Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

In 1944, US Spy BJ Blaskowitcz infiltrated Castle Wolfenstein, a stronghold on the outskirts of Nazi Germany. Sabotaging the forbidden experiments within, BJ dealt a decisive blow to the occult-obsessed Germans, destroying their research. Afterwards, the fortress was gutted, the dark corridors permanently sealed, never to be reopened.

The year is now 2099. Despite being abandoned for over 150 years, recent photos have emerged from a spy showing reconstruction in progress ever since 2075, as well as a influx of Neo-Nazi personell. Fearing that the Nazis would use their predecessors’ experiments for evil, you are assigned to infiltrate the facility and wipe them all out.

As your transport drops you off outside the mammoth building, you spot an opened door in the back. Sneaking over and snapping the lone sentry’s neck, you grab your pistol and make your way into the basement. You’ll go in from the ground up.

As the door shuts, you find yourself five feet away from a sentry. His back turned for the moment, you realize that there is no turning back now...

"Wolf 2099" is a map for DooM 2 designed as a futuristic sequel to Wolf 3D. Using Woolie Wool's Mutiny mod for a different DooM experience, players will fight human opponents, guard dogs, robotic sentries, walking tanks, and even domesticated demons.

Pics can be found at:

http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=5880f0637f08bf2f36df4e8dca141969e04e75f6e8ebb871

Sounds like a cool idea, but from those shots I'm not impressed. Actually, they look quite silly. If it plays well I'd give some slack, though. Keep at it and maybe you'll find ways to improve :)

The levels have too much barren open space and ugly cube architecture, and not enough elevation change or other interesting things (although if you want this to be Wolfensteiney that might be what you're going for :P ). Also, a lot of your use of textures is clashy and illogical, and although the textures themselves look pretty cool I think they could be used a lot better. Still, as Nomad says, the concept is cool and hopefully you can get it looking better.

The entire point of the wad was to resemble Wolfenstein in terms of architecture. I do not believe that having 10,000 sectors in one level makes for good gameplay. I know that that statement alone will make many people hate this .wad, so I'm not too bothered :).

What textures in particular do you think clash? Keep in mind, this first level takes place inside a basement, so a barren, concrete/industrial look was desired.

Also, keep in mind that the doors have not yet been built into the map. I'm saving that for DeepSea, along with LUMP arranging. So yeah, the doorways do look a little strange.

Mr. Freeze said:

The entire point of the wad was to resemble Wolfenstein in terms of architecture. I do not believe that having 10,000 sectors in one level makes for good gameplay. I know that that statement alone will make many people hate this .wad, so I'm not too bothered :).

All right, fair enough. I'm personally not a huge fan of Wolfenstein's gameplay style, but there are plenty of people that are so that isn't a problem. :)

I guess "clash" wasn't the right choice of word...I think what I meant is that some of the textures don't transition well. In that garbage disposal shot, for instance, the brown wall looks really weird against the gray corridor texture without anything transitioning them in between. Although since you say you have yet to add doorways that might not be a problem in the final incarnation.

Also, I don't like the way the computer core flat tiles. Nor those round ceiling lights for that matter. Flats like those are best tiled on a limited scale, with the rest of the floor/ceiling being less detailed textures. Although the ceiling lights in the lounge shot look good tiled like that, probably because the lights are smaller and more subtle on those.

Not a bad idea but, from looking at the screenies, the textures are too identifyable as Dark forces ones (so my initial impression is that it looks like a Star Wars TC). Also, even keeping in mind that it is supposed to have a Wolf-like level style, it does look very simplistic.

Have you checked out the various Astrostein mods by Laz Rojas? They have a similar premise.

Enjay said:

Have you checked out the various Astrostein mods by Laz Rojas? They have a similar premise.

Not only that. They also look much better.

Mr. Freeze said:

The entire point of the wad was to resemble Wolfenstein in terms of architecture.

What port are you using? If it's one which allows defining new player classes, like ZDoom, modify the player so his size is double, so that 128 tall rooms finally look proper. Do the same with nazis and weapons, by scaling them and editing them.

Unfortunately, the .wad has mysteriously vanished from my hard drive. Seeing as I don't really have the patience to redo the entire thing, I'm abandoning the idea for a couple months while I start a new .wad. Hopefully, I will be able to finish by the end of the summer.

Cheers!