Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Lordareonz

Doom To hexen Maps

Hi! i would like to know if antone knows a map converter that converts Doom/heretic maps to hexen, I found one, Dm2conv, but i hasnt hexen in it, if anyone can help, thanks!

Um. Kind of depends on what you want to do.

ZWadConv will convert normal doom maps to a more advanced format that will support some ZDoom features.

i want a converter that converts Doom wads to hexen wads and make them playable by putting the textures already on the map, changes the monsters automaticly, i find one day, a converterm that did that, but it crashes almost in everything!

There are a few Doom<->Heretic converters in /utils, but I've never seen a Hexen one.

Doom Builder could probably convert all the sector and linedef types, but you'd have to do the textures yourself.

Sup, i already tried with doom builder, to texture them, man that takes a looooottt of time and when you finishes texturing, you dont want to play anymore heheheh (<<<joke) the one i got was Old, in a small wad it did it all fine, but in the big ones it crashed, it is hard do code a converter? since as doom hasn't hte special features that hexen have, convert Doom to hexen wouldn't be such hard thing isnt it?
well i asked this util by the lack of hexen maps and projects, and didn't like much heretic, i think hexen thousand times briliant, but will come a time that hexen maps will "end" then playing some maps from doom or heretic it would be something intersting inst?

There's not really an automated tool for this, and Doom's monsters/weapons/ammo are so different from Hexen's that it wouldn't really be that great anyway.

Heh, this so reminds me of this little gem, although that one was mostly about "converting the IWADS to ZDoom". Draw your own conclusions, gentlemen.

Maes said:

Heh, this so reminds me of this little gem,

Maes, what the fuck, you were just trashing that thread. Too bad I wasn't there to correct you all. Converting IWADs was necessary if you had to edit with DeepSea using the ZDoom/Hexen format setting; at least for that former version.

As for converting Doom to Hexen, how in the hells can't it be done? Just edit DM2CONV's config file to convert Doom ID#s to Hexen ID#s, after which you load ZWADCONV to finish it.

There's another problem, though: Hexen players totally outrank the Doom ones in awesomeness and size. Ask ze wiki if you don't believe me.

printz said:

Maes, what the fuck, you were just trashing that thread. Too bad I wasn't there to correct you all. Converting IWADs was necessary if you had to edit with DeepSea using the ZDoom/Hexen format setting; at least for that former version.

RTFT: the DeepSea note is an interesting one (I didn't know that), but unfortunately that was NOT the reason mac53 wanted to "convert" his IWADs to ZDoom/Hexen format. He mentioned "using the original levels as reference" or something to that effect, which was utter and complete fail. I was not the only person telling him that, either. Actually, he didn't even mention that personally: one of his sockpuppets called madnessjack did so.

Still....it doesn't make any sense having to convert the map structure of the IWADs just to create Hexen/ZDoom maps with DeepSea or with any other editor, unless you want to copy/paste nodes directly from id levels, which falls into mac53 territory :-p

I mean, how come Doombuilder doesn't need to do that create Hexen/ZDoom levels from scratch? Unless something is broken or weirdly designed in DeepSea, I see no good reason for an IWAD conversion, still.

Besides, that mac53 guy soon after engaged in other utterly useless projects, mostly because of his lack of understanding of their implications. And yeah, it may appear that I was the only one filling his ass up with concrete at the time, but so did everybody else who chimed in afterwards.

I think the reason DeepSea asked me to convert the original wads was a dumb one: to be able to read and open original MAP01 at startup! Doombuilder doesn't start up with the IWAD open, unlike the DEU family tree. I really doubt it would accept to read doom2.wad as ZDoom (Doom in Hexen format) mode ;)

Dumb, but plausible reason, with the "minor" side effect of rendering the IWAD useless for everybody except maybe mac53 ;-)

As if the Iwad is too big to have 50 gazillion copies of it anyway. Although I don't see the point, I don't see the issue in converting one anyway.

Maes said:

Dumb, but plausible reason, with the "minor" side effect of rendering the IWAD useless for everybody except maybe mac53 ;-)

Use another filename for the DEU-like editor :)

I could be wrong but I'm sure that it wasn't just DeePsea that needed the IWAD converted: perhaps Zeth did? Maybe WA too?

