Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Scuba Steve said:

Am I the only person who hated this map?

I played it recently and couldn't even get past the first 2 rooms. The only thing you can do is open a door or else 15 arch viles appear and kill you.

If this is Doom's idea of "puzzles" it's just frustrating instead of clever.

Don't shoot when there are eyes "watching". Took me a couple tries to figure it out too, but it's not that hard.

I somehow just managed to complete the whole of this map legitimately. Whew. o_O

It's a cool concept, but... just not really my kinda puzzle. I also have to say:

Spoiler

I think there's some areas here and there where you aren't in "eye-shot", as it were, but you can still trigger the archviles to appear. Though they're mainly right in the corners of some rooms.

That was creative/interesting. I was playing around with a similar concept before but didn't finish it (you started in the middle of an impenetrable perimeter of multiple rows of reverents & hell knights boxed around you (all facing the opposite direction) then have to infight your way out without shooting).

I've come around a little bit to this map... but it's still unnecessarily frustrating. There is nothing in the text document to tell you that you need to shoot when the eyes aren't looking.

It's fun to figure something out yourself!

I enjoyed that better than being told, it was a real eye opener of all the puzzles and tricks that are in the map. After the first two times of being roasted by Archviles, I figured out that shooting was not the answer.

This should get a Cacoward.

I had fun with this, I figured most of it out quickly. The spider mastermind took me down a few times..no idea what to do with the BFG...cool map for sure.

Scuba Steve said:

I've come around a little bit to this map... but it's still unnecessarily frustrating. There is nothing in the text document to tell you that you need to shoot when the eyes aren't looking.

Because you need to figure it out for yourself. It's a puzzle map.

But it's not really intuitive "figure it out". The problem I had was trying to avoid the eyes the first time... but the door was open... even though I was out of sight... it was still tripping the viles... so I couldn't figure out the puzzle.

I had to browse the forums to figure it out.

Scuba Steve said:
But it's not really intuitive "figure it out".

For some perhaps, as it doesn't seem set in stone, considering other people seemed to have had an easier time. I personally gave up pretty early when I tried it, but I must admit I'm often not very patient or keen with puzzles.

I thought the map was pretty straight forward, myself. Died once or twice before I figured out what I was supposed to do, but it was probably one of my faviroute maps in the pack.

It certainly stood out for me, at the very least.

I haven't played a map based around this idea before, so I was rather enthralled by its originality. (Assuming no one else has done this before...)