Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Hellbent

Randomness as humor

I just played dparody.wad and while it wasn't all that funny, it inspired in me how funny a joke wad could be. Was wondering if anyone with scripting skillz might want to make a jokewad with me? I'm thinking something along the lines with sound bites from a bunch of celebrities--so kind of a playable doom map with lots of scripting and maybe custom sprites that parodies various movies. Like, for example, parodying Tom Cruise from that parody film Ben Stiller did about Vietnam (can't remember the title). I also think random stuff can be funny, like an imp walks up to you and just says the most random shit ever: "You have been chosen as the only vacuum sucking maggot in the fishbowl that can keep the referigerator in Dr. Jones' basement from overfreezing." Maybe there could be monsters that run away from you crying "I don't wanna die......!" Well, these are pretty weak examples, but read my review of dparody.wad to get a better idea of the flavor of jokewad I have in mind: http://randomrootabega.blogspot.com/2009/06/dparodywad-review.html

"Randomness" might not be the lowest form of humour, but if it isn't, it's certainly close. There's a reason that most people stop being amused by it once they exit toddlerhood, though far too many amateur artists insist on beating that dead horse trope all the way through adolescence. I place "randomness" in quotes because it's never true randomness, of course, but merely a chum of old quips and memes that ooze from the brain's constricted sphincter when it is squeezed. I suppose one could get a little bit of mileage out of an avant-garde parody of "randomness," by using statistical processes to pseudo-randomly sample existing media and reach something closer to true randomness but to appreciate that you'd still have to be in the sort of mood you have to be in to really love a Polluck painting. And stoned.

Sorry Hellbent. Bashing your projects has sort of become my hobby.

Creaphis said:

Sorry Hellbent. Bashing your projects has sort of become my hobby.

Based on your custom title would say it is in your nature... but you make some good observations. Most people don't appreciate true randomness or attempt it. The more random the better.

@fraggle: Joke wads can be funny, but generally aren't. I think with the right resources and concept one could make a very funny joke wad.

Hellbent said:

@fraggle: Joke wads can be funny, but generally aren't. I think with the right resources and concept one could make a very funny joke wad.

See: Massmouth 2 and the One Nerd And His Doom trilogy.