Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Steeveeo

The Caver

For those of you who haven't read this (fairly old, but I haven't heard of it until recently), this is an excellent story. Best read past midnight with the lights out.

The Caver

Its a little long, but a very intriguing read.

What would be a fairly good, chilling read is enhanced by photos of the expedition, making it an awesome and realistic read.

Fun fact: This was originally written in the 80's without the photos, and had a really crappy ending that was to do with native american burial grounds

Yeah, it was someones really boring unpublished short story, and someone turned it into a web page which is kind of creepy.

I read it thinking that it was real, so I was pretty spooked! After looking around I found that it was an adaptation of a short story by Thomas Lera called "Fear of the Dark". I'll have to read that too.

Vaguely reminded me of that movie The Descent a several years back, though I never actually saw it.

Also reminds me of footage I saw once that was supposedly taken from a camera that was found in the catacombs below Paris, France, that has the unknown cameraman running from something unseen. However this was on the "Scariest Places on Earth" television show on Fox Family many years ago, and they did fabricate many other things on the show, so I'm fairly sure the video was a hoax on their part.

I mean, how was the camera found in the first place?

I'm assuming it stops at page 10?
The link on the last page goes to the same page.

It's been a really interesting story so far. I hope I haven't reached the end. :(

Yeah, I think it's meant to imply that he doesn't come back. ;P

Edit: So it looks like I was a bit late here in finding out the original source of the story. Thanks Nomad. >:(

Here is a link to the original story:
http://web.archive.org/web/20050117173007/www.dougaustin.com/tlcaves/pdf/Thefearofdarkness.pdf

Anyways, I think the version in the OP was a lot more realistic and creepy. After more of the threat was revealed, it just lost it's appeal to me. At least it was a fun several hours and it really kept me on edge up until the ending. Probably the creepiest story I've ever read!

The Lag said:

this was good, but it would be better with no mention of the cave-writing.

Spoiler

Indeed, it would then fit better with the theory that the sounds and other happenings were actually the cavers themselves in the future.

I suppose this is a clever way to get some mileage out of a handful of photos, taken during many hours of tedious work widening a hole, a hole in rock which barred the way between a pair of intrepid spelunkers and an area of unexplored cave which ultimately turned out to be disappointingly mundane.

Has anyone noticed the large amount of details added to the "The Caver" version of the story? It seems to me as if they intentionally added specifics about the dimensions and size of the hole to correspond to the photographs. A large portion of the introduction of that version was in fact missing from the original story.

I would have to go as far as to say the person who modified the original story, is more of a genius than Thomas Lera was, hehe.

The story is fine I guess but the idea of it being journal entries? No one writes like that.

Bank said:

The story is fine I guess but the idea of it being journal entries? No one writes like that.

Some of the best stories that I have read are written in "journal" format.

Csonicgo said:

Some of the best stories that I have read are written in "journal" format.

I mean no one writes a journal like that, he claims each entry was done a couple days after the events occurred but the whole journal reads like it was all written in one sitting.

Bank said:

I mean no one writes a journal like that, he claims each entry was done a couple days after the events occurred but the whole journal reads like it was all written in one sitting.

I agree, i picked up that same vibe too.

I lol'd, Planky.

Lag, it is adapted from the short story "Fear of the Dark" by some Thomas Lera. Lern2Read the rest of the thread.

i did read it, and the caver story.
learn to comprehend what i was doing: which was supplying an even better scary story.
that story is the willows by algernon blackwood.

I read this story about a year ago and loved it, then just so happened upon a small cave with my friends. Eff-ing scary.

Comprehend what? You said specifically: "i didn't check, but this is probably the whole story" and it obviously was not the "whole story" because from what I read it had nothing to do with the story in the original post.

If you were trying to supply a "better scary story" you should have said that.

The Caver was a gripping read, written in a style amateur enough to be believable, but good enough to smack of internet fiction. It'll certainly make me think twice about going into a hole :P

i meant "whole story" as in the whole of the willows.
i brought it up first in response to earthquake.
i don't think it takes too much intellect to understand i was attempting to add to the topic by posting about a story that i think is more worthy.
so, i think that you and planky were just trying to start an argument.
i apologize for my lack of english at 4-something in the morning after working all day.
i'll try not to do that again.
the end.

lol forum drama.

Anyway, this caver story gave me the strongest sense of deja vu I've had in a while. I'd love to be able to put my finger on it, its bugging the crap out of me.

The willow story I might print out and give it a read (trying to do it on a PC just makes me think tl;dr).

the willows is considered one of the greats of all time.
i'm just trying to get more people to read and appreciate it.