Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
David_Dweedle

Ugh checkered squares all over my map wtf

For some reason the textures from Doom 1 and Plutonia are all checkered Squares on my Map im making.. but the doom 2 ones arn't.. whats goin on eh?

You're doing it wrong.

Another case of mind reading. Sigh. The checkered squares are used by ZDoom instead of missing textures, so I'm going to assume you use ZDoom. You mention using Ultimate Doom and Final Doom textures, and only the Doom 2 texture shows, so I'm going to assume you're trying to use UD and FD textures in D2 without loading them.

Gez said:

You're doing it wrong.

Another case of mind reading. Sigh. The checkered squares are used by ZDoom instead of missing textures, so I'm going to assume you use ZDoom. You mention using Ultimate Doom and Final Doom textures, and only the Doom 2 texture shows, so I'm going to assume you're trying to use UD and FD textures in D2 without loading them.

erm? to be honest all i want is to use the brown tech wall thingy from doom 1 and plutonias waterfall textures.. if that makes it abit easier to tell wut i mean

And to use them along with Doom2.wad, you need to import them in your map wad. They're simply not in Doom2.wad.

Gez said:

And to use them along with Doom2.wad, you need to import them in your map wad. They're simply not in Doom2.wad.

uh? lol. how do I do this?

Open these iwads with slumped, look at the texture1 and texture2 lumps. Look for each texture you want to use, and note which patches it uses, and what are their offsets. Note all that in a notepad window or something. (You're in luck, the waterfalls have just one patch with offsets 0,0, so they at least will be simple.)

Once you've done that, use slumped to copy all the patches you need for your textures. Just use slumped "new lump" feature in your map wad to create at the end of the file lumps that you call P_START and P_END, and paste the patches between them.

Once you've done that for all needed patches, you need to put in the texture definition. There's two method, the old with PNAMES and editing a copy of TEXTURE1, and for ZDoom the alternative is to create a TEXTURES lump in which you put all the texture definitions I told you to note earlier. It'll look something like that:

Texture BLAHBLAH, X-size, Y-size
{
   Patch BLAH, X-offset, Y-offset {}
}
Save the lump, save the wad, and there you go.

Do you plan to make your map(s) use ZDoom as the main port? Judging by your other thread, yes.

Thus, speaking of textures, in ZDoom you need not worry about patches any more. Just import any graphics in your wad, and place them between TX_START and TX_END. ZDoom and Doom Builder will interpret them as textures. It's simpler than working with patches, patch offsets, PNAMES, TEXTURE1, TEXTURES etc.

But only if you target ZDoom. Please don't make your wad require ZDoom just for a convenient feature, while all the content is mapped for plain Doom.

printz said:

It's simpler than working with patches, patch offsets, PNAMES, TEXTURE1, TEXTURES etc.

It's only simpler for textures that are comprised of only one patch, in which case the TEXTURES way isn't complicated either.

It is a lot more trouble for existing multipatch textures, since then you have to composite them in an image editing software.

Also, if you have a large wall patch that is used on many many different textures with multiple decorative patches, it'll take a lot less space in your wad to keep using patches.

Further, TEXTURES also allows you to make variants by applying translations, blends, rotations, and other stuff, so as a rule for ZDoom TEXTURES is preferable to TX_ markers.