Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Lorenzo

I'm the happiest man in the world!

in doomworld/idgames, i selected:

Find up to 25 most Highest Rated WADs with at least 25 votes

and my megawad "The Prometheus Experiment" is in the list!

This makes me the happiest man in the world.

thank you doomworld community!!

Lorenzo

Bloodshedder said:

Sorry, but I had to delete some duplicate votes, so now it's no longer in the top 25.

You ruined a young man's dreams :-(

Bloodshedder said:

Sorry, but I had to delete some duplicate votes, so now it's no longer in the top 25.

Dang that sure is a killjoy. =P

Must have been lots of duplicate votes - it's dropped out of the top 50!
If it's any consolation "Final Heretic Chapter One: The Docks" is in the top 50 maps with 25+ votes.

LOL

Lorenzo tell us the truth: you cheated! :P If so, you are the TRICKIEST man in the world! =P

GreyGhost said:

If it's any consolation "Final Heretic Chapter One: The Docks" is in the top 50 maps with 25+ votes.

Not anymore. 28 duplicates deleted.

Bloodshedder said:

Not anymore. 28 duplicates deleted.

Oh dear - this is looking like a re-run of the Iranian Presidential Election. When do we start rioting in the streets?

Bloodshedder said:

Most people's IP addresses aren't truly static.

And someone actually bothers cross-validating, investigating and matching perhaps very different IPs or at least a range of IPs to a single user? For everything in the database? Impressive.

It looks like a sort of "Big Brother"! :| So... do you know all the IPs I connect with? Do you log them?! Is it LEGAL!?

Ismaele said:

So... do you know all the IPs I connect with? Do you log them?! Is it LEGAL!?

Pretty much every website host out there logs visitor IPs. Many websites have stat tools too which log visitors. A lot of forum softwares also let moderators or admins view users' IPs in a way or an other.

Yeah... I know that, but I didn't think that every IP address you connect with is logged.
I would have never thought that Bloodshedder (or other administrators) could look for the IPs of those reviewing .WADs on the /idgames Archive and delete votes coming from the same user, who tries to change his/her IP, in order to vote several times! So could admins ban all the IPs the same user try to connect with?

Even if it is logged, the question is what criteria does the "investigator" use to decide whether two different IPs (even if from the same range) are actually the same person spamvoting.

I can think of using the last octet of an IP or considering votes arriving within a certain lapse of time spam regardless of IP (e.g. within one minute of each other). There could even be known outgoing Tor nodes blacklists, but any method using only the IPs without some end-user/subscriber validation will necessarily yield to some false positives.

E.g. two IPs differing in the last octet and coming from the same country could very well be legitimate votes by two different users, so unless the actual subscribers at the telco company can be told apart, there's no way to be certain.

It still sounds strange that someone would bother going through this procedure manually.

Could have been loads of people at a LAN party all voting on the WAD they just played together, heh.

Ismaele said:

Yeah... I know that, but I didn't think that every IP address you connect with is logged.
I would have never thought that Bloodshedder (or other administrators) could look for the IPs of those reviewing .WADs on the /idgames Archive and delete votes coming from the same user, who tries to change his/her IP, in order to vote several times! So could admins ban all the IPs the same user try to connect with?

Not much happens on the Internet that isn't logged somewhere and you'd be suprised at how much can be logged - another site successfully geolocated me.
A voter who's trying to boost a wad in the database isn't neccessarily going to be net-savvy enough to change their IP address between votes, so Bloodshedder's probably finding blocks of votes from the same address.
OTOH - IP banning becomes impractical when the visitor has a Dynamic IP that changes regularly - in my case it would mean banning two 8k address blocks - or uses an anonymous proxy, since it means casting a wide net to catch a minnow.

GreyGhost said:

A voter who's trying to boost a wad in the database isn't neccessarily going to be net-savvy enough to change their IP address between votes, so Bloodshedder's probably finding blocks of votes from the same address.

I thought one can't vote the same .WAD twice!

GreyGhost said:OTOH - IP banning becomes impractical when the visitor has a Dynamic IP that changes regularly - in my case it would mean banning two 8k address blocks - or uses an anonymous proxy, since it means casting a wide net to catch a minnow. [/B]

Yeah... that would be unfair!

All IP addresses for votes are logged. You can't vote twice from the same IP address. If your IP changes (including if you force a change), you can vote again. Yes, on occasion I look through a WAD's votes searching for duplicates.

Wow, people will do anything to get their WAD up in the top 25..how lame.

Bloodshedder said:

Yes, on occasion I look through a WAD's votes searching for duplicates.

Wow.

Should Lorenzo have a new title because of his votespamming on his own maps?

I second Mr. Chris here. Request that OP gets is own custom title ''votespam is own map to be in the top25'' :)

That's assuming Lorenzo's doing the spamming and not some psychotic cyberstalking fanboy. :-)

I hope that for Lorenzo... but why should that "psychotic cyberstalking fanboy" vote for Lorenzo's maps?!
But actually... why would Lorenzo confess here his happiness, if he voted for his own maps!? That would mean confessing his crime, after all! I don't think Lorenzo is so stupid...! :P So... maybe the idea of the "psychotic cyberstalking fanboy" isn't so bad.