Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Mechadon

Claustrophobia 1024 has been released

Claustrophobia 1024, the inspirational sequel to Congestion 1024, was finally released on June 17th! Who knew it could take over a year to finish up a set of 1024 maps?

If you're not familiar with the 1024 mapping theme, it goes something like this. The playing area of each map can be no larger than a 1024x1024 box. Monsters, items, decoration...anything but the player is allowed outside of this 1024 squared area. One loophole to this rule is that the player is allowed outside of this area as long as he is killed upon crossing the border. The idea behind the 1024 theme is to force the mapper to focus on quick and fun gameplay.

A list of features includes:

• 33 brand-new, Boom compatible 1024 maps from various members of the Doom community
  • Lots of brand new muisc
  • New textures and a horde of new graphics
  • New color palette
You can downgrab your copy of Claustrophobia 1024 here. Also be sure to check out the readme and map screenshots.

Last Post!

IN all seriousness, these are my favorite kind of maps, so I will be having a blast with this!

Mechadon's site said:

[/B]32 is the square root of AWESOME

QFT

Also, downgrabbing. :D

Just got a chance to play some of the levels. Map 7 is pretty intense. :P I think Bitter Sanctuary was pretty well made as well. From what I've played so far, this megawad is pretty awesome.

Just a quick update - there have been fixes made to MAP12 and MAP17. Just download the .zip from the same link for the updated version :D

Map11 gave me such a jump :p

EDIT: Whoever's idea it was to put Space Dye Vest in this WAD, I love you.

The very first map, the entire focus is around "Fuck you" traps involving hitscanners instantly appearing around you to rape you in the ass, or variations on "Hitscanners and you have no cover whatsoever". What the hell? Please don't tell me the entire megawad is like this.

udderdude said:

What the hell? Please don't tell me the entire megawad is like this.

Nope, just that map. :(

udderdude said:

"Fuck you"

I cannot verify this, but I've heard that when you get to the secret maps, You'll see the game give you a middle finger if you die.

TO the guy that thinks sudden behind-the-back chaingunners are the best thing ever, I don't know what map it is, or who you are, but you pull that "league of chaingunner spawntrap" BEHIND MY DAMN BACK AS SOON AS I CLEAR A ROOM shit again in a legit map, I will post an angst-filled rant in my livejournal. That shit's just wrong. I go out of a room to back up from 10000 cacoBALLS, you know?

Good, now lets start on the sequel. I'll be contributing to that as well if it ever gets of the ground. We can just use the resource wad from Claustrophobia, no need to make an new one.

dutch devil said:

Good, now lets start on the sequel. I'll be contributing to that as well if it ever gets of the ground. We can just use the resource wad from Claustrophobia, no need to make an new one.

Are you referring to the overflow project (aka Claustrophobia 2) or something completely new?

Well, I'm upto map10 atm. Some of the maps are interesting. But the gameplay is lacking, cramming a few minutes worth of gameplay into such a small area makes it rather predictable and pretty frustrating (especially in the detail++ maps).

Jodwin said:

Nope, just that map. :(

Lies, map09 is full of such buggery.

dutch devil said:

The sequel is already only two maps short from being ready for testing.

Doom_user said:

Are you referring to the overflow project (aka Claustrophobia 2) or something completely new?

I was thinking of something all new, I somehow forgot there was an overflow project. Nice to see that one nearing completion as well.

Maybe we need an new community project, maybe an vanilla megawad or something :p

I'm up to map24 now, map16 Nocturnal Abyss was the best map I've played so far.

I really liked Nocturnal Abyss and Nil. Some of the maps are quite excellent.

Vanilla megawad? Like AV and PL2? I like that idea, because I've had the most fun playing those kinds of megawads.

dutch devil said:

I was thinking of something all new, I somehow forgot there was an overflow project. Nice to see that one nearing completion as well.

Maybe we need an new community project, maybe an vanilla megawad or something :p

That'd be cool, were you thinking of a set of normal levels (like Community Chest) or a set of levels with a gimmick? (like 10 Sectors, Congestion 1024, and 1 Monster)

I've tried to think of a worthwhile gimmick for a community project, but all I could come up with was stupid things like 2048x512 maps, maps where you couldn't use vertical or horizontal lines, maps where you'd be a given a template wad with a predefined irregular shape and your map would be confined to it's boundaries, etc.

Doom_user said:

I've tried to think of a worthwhile gimmick for a community project, but all I could come up with was stupid things like 2048x512 maps, maps where you couldn't use vertical or horizontal lines, maps where you'd be a given a template wad with a predefined irregular shape and your map would be confined to it's boundaries, etc.

One idea I had was a wad where all sectors had to be made from triangles.

This is a pretty great megawad. I've made it over halfway through, and most of the maps are really great. A few are frustrating because of the limitations 1024 provides, but that's forgiveable.

Okay, here's a mapping challenge idea:

Make a map, mapset or megawad that is both fun to play and aesthetically pleasing, in the style and in the engine of your choice.

It's hard!!

Oh yeah, we're talking about claus1024. I'm about halfway through so far and I like it. I like close-quarters combat, as when I pass a tough fight on the first go I know that I'm awesome.

GTFO. about 3 deadline extensions later it's finally done.

I'm at map21 now and I really like it so far... good job everyone!
For me it's still surprising how much fun can be crammed into an accessible space of 1024*1024 units.
Especially map20 by Dutchdevil is impressive... somehow the map feels so much larger than it really is!

These maps are kicking my ass! But if I'm not yelling at my monitor at some point in the map, I'm not having fun. Good job everyone!

I gave up on MAP09. Playing that was like playing a really long contra level. It's just annoying trap after annoying trap after annoying trap. Aside from that I thoroughly enjoyed all the previous maps (With the exception of map07 which was a BITCH)

It gave me a new love for 1024 maps. I guess all that playtesting was worth it.

Yeah Map07 destroyed me a few times, and I didn't really care for Map09 but I finished it.. Also nice use of Dream Theater in Nocturnal Abyss. :>

JohnnyRancid said:

GTFO. about 3 deadline extensions later it's finally done.

Heh, yea I kinda wish I had more of an idea on how long it would take to playtest all of the maps. I grossly underestimated the time it would take to test everything and then smooth all the maps out afterwards. But I guess a delayed release is better than no release at all :p

Butts said:

Vanilla megawad? Like AV and PL2? I like that idea, because I've had the most fun playing those kinds of megawads.

Yeah I was thinking of that, or maybe do an megawad for Ultimate Doom. like the first episode would be in the same texture style of the original e1 and so on.

Map09 was interesting, I liked the idea of it getting bigger every time you open doors.

dutch devil said:

Map09 was interesting, I liked the idea of it getting bigger every time you open doors.

This is what I had in mind.

Butts said:

Totally.