Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Jimmy

Adding more info to the megawad wiki pages

When I've got time to kill, I like to set up the base wiki pages for recently released megaWADs. I created all the pages for the maps in Plutonia 2, which have since been edited and added to by gracious members of the community. :) I also just made every page for the 33 playable maps in Claustrophobia 1024.

Now there are some really block-busting megaWADs like Community Chest 3 and Hell Revealed II which don't have wiki pages for all of their maps. Is there any reason as to why this is? I will gladly create the base pages if needed. :)

But I think I'd like to indicate to everyone who contributed maps to megaWADs with incomplete wiki pages to please add as much stuff as possible to the pages for your maps.

Each wiki page has a number of sections. If you want to finish your wiki page, it's by no means an easy feat, but here are the sections:

Refer to this page if you're unsure what to put.
http://doom.wikia.com/wiki/E1M1:_Hangar_(Doom)

Walkthrough
  • Essentials
    Basic walkthrough of your map, excluding all optional paths and secret areas. If there's a secret level entrance in your map also list it here.
  • Other points of interest
    Any optional areas (not secrets) that the player might benefit from visiting.
  • Secrets
    All the secret areas (sector type 9) listed in numbered order here.
  • Bugs
    Any known problems with your map.
  • Demo files
    Links to any demos of your map. See this page for how to list them.

Areas / screenshots
    A gallery view of the appropriately captioned crucial areas in your map.
  • Slime trails
    Any at all are shown in gallery shots here.

Speedrunning
    A gallery view of the crucial areas in your map.
  • Routes and tricks
    A detailed overview of special tricks and shortcuts speedrunners can take through your map to complete it in.
  • Current records
    A table showing the best times by players on UV speed, NM speed, UV max, NM100S, UV -fast, UV -respawn, UV Tyson, and UV pacifist.
  • Miscellaneous demos
    A table showing the fastest playthroughs on miscellaneous, sometimes tool-assisted speedruns.

Deathmatch
    A brief overview of this map's gameplay in deathmatch. This could probably be left blank for the larger maps that are totally inappropriate to deathmatch.

Statistics
  • Map data
    A table showing the number of Things, Vertexes, Linedefs, Sidedefs and Sectors in your map.
  • Things
    A table showing all the things in your map. Only list the ones present in your map, in this order: monsters, powerups, weapons, ammunition, keys.

Technical information
    Write here about the way the map is built around the Doom engine. Does it exploit any glitches? Any renderer problems?

Inspiration and development
    Map authors, go nuts here. Any problems encountered during development? Any development times? Go and write about them here, but refer to yourself in the third person. :P

Trivia
    Anything other map authors aren't likely to know about your map. Perhaps list easter eggs in your map that aren't map secrets.

See also
    Put links to other pages on the wiki here.

Sources
    Verify your sources from other pages on the web here.

External links
    Any other off-wiki links that are relevant should be put here.
On a side note, who generally creates the wiki pages for prominent members of the Doom community? The people themselves or their friends, or what? If I were to create a wiki page on myself, would I be considered to have a massively inflated ego? :P

Hope this post is useful to at least a few people.

On a side note, who generally creates the wiki pages for prominent members of the Doom community? The people themselves or their friends, or what? If I were to create a wiki page on myself, would I be considered to have a massively inflated ego? :P

If you're not all "Jimmy91 pwns you" and keep it informal, I doubt that would cause any issue. But do you think yourself prominent enough? Is there any page on the wiki linking to your name? If not, I doubt such a page would be really helpful. In any other case, dead links are evil.

Julian Hope said:

If you're not all "Jimmy91 pwns you" and keep it informal, I doubt that would cause any issue. But do you think yourself prominent enough? Is there any page on the wiki linking to your name?

I'm fairly sure I'm linked to on every wiki page for maps I contributed music to, so about 12 pages for Plutonia 2, and four for Claustrophobia 1024. I think I'm also mentioned on the pages for the megaWADs themselves.

Julian Hope said:

In any other case, dead links are evil.

Heh, yeah. Seeing my name in red kinda bugged me, so I was thinking about making one of myself, but thanks for the clarification. :D

The E1M4 article might be a better model, actually, because it has more sections filled in (E1M1 is atypically small and linear).  There's also a blank version here so you can copy-paste from one edit box to another.

Jimmy91 said:

Now there are some really block-busting megaWADs . . . which don't have wiki pages for all of their maps. Is there any reason as to why this is?

Nope, no special reason.  No one's gotten around to it, that's all.   :>

• Demo files
    Links to any demos of your map. See this page for how to list them.

• Note: currently this is only used for demos made specifically for the wiki, to show the route through the level, and uploaded locally.  LMPs hosted on any other sites go in the "external links" section (speedrunning records, if any, can also be linked in the speedrun section).

Inspiration and development
    Map authors, go nuts here. Any problems encountered during development? Any development times? Go and write about them here, but refer to yourself in the third person. :P

Ideally this part should have sources, of course, so it doesn't turn into a flame war.

On a side note, who generally creates the wiki pages for prominent members of the Doom community? The people themselves or their friends, or what? If I were to create a wiki page on myself, would I be considered to have a massively inflated ego?

Yes, but no more than every other gamer does.   :>     Seriously though, you're right, usually the person or their friends are the first to contribute, because they care the most about the topic.  Be prepared for a debate about whether or not you are actually prominent, however.  Even if the article stays, keep in mind that you don't control what is written there; it will (hopefully) end up written in a neutral tone, but will grow to include everything the community considers significant about you, whether pleasant or unpleasant.  (GOOD EXAMPLE, BAD EXAMPLE)