Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Hello,

Here's my first map. This is a fairly large level, but with few switch hunts it's completable in minutes.

Recommended difficulty is HMP (skill 3), UV is more of a slaughterfest. It should work in any limit removing port, although I only tested it in GZDoom and PrBoom+ and I don't know much about compatibility, anyway.

Be warned, there's some misaligned textures.

Screenshots :

Download 06/24 : http://www.fileqube.com/file/ByynaslNh202247

Yeah, it looks really cool. But, your lifts don't have tags. I played in prboom-plus - with doom2.exe compatibility, all sectors with tag 0 were activated whenever a lift was activated - with boom compatibility, no sectors were activated whenever a lift was activated (not even the intended sector).

Thanks a lot, TimeOfDeath. I went with the info stated on the Doom wiki, which is to leave the lifts with a tag 0, and it worked fine on GZDoom. I'm guessing this only applies to some ports.

I obviously didn't spend enough time testing with PrBoom+ - my apologies.

I went back and fixed all the lifts, then did one full run on PrBoom+ trying everything I could, it worked fine. Hopefully, I didn't miss anything.

UV on this map is pretty much perfection quest - if you even take the wrong route you're fucked. Hardly any health anywhere. Feels like you need the BFG at times when you've still only got the SSG.

Checking around the rest of the map reveals pretty much what I expected. Haven't there been enough maps overflowing with monsters in huge, wide-open spaces? And do you REALLY get the BFG that late in the map?

Very nice map for the little I've played of it. I was playing on UV and I made it to the door with the revenant tiers and then ran out of ammo. after idkfa-ing I used 432 bullets and 40 shells to clean out those revenants and the changunners/zombiemen in the right hallway and a few imps from the left. I'll try the cyber with the soulsphere in a bit. just make that much ammo available on UV and it should start being possible v not. unless you want the map to be low on ammo.

Holy crap. This leaves my own first map in the dust, both graphically and gameplay-wise. I love it.

ArmouredBlood - ammo consumption was fine for me, although having played the map so many times I might be biaised.

udderdude - UV was intended to be a challenge, and I had fun playing it. I tried all kinds of routes and didn't have too much trouble (that is, no more than I get on AV/HR style maps on UV). Again, I'm aware I could be wrong.

HMP is really the recommended difficulty, though.

There's two different paths, both can be finished without the BFG - in fact, the BFG is near the exit as a "reward" if the player wants to complete the other path.

Some design choices I made could be seen as flaws (and rightfully so). Occasionally, I like situations where I feel overwhelmed by monsters. That was the goal on UV. It's a map I made first and foremost for my playstyle, so it might not appeal to everyone.

Thank you both for your feedback.

Ok, didn't bother with the cyber. after stealing the soul sphere I went to the mancubus room where I used 395 bullets and 32 shells, you could probably get enough shells but 200 more bullets would be nice. after that there's plenty of plasma ammo for the imps and revenants, but you might run out on the second wave of revenants, especially if the archvile manages to res 3+ mancubuses or revenants. Add 200 to be safe. The baron secret is rather obvious, and might need another box of shells if you don't explore the other half first ... don't really see the point of the berserk pack there, it would've been more help earlier with the horde of demons after the chaingun platform.

I'll play around with it a bit more and leave some more feedback on ammo on UV.

EDIT: I'll check from start again, maybe I'll find your way. I bet you blasted past the revenants and demons though :P

EDIT2: meh. didn't like the change to slime base after the pain elementals. doesn't fit in with your map. The cave part I could see, but not the slime base.

EDIT3: ok now I see what you were trying to do with the slime base, but it still looks out of place. I swear you speed run this thing without max kills ... anyway, the real thing I found was that the top 4 stairs or so for the megasphere secret in the giant ash room after the fing huge caco swarm have no textures. just a heads up.

Damn this map is huge, especially for a first map! Great first effort, though I kept getting killed so I haven't actually seen the whole thing yet. So far so good though!

For your first map this is very well done. You've been doing your homework.

I've listened to your feedback, played a bit more and made some changes.

Spoiler

On UV, the chaingun has been replaced with a rocket launcher. It was there for HMP, but as you fight a chaingunner in the first room on skill 4 it was pointless to keep it there. However, I'm still happy with the ammo consumption there so I didn't add rockets except on the path to the next room. Hopefully, it gives options between grabbing the rockets or going straight for the blue armor and losing less life from lava.

In the revenant room, I wanted the player to dispatch them with the chaingun. Admittedly, that was a poor decision and could be seen as very tedious. I've added some shells, but you'll have to get close to the revenants. Also added some pillars behind the door so the player can fall back and avoid projectiles easily without having to tiptoe to avoid falling into the lava. There's a green armor now at the chaingunner's spot. Near the cyberdemon, two boxes of ammo and two boxes of shells have been replaced by four boxes of rockets.

To the mancubus room now. I've added two rocket boxes near the spectres, two boxes of ammo and one box of shells behind the wood shelves. As for the berserk pack, the point was to act as both a health refill and a "trap", forcing a switch to the hand while the hell knight jumps on the player. Together with the backpack, I also thought it'd make the player less likely to believe there's a secret behind, seeing as that's already two power ups in the same spot.

Added some ammo before the pain elementals. There's pretty much no change for the techbase/sewers part, except for a few rockets scattered here and there. In the control room (the one with four windows and two doors, right before the sewers), I moved the SSG to the center and added a radiation suit. The SSG is just decoration on UV anyway, that's mainly a change for lower skill difficulties.

Finally, I replaced the green armor and four medikits near the last switch for a megasphere in the spider mastermind room. The cyberdemon guarding the exit was also ditched in favor of four barons of hell.

As for the other path, the rocket launcher secret was replaced with a plasma gun. I lowered the ammo near the plasma gun in the other secret, but added more ammo right where the barons are.

The huge caco swarm in that big open area was intended to make the player look for cover, either fall back and suffer ammo trouble or push forward and risk getting hit. I've replayed that part a lot and I like how it turns out. With the chainsaw, it's possible to kill the cacos by luring them into narrow paths, but long and tedious ; on the other hand, there's extra ammo further down the road if the player is willing to take some chances. That being said, I've added some rocket boxes around near the cacos and a few rockets on the revenant bridge. There's some more shells as well in the jungle temple. The stairs have textures now.

Thanks for your comments, everyone.