• More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Mechadon

Claustrophobia 1024 has been released

Really good set of maps here. My favorite by far is probably Map02, or Map07

Just finished the rather arduous task of creating wiki pages for each map. :D

*collapses* X(

Great work here! No real dud maps, but certainly a few very annoying situations.

Particularly impressed by maps like Refinery that honestly made me forget it was a 1024 map :)

A good progression on the original, some great looking maps and clever use of the limited space.

dutch devil said:

Maybe we need an new community project, maybe an vanilla megawad or something :p

How about chain mapping. Ten maps are created over four weeks each by four different people. Maps are worked on during the week, only ten survive to the next week.

Week1 Theme and requirement set, maps submitted at end of week
Week2 Pick from 10 chosen maps, build new area and submit
Week3 see above
Week4 Add end battle

This might make for an interesting mix of styles. If your map didn't make the cut there's always next week. If it did go through you can choose another to edit.

I didn't realize that Padma and Return to the Darkening were so similar in style and color. Anyway, all of these maps are awesome, I can't stop playing. :D

MAP10 has glitches in the exit area if you use GZDoom's OpenGL renderer.

Khorus said:

Lies, map09 is full of such buggery.

The entire map is nothing more than monster closets within monster closets. Very conceptual.

Very annoying, too.

Gez said:

MAP10 has glitches in the exit area if you use GZDoom's OpenGL renderer.

There's actually a few places where this happens in GZDoom, namely really tall, lowering sectors that are above a nearby sky sector. They bleed through as a result. It might be more of a bug with GZDoom than 1024.

Snarboo said:

There's actually a few places where this happens in GZDoom, namely really tall, lowering sectors that are above a nearby sky sector. They bleed through as a result. It might be more of a bug with GZDoom than 1024.

Actually these are bugs in the map. The sectors have their ceiling below the floor which messes up all sanity calculations. This gets especially bad if the neighboring sector has a sky.

Graf Zahl said:

Actually these are bugs in the map. The sectors have their ceiling below the floor which messes up all sanity calculations. This gets especially bad if the neighboring sector has a sky.

Yea, someone on the Skulltag forums pointed these out to me the other day. I thought for sure one of our playtesters would have used GZDoom to test in. Though I guess even if someone did, it wasn't a guarantee that they would have noticed the bugs. I mainly tested in PRBoom and ZDoom (software rendering) so I never noticed them. Thankfully it's a mostly aesthetic bug from what I can tell :P

The maps that I'm aware of that have some sort of visual funkiness in GZDoom are MAP03, MAP10, and MAP28. It's likely there are others as well.

MAP28 is the same: Floor above ceiling. I assume MAP03, too, judging from the screenshot.

Does that neat translucent water effect in map05 work under OpenGL? (Just curious, as I always use software mode.) I tested it in a (not latest) version of Risen3D and it didn't work.

It's kind of silly to say the WAD is "Boom compatible" when practically every level uses the MBF sky transfer effect to define the sky. In such cases, I'd note in the Bugs section of the text file that Boom runs it, but that levels won't look as expected. I think it's better to say it's "PrBoom compatible". After all, if it's going to be more or less pointless to run it in Boom, there's no real need to include a separate copy of the BEX patch in the ZIP.

I already knew about that 'bug'. Actually, making the ceiling go above the floor ended up making it look worse. The only way to fix it would to lower the floor to the ceiling, which would effectively ruin the gameplay so I ended up leaving it like it is. It's nothing to write home about.. or post in a forum in this case. :P

myk said:

Does that neat translucent water effect in map05 work under OpenGL? (Just curious, as I always use software mode).

Nope it doesn't work. Exclusive VIP access for software mode users. :P

Last time I checked, the translucent water effect does not work in OpenGL :(. If your playing in a port with full mouse-look (in software rendering), you'll get a HOM if you look into the "bottom" of the pool. It's just a slight aesthetic bugger though.

I actually used WinMBF as my primary testing port for this as it was sort of the main port compatibility we were aiming for. Although I wouldn't say it would be pointless to run it in Boom. I really have no way of knowing if someone would prefer to run it in regular Boom, so I figured it would be a good idea to include an external BEX patch, just in case. I definitely would have mentioned something about the MBF skies not working in ports that don't support them if I had thought about it. I guess I was just too busy with trying to get all of the credits and other info into the readme to really think about it.

[edit]Joshy beat me :p[/edit]

Heh, while watching some of the recent demos the guys uploaded, I did use Boom, myself, but I ended up also extracting some of the skies to load them separately so the maps would look right. People who would want to play it in Boom are probably savvy or crazy enough to extract the BEX from the WAD, which is simple compared to the above skies business.

All in all, including a separate BEX for Boom is like including DeuSF in a vanilla WAD with sprites, these days. You can always also say, "if you want to use Boom, you'll have to extract the BEX patch and load it separately," in the TXT.

EDIT: Ah, one thing I just remembered. For some reason, the ENDBOOM is borked in Boom. It does work fine in PrBoom+, though.

myk said:

EDIT: Ah, one thing I just remembered. For some reason, the ENDBOOM is borked in Boom. It does work fine in PrBoom+, though.

Ah, that's unfortunate :(. I didn't get a chance to test it; I learned that there was an ENDBOOM lump after I got my chance to test the wad in Boom 2.02 on my Win98 machine. I just made a copy of the regular ENDOOM and renamed it ENDBOOM thinking that would work :/

Jimmy91 said:

Just finished the rather arduous task of creating wiki pages for each map. :D

*collapses* X(

Jimmy! Your efforts are much appreciated, sir. :) Phew, without that page I wouldn't have got the hint for map 15's secret. Even then I still can't find it without noclipping. >.<

I'm on MAP07 now and so far the levels are genius, good gameplay in about all of them. My favorites so far are MAP02 and MAP03.