Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
dark santaclaus

3dfx or nvidia

i though nvidia was better than 3dfx and more when i heard about geforce3 nad all that new stuff but i got a geforce 2 mx 64 mb and it was dissapointed it was wordt than my voodoo3 3000 16 mb and for example for a lot of games is better to use 3dfx glide like in unreal tournament.
i was reading a review of voodoo5 vs geforce3 and the voodoo5 seems to be better in the graphics and the screenshots... can anybody tell me something about that???

i dont know alot about computers or even what my computer is capeable of. so i dont know about the 3dfx thing. all i can say is taht when i play a game i dont get that 3dfx screen first like i used to with my voodoo3

I should lock this thing for my own good. No 3dfx vs Nvidia thread has EVER worked nice. At all.

The Shack, PlanetCrap, SA, VE, Stomped and Bluesnews already give it a chance. Ugh bad idea.

I'll leave it though, at least for a while. Until the trolls show up.

Geforce3 vs. Voodoo5? HA. HA. HA.

No comparison. A Geforce2 easily can whip a Voodoo5. A Geforce3 would nuke it.

CooLWoLF

While I usually never comment in such posts, I'll comment anyway.

The short answer:

3DFX was a very good company and had created great products while they were still alive.

The only reason they died was because of the stupid managers who runned the company.

Last I heard, RAMPAGE (the latest chip that was supposed to come out), had some revolutionary things that neither the GeForce 3 TI 500 nor the ATI RADEON 8500 or even the GeForce 4 have (according to the interviews, and the latest specs).

If not for the managers, I think the company would still be alive today, would produce powerful chips, and would eventually catch up to NVIDIA.

But, I must admit, the Voodoo 5 series of cards didn't stand a chance against the GeForce 2 and such that were out at the same time (3dfx also failed to get them released in time), the FSAA, Unreal engine, and all GLIDE optimised stuff in my opinion were probably the only reasons to get the Voodoo 5, as the GeForce 2 was clearly the winner in all other aspects.

Cheers

Dima

I think 1-2 years ago, voodoo2 was a great bargain. Most games were for glide, & voodoo2 was already pretty cheap. UT looks great on mine.

But the current trend is that glide is on its way out, so for bleeding-edge computers/games, it sounds like geforce is the way to go. If you have an older computer for older games, voodoo2 is a good choice.