Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Ariander

A WAD that combines alot of the Doom levels together

Yes there is, but sadly I can't remember. A wad that has all of Knee-Deep in a single level. I tried redoing it, but Doom Builder 1, the one I'm using, can't be used for this. Sure, I can copy-paste the architecture and things, but only them. Tags and effects are discarded :|

If you ask "is there one available on idgames" then the answer is indeed no because levels that are just modifications of the original levels are rejected. (Now, total recreations with large changes, such as in KDiZD, are accepted.)

As for existing at all, yes, there are plenty. For many people, that's one of the first steps of learning to use a level editor.

@Printz: try saving the entire level as a prefab, then inserting that prefab in the other level.

In standard Doom format (or of course UDMF), there is no 255-args limit like Hexen has that'd prevent you from just offsetting the tags on each map...so, if you could somehow determine what the range of tags used in each map was, you could just select all lines in Doom Builder, type ++128 or ++256 or whatever number to add to it, then do the same with sectors, and then do a quick find/replace to put 0-tag sectors and lines back to tag 0.

printz said:

Yes there is, but sadly I can't remember. A wad that has all of Knee-Deep in a single level.

Uh, I think it was in Cleimos II, and called something like Thigh Deep in the Dead. Somewhere around map20 or thereabouts. I could check the details but can't be bothered. It doesn't really have all the maps copy/pasted though, but themes and areas reminiscent of the original maps. HTH

edit: OK, so I did check. "Hip Deep", Cleimos 2 (cleim20.wad) map20.

Oh yeah, and check out the Patchwork Empire too maybe.

A long while back I remember playing a WAD that combined E1M1 + MAP01 Doom 2 + MAP01s of Final Doom into MAP01, E2M2 + MAP02 + MAP02 in MAP02, etc. I don't remember what it was called.

Cory Whittle's Don's Challenge 1 did this. I can't remember where to find it, though.

The exit room blending could be done nicely with the eternity portals if it were to ever happen right.

Since this thread is about ombining Doom levels together, I would really like to see a Cliffnotes Doom megawad that features level designs taken from all four versions of Doom: the Ultimate Doom's four episodes, Doom II, TNT: Evilution and Plutonia.

Yeah, basically, only spread out more. Maybe 4 levels for each episode of the Ultimate Doom, then three levels for each subsequent game, since Doom II, TNT and Plutonia each sort of go through three different themes.

I remember a map that incorporated sections of four or five Episode 1 maps - can't put a name to it right now. :(

EDIT - Map32 of Chuck Lai's "Doom2 Extreme" contains all 4 episode end maps from Ultimate Doom.

Didn't Doom 2 Extreme have a bunch of illegal content other than that, though? It's been years since I played it, but I seem to remember it had a few TNT maps in it.

At least many maps from various people without their permission, if i remember correctly.

Bloodshedder said:

A long while back I remember playing a WAD that combined E1M1 + MAP01 Doom 2 + MAP01s of Final Doom into MAP01, E2M2 + MAP02 + MAP02 in MAP02, etc. I don't remember what it was called.

Yeah, that was Patchwork Empire (I mentioned it just above) by Len Pitre.

printz said:

Yes there is, but sadly I can't remember. A wad that has all of Knee-Deep in a single level. I tried redoing it, but Doom Builder 1, the one I'm using, can't be used for this. Sure, I can copy-paste the architecture and things, but only them. Tags and effects are discarded :|

I can do it for you if you want. What about keys and key doors? If you give me detailed, well thought out instructions, I'll do it for you. :)

I can make one myself, and keys can be solved by using switches instead of keys...

