Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Super Jamie

Facebook?

I've thought recently about adding everyone I see to my 'friends' list. Because hell, why not.

Super Jamie said:
Coming hot on the heels of the failed Twitter thread,

The staff was tipped off about color revolutions, so we stamped that down. Our secret intelligence is keeping an eye on these Facebook events, too.

OMGZ WE SHOULD PUT LINKS ON EVERYONE'S PROFILE TO THEIR FACEBOOK AND MYSPACE AND TWITTER AND YOUTWITFACE, AND WE SHOULD BE ABLE TO TEXT MESSAGE AND HAVE DIGG LINKS ON DOOM NEWS AND WEB THREE POINT OH BOYEEEEEE!!!!

BlackFish said:

omg let's make a doomworld group lolol.

Doesn't this /vb forum fill this purpose?

I already got quite alot of doomers on my FB friend list, heh.

Okay, maybe not alot. I think I got 20-25 doomers on it.

I've always found facebook to be irritating - when I used to have an account, a lot of websites would display popups that would tell me "We've detected that you've got a Facebook account! Would you like to add our website to your profile?" I'm like, no, why would I want to advertise for you? Thankfully, Facebook has my favorite function: the Delete Account button.

IMO I don't completely despise social networking sites (myspace, facebook) but I just don't see the point in adding people you really don't know in real life as 'friends.' Why would I give a shit about strangers, though if its for a group network I can see that; however if it's for games I'd rather use xfire or steam.

I can't wait for DoomWall, BFGPoke and "Which Doom Monster Are You?" apps...

I joined a Doom-related Facebook group a while ago. I just recently took my second look at that group, out of curiosity, and the most recent wall post was Paul Corfiatis plugging WOS.

Ugh, I just asked you on the group who you were. :P

Bucket said:

OMGZ WE SHOULD PUT LINKS ON EVERYONE'S PROFILE TO THEIR FACEBOOK AND MYSPACE AND TWITTER AND YOUTWITFACE, AND WE SHOULD BE ABLE TO TEXT MESSAGE AND HAVE DIGG LINKS ON DOOM NEWS AND WEB THREE POINT OH BOYEEEEEE!!!!

Your ideas intrigue me and I wish to subscribe to your newsletter

On a related front, I deleted my facebook account (which isn't actually deleted).

I am really tempted to, but I don't feel right about mixing my Facebook with non-RL ppl/things - I'd prefer to keep Doom related stuff to this forum (as printz suggested). Or IF I did that, I'd only want to if FB allowed to differentiate between different groups/circles of friends instead of mixing them all together indiscriminately. Perhaps I'm too sensitive or worry too much, but I prefer to keep most of my social circles seperate, for various reasons.

I used to think that way. Keep Facebook for IRL-only people, and most of my casual drinking friends and internet friends on MySpace.

However some people only have one or the other, and the trend has been for almost all my friends to move to Facebook lately anyway. So I stopped resisting and just made some friend categories on Facebook.

You're all going into the "Doomers" group :)

Super Jamie said:

You're all going into the "Doomers" group :)

I have had a doom group for quite some time now. :P

You can find me on the Doomworld group. My profile pic is not intimidating at all.

Some family has Facebook pages, but you have to actually become a member to see them, and I don't want that.
If YouTube can let people see my stuff without being a member, why not them? Sure, you can't respond or add vids without an account (YouTube), but at least you can watch stuff. Facebook should allow this as well.

Georgef551 said:

Some family has Facebook pages, but you have to actually become a member to see them, and I don't want that.
If YouTube can let people see my stuff without being a member, why not them? Sure, you can't respond or add vids without an account (YouTube), but at least you can watch stuff. Facebook should allow this as well.

No. It's called privacy. Some people have alot of info on their profiles - date of birth, home address, spouse, phone number - which could easily be used for identity theft. Understandably there is a difference in some faceless random person's funny video, and telling the entire world where I park my car and go to sleep at night.

I have sent random people messages myself, advising them to hide their profiles for these reasons, and always get a "thanks, i had no idea" in response. I'm pretty sure people on Doomworld aren't Ukranian criminals who are going to duplicate my personal details and get someone else a passport in my name, so I'm happy to add anyone from here.

And besides which, don't you need to be a member of YouTube to view videos which are flagged "age verification required"?

No, you just need to click through a prompt for those age-flagged vids. That's the way a video site should be.

Facebook's membership thing is pretty slick. You can still Google people and get a public FB profile listing. It won't tell you much but you can usually figure out if the right person is on there that way. That again is a setting I think you can control because it doesn't happen for all profiles.

Forums are better than Facebook for the kind of stuff we do here.

Super Jamie said:

No. It's called privacy. Some people have alot of info on their profiles - date of birth, home address, spouse, phone number - which could easily be used for identity theft. Understandably there is a difference in some faceless random person's funny video, and telling the entire world where I park my car and go to sleep at night.
{SNIP}

Okay, that does make sense, the way they have it now.
Could Facebook have an option to hide your profile from non-menbers? If people want to be viewed, and other's don't want to join, that's where I'm going with it. BBS systems worked this way.
I guess they'll never see me viewing their pages.

Facebook have alot of options for privacy, you can choose to show individual parts of your profile to whoever you do or don't want. Sign up and have a look :P

Thanks, bot no thanks. If I have to make my own page to view others, it's not worth it.
At least I see why I can't look at my family's pages, but then again, if any family member is online, I can ask them to pop them up for me. Would be interresting to see, but not THAT much to become a member.