Bsck on the original topic, I have certainly used a tool in the dim, distant past that could convert between Doom, Heretic and Hexen maps. It was reasonably configurable and worked quite well. Unfortunately, I have no idea what the tool was called or where to find it. (Gee thanks Enjay, that was really useful :rolleyes: )

There were a few problems that I remember. Heretic tends to need more ammo than Doom maps and the Hexen players are taller than the Doom and Heretic ones so sometimes cannot fit into some places in a Doom/Heretic map. Stairs with stepped ceilings could commonly be only passable when going up when playing a Doom map in Hexen.

Enjay said:

I could be wrong but I'm sure that it wasn't just DeePsea that needed the IWAD converted: perhaps Zeth did? Maybe WA too?

DMapEdit, too.

ZETH didn't require converting, and you could [r]ead iwad old-format levels with it, but it wouldn't recognize linedef specials and whatnot.

Well i thought my post has become some large discussion heh?
well if Enjay Remenber the name of the tool it would be great to all of us to do that, i already googled it thousand times and dont find any Converterrr! hope we find someone that knows, soon :D

DMapEdit claims it can do this:

Conversions in both directions for Doom, Doom2, and Heretic. Where only one way conversion from Doom, Doom2, and Heretic are allowed to Hexen and ZDoom maps. DMapEdit evens writes out the needed script file for you.

Interestingly enough, someone seems to be developing their own DMapEdit 5

Yeah i did it! with Dmapconv that our friend pointed to us i went Searching where i could convert, then i Did it!, i must tell you that it IS tricky.
1.Its a DOS program so, windows xp users forget, i went using dosbox
here i will tell small part of the process: first we got to setup the program with the paths and al... then we got to load a map from a Pwad, in the program there is a button called change Map Position, and there is a option to chenge the position to a hexen wad, then we have to compile a scriipt but it is sending out much errors, so i barely could convert some maps. i did only with e1m1 and e1m2 from UDoom, and the result is something like Dm2Conv converter does..

If someone eant screenshots just ask! :)
and when i discover how to compile this succefully, i will post!

Thank all your help guys!

Unfortunatly some "scripts" from doom dont work in hexen like Switches that open doors just dont work! thats sad, and i got to convert one map a time! well i think i'll have to stay with heretic and dm2conv, lookslike conversion between doom and hexen is a bit... incompatible :C

i was Wrong! It was I that dont know how to compile the ACS scripts, but i made some research and sucefully converted heretic 1st Episode to Hexen! there are soem bugs though but it worth playing! I will put here the WAD with maps that i Converted.

There are the following conversion Bugs:

1-E1M8 after you kill the bosses the wall simply dont move down to complete the episode
2-The Iron Lichs are converted to Wyverns, and unexplainably the just dont attack us
3-There are some areas that are too small (just 3 or 4) i recommend to use the Crouch option in Zdoom.

All that bugs are Really easy to fix using the map editor, but i am not a expert mapper to fix them, it will need more exploration :D

So If Anyone wants to i put here i tutorial with how i did it, just ask, because its not easy!

Ok I know that everyone want this screenshot :D

And here is The Wad:
LINK REMOVED - PROHIBITED CONTEND, sorry :C
But if anyone still wants to know how to convert, just ask!

Thats it guys, hope that i Helped You!

I am Lordareon, From Brazil Sending a very loud "Good Game to you!"

And i made it all with Dmapedit

*I Dont know if posting the converted maps are prohibited, if it is just warn me! Thanks!

Lordareonz said:

*I Dont know if posting the converted maps are prohibited, if it is just warn me! Thanks!

The Doomworld FAQ said:

This forum has a strict policy against warez and copyright infringement. Do not link to or request full or leaked versions of games or content, magazine scans, ROMs, or copyrighted media such as music or movies.

Well it is or not prohibited? should i unlink the wad file?
I only has the 1st episode of heretic converted to hexen!

Lordareonz said:

Well it is or not prohibited? should i unlink the wad file?
I only has the 1st episode of heretic converted to hexen!

It is prohibited.

I'd suggest just posting the info. Nobody might be wetting their pants for the secret now, but 5 years later when you've got better things to do than check old Doomworld threads, someone can always search for it.

The wyverns don't attack in 1-8 because they need spots on the map to travel to (waypoints). I think some ACS is also involved.

Super Jamie said:

There are a few Doom<->Heretic converters in /utils, but I've never seen a Hexen one.

Mind pointing me toward these? I can't find them.