Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
arrrgh

What's your least/most favourite IWAD level?

Map 09. Feels long and is irritating at most skill levels.
Map 28. Irritating layout and quite hard.

Abyssalstudios1 said:

Ahhh, but MAP28 is easy! With all of those invulnerability spheres, I can beat it in three minutes without trying hard.

I always cringe when I battle through an extremely hard room and then I discover that there's an invulnerability sphere hidden there. Besides, if I got through everything, then why do I need the extra help to begin with?

I'd say the only levels I can think of that I absolutely hate off-hand would be MAP24 and MAP28. The rest of Doom II I mostly just dislike, because a large number of the levels are just gimmicks ("The Pit," "Tricks and Traps," "Barrels 'o' Fun," etc) and/or are ugly/not fun/what have you.

Can't say there's much I hate in the original but the best is all in E1 anyway.

I generally love Doom 2's surreal, kinda abstract look, but if I had to pick a couple maps that I disliked out of it they would easily be: Map21 and Map27. I just hate those maps. Map21 is basically broken, I wonder if Sandy even tried. I just never liked Map27, can't really say why.

Overall I think that Ultimate Doom has better level design than Doom2 because it looks so much better without all the wierd textures being used wrong. Except for Episode 4. I mean, there's wood EVERYWHERE!!

Except I really hate E3M7 because it's sooooo slow.

And map03 because the music sux.

And map15 and 24 because they're so bitty and huge.

Seems i really should memorize the map numbers for doom2... Well, i hate tricks'n'traps and barrels'o'fun. They are stupid gimmicky levels that break the atmosphere, are not fun, and shouldn't be even in a half-serious wad.

the iron hitman said:

MAP30 of TNT:Evilution. I could never figure out how to beat that level until very recently.

I had to use faqs to beat the icon of sin part in that level. It makes no sense that you have to fire rockets below the brain opening.

Doom_user said:

I had to use faqs to beat the icon of sin part in that level. It makes no sense that you have to fire rockets below the brain opening.

Yeah. I had to watch a speed run to see how to do it. Retarded.

E3M1 is so bland and crap, it makes me wonder if they even tried. Its made worse by wasting a secret level on a equally dull rehash of it. No wonder it was replaced by a much better level in the console Dooms.

Speaking of console Dooms, ythe very last secret level of PSX and Saturn Doom, Club Doom, is pathetic and not worth the trouble of getting to it. It takes gimmick level to a new level.

Doom 2's Gotcha and Nirvana levels were a pair of crap levels, which were soon followed by Bloodfalls and the bland dull design of Icon of Sin

I dont hate any Evilution levels, I seem to find that as my favourite IWAD, with many memorable levels. Plutonia, I hate Map 11, as its the map I'm stuck on.

Solarn said:Favourite Doom2 level: a draw between MAP17, Tenements and MAP26, The Abandoned Mines. I just love their architecture for some reason

Maybe because Romero made both of those? :p

Ultimate Doom
--------------

E3M3 having the BFG in an obvious spot sucks
E3M7 was okay but the design is sort of crap
E4M2 wasn't great design but works-- though quite tough
E4M8 was unusual for an ending

Doom II
--------
Map 09 was not great for reasons mentioned previously
Map 20/21 is just shit. It is the worst map I've ever played and I've seen shitty wads have more detail... clearly one of the designer's children made this map
Map 30 was rushed badly. I guess it works though

TNT
----
Map 20 is fucking HUGE but the detail gets shitty.
Map 30 took me forever to figure out how to kill the icon of sin. I needed a guide, and a demo :(

Ragnor said:

Speaking of console Dooms, ythe very last secret level of PSX and Saturn Doom, Club Doom, is pathetic and not worth the trouble of getting to it. It takes gimmick level to a new level.

And it didn't help that the revenants were nerfed in those versions of the game; moving and punching like they're underwater, and their missiles seeking only rarely. Maybe Club Doom would at least be challenging had it been a PC Doom level.

Doom 2 weapon placement is god damned weird, you can get a plasma gun into 1/6 of game while it's nearly 1/3 into the game when you get it on Doom 1. Same for other weapons - BFG appears on level 8 and appears on E3M3 in Doom 1. Super shotgun could also have been pushed up a few levels.

