Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
NoWits

What the hell is FLAT14?

FLAT14 looks really good in computer station style maps. But what the hell is it supposed to be? Some kind of carpet? Or is it just a crystally "blue granite" floor or something?

FLAT14:

Ultimate doom used that flat for many computer areas.

Yes, I would agree that it's a carpet. It wouldn't make sense as stone or something, especially considering the areas it's used in. It may be some futuristic sort of plastic, but I doubt it.

Torn said:
Ultimate doom used that flat for many computer areas.

Perhaps it's some sort of futuristic anti-static mat...

Carpet.

The one I wonder about is this:

Doesn't make sense to call it grates, since that smooth gray between each bar can't be mistaken for empty space underneath. Nor does it make much sense for it be an inversely beveled tile thing, which is the only logical thing I can make of it.

Maybe the idea was grates, after all, but you must consider most CRT monitors, especially models from the early '90s, are darker than current LCDs or graphics card enhanced screens.

I think grates is likely especially when you consider the texture "MIDSPACE" added for Doom2 which is clearly (pun not intended) a grate and based on that flat.

Pretty sure they're crude grates. That grey mass is a placeholder for dim light.