with the same sector on both sides but different to the window sector. This other sector will have heights that will block hitscans and things.

Szymanski said:

There are better methods but they are difficult to explain without examples.

Oh, I never thought of that one for a window, that is useful.