Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
chungy

Git repository entirely rewritten; old clones will not be able to update!

As an unfortunate result of copyright violations, the public repository has been entirely rewritten (as well as removing git-svn-id from old commits... should've done that in the first place, but it was too late when I thought of it before).

Everybody who has cloned the repository will need to do it again, nothing is similar to the old repository and attempting to fetch new changes from old clones will fail. Assuming you have no changes, simply removing your current freedoom directory and re-issuing "git clone git://git.savannah.nongnu.org/freedoom.git" will solve it.

I lost my last reply to the other thread because of a browser bug (blame me for running an alpha browser this morning :)) but I was about to say, I don't think it is necessary to zap the whole repository, there is a low-level git command to remove a particular object and all references to it from other commits. It would mean all refs would be invalid in cloned repos (fixed by a pull, afaik) and it would not force cloned repos to delete the unreferenced blob (but a 'git gc' would clean that up if ran by hand).

However I have moved my clone aside and created a new one so free.doomers.org should be up-to-date.