I'm pretty sure the BFG appears earlier than that on Doom 1. Isn't there one on E2M3?

40oz said:

I'm pretty sure the BFG appears earlier than that on Doom 1.

Doom Wiki says:
The BFG first appears in a secret area of E3M3: Pandemonium, and again in secret areas of three of the next four levels.

I thought the same thing too, it always felt like there was a BFG in E2.

Probably because we were all idkfa cheater kids trying to kill the Cyberdemon with keyboard controls only :)

These days with WASD + mouse, I find the plasma to be the easiest way to dispatch a Cyb now, especially in smaller rooms like the end of Neith2. The BFG takes too long to fire, and keeping rocket distance usually means I suffer splash damage from the walls as he shoots at me.

Man what was that map with the huge pillared room and the three cyberdemons? It had about a million revenants after that, and I think the entrance was a floating spaceship. That was an intense Cyber battle.

Super Jamie said:

These days with WASD + mouse, I find the plasma to be the easiest way to dispatch a Cyb now, especially in smaller rooms like the end of Neith2. The BFG takes too long to fire, and keeping rocket distance usually means I suffer splash damage from the walls as he shoots at me

Heh, I remember when I first played Doom, I only used the plasmagun like, twice through the whole episode because I was saving it up for the boss level even though I didn't know what the boss was. Which was a pretty good idea, in retrospect.

Super Jamie said:
Man what was that map with the huge pillared room and the three cyberdemons? It had about a million revenants after that, and I think the entrance was a floating spaceship. That was an intense Cyber battle. [/B]

i think it was cyberden, MAP31 of plutonia?

favorite doom levels: most of E1, E2M8, E3M6

least favorite doom levels: E2M9

favorite doom II levels: MAP07, MAP09, MAP28, MAP29

least favorite doom II levels: MAP02(see it EVERY time you play a single-level pwad), MAP30

Ultimate Doom: I like E2M4 "Deimos Lab" for it's challenge and also some cool suprises. From PSX Ultimate Doom I like the last map, MAP30 "Thresold Of Pain" the most for it's awesomeness.

Hate E2M7 "Spawning Vats" because it's so damn long and boring. The music in this level sucks balls also.

Doom 2: My point goes to "The Pit" (MAP09). It's a cool map with a lot of variety in it. From PSX Doom 2 I like MAP59 "Club Doom" for making me LOL. :D

Hate MAP12 "The Factory" beacuse it's really boring. Every time I get to this map I start feeling drowsy and feel like falling asleep.

I'll only give my opinion about the levels I think they suck.

The Ultimate DOOM:

-E1M6: not bad but I don't find it great at all.
-E2M5: nothing so special.
-E3M5: it sucks, it used to be confusing to me, now it's still boring.
-E3M7: WTF, it's probably the worst level of E3, it's repetitive, uses the same textures all over the map, it's boring (And its design too), and the first time I played DOOM I took like an hour to complete it.

DOOM II:

-Map 10: I never felt I wanted to keep playing it.
-Map 13: confusing for newbies.
-Map 15: it's just a remixed version of Map 13, same results.
-Map 19: where the fuck are the keys?
-Map 24: I like it's idea, but actually the level is not so good.
-Map 28: I never figured out how to get out after getting the skull keys.
-Map 30: it's very irritating to kill Romero with no mouse free look.

I havn't played Doom as much as Doom 2, but I love:
E1M1: Come on?! What's not to love?!
E4M1: Hard in a way, but amazing start to the amazing episode

Hate:
E3M8: Wayyyyyy too easy.

Doom2
Love:
MAP07- Awesome, simply awesome.
MAP09- Epic music, epic map.
MAP16- " " , " "
MAP23- What do you get when you mix explosions with Alice In chains? EPIC!
MAP25- Love the design. Also love ANGRY CHAIR..
MAP31- WOLFENSTEIN!!!!!!
MAP32- WOLFENSTEIN!!!!!!

Hate/dislike/ can tolerate
All of the others.

TNT MAP30

The levels nice and all but if you stay in the Boss room for too long and especially when cooping, you get intercept overflows (where everything goes through everything) and allocation failures.

EDIT: All Bad stuff I'm saying