Here's my idea:

Create a wad with 9 levels:

-1 level combining E1M1-E1M7 into a single map
-Same for E2M1-E2M7, E3M1-E3M7, E4M1-E4M7, Map01-11 minus Map07, Map12-20, and Map21-29 (7 levels total so far)
-1 level that combines all boss maps together (all M8's in Ultimate Doom, just like D2XTREME Map32, but also Map07 and 30 in Doom II)
-1 secret level that combines all secret levels together (all M9s in Ultimate Doom plus Map31,32 in Doom II)
-Improve architecture of the maps and change progression so that all the combined levels play like one big level (i.e. you can visit any map from E1 and then may have to return to an earlier map to get to what you visited that map for, and this process can be repeated multiple times; in other words , you can and/or have to visit a later level WITHOUT "finishing" an earlier level, to the point that you might have to visit the last level of an episode and then return to the first, or any other combination), perhaps add some new areas to the maps too, especially to make some of the maps look more like their names, but keep it such that the basic styles of all the maps are clearly incorporated within.
-It is a community project (any author can claim any "section" of any map, and there is no limit as to how many authors can be involved in any particular map).
-Release the first level (E1M1-M7 combined) as a demo to see what people think (only work on the first map to begin with, then if the demo map gets good reception from the community, begin work on the other maps).

You'd end up with a revised version of the original PC Doom games (minus Final Doom), squished from 68 levels down to just 9, and I believe most ports should be able to tolerate maps of that size. Any thoughts?

Keep in mind if you do a project like that, you couldn't release it because it would be illegal. You could create large maps in the style of the various themes and episodes instead and be able to release it.

If you're doing this for private use, there's no problem, however.

Snarboo said:

Keep in mind if you do a project like that, you couldn't release it because it would be illegal. You could create large maps in the style of the various themes and episodes instead and be able to release it.

If you're doing this for private use, there's no problem, however.

Read closer. I said that the maps can be changed around as long as the overall style and basic layout is largely kept the same. By that I mean that the maps should be designed from scratch, but aside from perhaps some added/expanded areas, the areas must clearly be inspired by the corresponding areas in the original maps. The detailing can be improved, monster and item placement doesn't have to be exactly the same, and they can unfold a bit differently or in a different order. Think of how KDiZD remade areas of the original maps, but don't go quite so excessive on the detail and probably don't add as many new areas. Plus they can play entirely differently, since I'm intending that the project is made such that many times you have to visit a later map to get something you need before you "finish" an earlier map(s) (and I should make this clear; by maps here, I don't mean one of the 9 maps in the project; I mean one of the smaller levels included within a single map).

I think that if wads like KDiZD (and KDiP), Wonderfull Doom (! especially this one), and Phobos Revisited (by ReX), just to name a few were allowed into the archives, this one, done the way I have tried to lay out and explain as well as possible (though you can ask if you are confused) should have no problem being allowed in the archive as well. And remember that I recommended working on the first map alone to start so that can be released as a demo to see what people think.

You could release a recreation, but not a direct copy/paste work with a few changes made afterwards.

Gez said:

You could release a recreation, but not a direct copy/paste work with a few changes made afterwards.

The maps should still be designed from scratch (therefore a recreation, NOT a copy/paste in any way). After all, who would be that interested anyway in playing levels that progress exactly as they have likely played them 100 or so times before, combined into a single map or not? Not to mention, what use would there be for the whole community being involved in designing a simple copy/paste product? See my previous post (right above the quoted post), as well as my earlier post a few posts above that, for details.

And my intention is certainly for more than just a "few" changes. Remember that, for example, in the E1M1-M7 level, the first item you need could be all the way in the E1M7 remake portion, then you may have to go to say the E1M3 remake to find where it is used, then the next item may be used way back in the E1M1 recreation area, and so on, and all the recreation areas can be fully connected as long as it doesn't get overaly confusing to the player. In other words, you don't necessarily have to go through E1M2-M6 just to get from the E1M1-based area to the E1M7-based area; that's what I mean by interconnected.

Remember, also, that it would be a community project, so that different authors can incorporate their own unique styles into different areas, even different areas within the same level - not only different areas within one of the 9 big maps, but even different areas within one of the original levels whose basic layout and theme needs to be incorporated into a specific area of one of the 9 levels.

Copy pasting and recreations aren't very different. One makes a copy, the other a derivative work. Both are copyright infringement when you don't have permission.

For the DOOM games, you can legally use pieces of an IWAD (or a derivation of them) in a PWAD which requires the IWAD the pieces are taken from. So to make a PWAD that takes things (or is based on things) from more than one IWAD, it should require all the base IWADs.