Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
AndrewB

Nicotine doesn't kill; smoke does.

Stupid video, but OK.

Nicotene may not kill you, but it certainly is an addictive substance and will make you crave those cigarettes which of course produces the smoke that will kill you. :P

Also, oddly enough, lettuce does contain psychoactive compounds and could be smoked if you really wanted to.

Probably wouldn't really be that good for you though.

That video is pretty awesome, and I say this knowing full well that it discredits all of my aesthetic appraisals, past, present and future.

I hereby award this thread with the Janitor Seal of Approval. This entitles you to exclusive access to the mop closet, a full set of keys to the premises and a grey/blue cleaning suit.

Everyone who posts in this thread is now an honorary Janitor

Patrick said:

I hereby award this thread with the Janitor Seal of Approval. This entitles you to exclusive access to the mop closet, a full set of keys to the premises and a grey/blue cleaning suit.

SWEET

I've always wanted to be an honorary Janitor! :D

Patrick said:

Fuck yeah, does that mean we can hassle the doctors too?

Yeah, but how many of you have the award for the World's Best Janitor and TV Star?

Nicotine doesn't kill?

Then I guess that's why it's part of certain insecticides. Bzzzt (splat).

Some suicide websites talk about taking purified nicotine (and how to obtain it) as a quick way out. Fags, patches and sprays actually contain miniscule amounts and a single drop of the pure stuff would see you off, apparently.

I think that the essence of the argument is that given the amount of nicotine absorbed into the body even for a heavy smoker, the harm from the nicotine is nothing compared to the harm from the carcinogens. This is why devices such as nicotine inhalers, which I presume dispense levels of nicotine similar to cigarettes, should be promoted as healthy alternatives to smoking.

I would rather see millions of people successfully quit smoking by using nicotine inhalers than see millions of people fail at quitting smoking by using patches and going cold turkey. And because the "oral habit" is often cited as a reason why people struggle with quitting, there's good reason to believe that inhalers have a lot of positive potential.

Prince of Darkness said:

I am detecting very high levels of win in this thread's sector...

Yes, because you are now a Janitor too.

God, I'm going to have that song stuck in my head all night. Catchy.

And even if nicotine wasn't harmful, what's the point of this argument anyway? That the nicotine isn't bad, just everything else? I don't see how that kind of point could help anyone's case.

EDIT:
Proud posting material from a newly ordained Janitor.

newt said:

And even if nicotine wasn't harmful, what's the point of this argument anyway? That the nicotine isn't bad, just everything else? I don't see how that kind of point could help anyone's case.

The main argument is that people shouldn't start smoking lettuce just because it has no nicotine, but apparently people are doing this.