Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
bullsquid

Looking for a new high class megawad

I just finished playing trough Plutonia2 and mush say i liked it ALOT.
But now when its over i want some other new and good megawad i can stick to for a while.
Ofcourse i have already tried ndcp, community chests, alien vendetta, hr, memento mori, requiem etc etc ...all very good megawads but i've already finished them serveral times.
Im looking for something new and fresh like plutonia2 but something else...

any ideas?

Already played that and no im not into that at all...just annoying to play even if the levels are high quality

32 inch nails, back to basics, dark 7, Biowar, cyber dreams, eternal doom3, icarus, kama sutra, scythe 1, scythe 2, the rebirth, zpack...

Those are the ones I like that you didn't mention already.

just looked at 32 inch nails, back to basics, dark 7 and zpack.
they are too modded for my taste, i like regular basic doom2 levels with maybe some new graphics but since i use 3d models i cant have things like new weapons and monsters etc, dont fit in well.

some of these are only 5-7 maps i want 32 version megawads :)
if theres any i missed plz let me know

bullsquid said:

back to basics [...] too modded for my taste, i like regular basic doom2 levels with maybe some new graphics but since i use 3d models i cant have things like new weapons and monsters etc, dont fit in well.

Are we talking about the same Back to Basics? The Back to Basics that is for vanilla, unmodified Doom? That Back to Basics has new weapons and monsters?

Without a full list of those you have played, it is hard to know what to suggest, but these are all good 32-map wads that work with basic Doom2 (exceptions mentioned) that you didn't specifically mention (most highly recommended, based on your comments about your preferences, listed first, but ordering is only rough):

Kama Sutra
STRAIN (some dehacked-modified monsters and weapons)
Scythe
TVR!
Icarus
Hell Revealed 2
Memento Mori 2
Eternal
Rebirth (a few monsters changed in appearance - just minor cosmetic stuff for the most part, with the exception of the snowman)
Fragport
H2H-Xmas (serious levels, with Xmas graphics)
Hacx (only 21 levels - a genuine TC with all new graphics and dehacked monsters)
Vilcore (map32 requires jumping or idclip at one point)
Herian (check txt for any vanilla incompatibilities - I don't recall)
Vile Flesh (requires limit removing, and some levels use Boom behaviour, although no Boom specials)
Armadosia (excellent, but requires limit removal, and also some vexing bugs, and lack of pistol-start playability)
10sector (requires Boom)
2002ado (Ultimate Doom; 36 maps + 1 extra map)

No doubt some of these are covered by your "etc., etc.", but presumably some of them aren't.

STRAIN runs in vanilla but it has new monsters and weapons, so it's probably not what the OP is looking for.

It's a bit difficult to give recommendations when we don't know what "etc etc" covers ... it would be good to have a more comprehensive list of what megawads the OP has played.

I'm aware of that (see post), but given what I judge from his posts of his preferences in terms of design and gameplay, I feel he should try it ahead of a lot of other wads. It's pretty Doomy despite the modified stuff, and the action is top-class. I doubt he has really taken an oath always to use models.

Grazza said:

Without a full list of those you have played, it is hard to know what to suggest, but these are all good 32-map wads that work with basic Doom2 (exceptions mentioned) that you didn't specifically mention (most highly recommended, based on your comments about your preferences, listed first, but ordering is only rough):

Kama Sutra
STRAIN (some dehacked-modified monsters and weapons)
Scythe
TVR!
Icarus
Hell Revealed 2
Memento Mori 2
Eternal
Rebirth (a few monsters changed in appearance - just minor cosmetic stuff for the most part, with the exception of the snowman)
Fragport
H2H-Xmas (serious levels, with Xmas graphics)
Hacx (only 21 levels - a genuine TC with all new graphics and dehacked monsters)
Vilcore (map32 requires jumping or idclip at one point)
Herian (check txt for any vanilla incompatibilities - I don't recall)
Vile Flesh (requires limit removing, and some levels use Boom behaviour, although no Boom specials)
Armadosia (excellent, but requires limit removal, and also some vexing bugs, and lack of pistol-start playability)
10sector (requires Boom)
2002ado (Ultimate Doom; 36 maps + 1 extra map)

No doubt some of these are covered by your "etc., etc.", but presumably some of them aren't.

I choose not to test H2H-Xmas (x-mas graphics? wtf!), all the rest have i already played including hacx but like i said i want unmodified levels, no tc's and preferebly megawads for doom2.
If anyone has more to add to that list i'll be thankful.
I dont know for sure if i've played trough all of kama sutra...maybe i'll dl it now and check.

Also i dont want any maps that only works with zdoom or such since i use risen3d to play all wads and i intend to stick with that.
Vanilla maps are fine.

bullsquid said:
I choose not to test H2H-Xmas (x-mas graphics? wtf!),

Heh, it's not bad. The added graphics are somewhat silly but the levels are action packed and fun to play.

myk said:

Heh, it's not bad. The added graphics are somewhat silly but the levels are action packed and fun to play.

I hate the sound (maybe rather the voice) in that pack. Not my cup of tea really, but I like the graphics. :)

Heh, admittedly, when a WAD has new sounds that aren't integrated in an appropriate way (such as being part of a modified monster or weapon... not that I play mods much), I usually open it in XWE, check the sounds, and nearly always delete them. I probably agree they suck, but must have played it without them.

Try 2002 A Doom oddessy if you have the Ultimate Doom IWAD. you maaay need Zdoom to play it im not sure but its very vanila but I dunno if it will work in vanilla

David_Dweedle said:

Try 2002 A Doom oddessy if you have the Ultimate Doom IWAD. you maaay need Zdoom to play it im not sure but its very vanila but I dunno if it will work in vanilla

Only to play the secret level e5m1.

Or to have something like 2 secret levels in Episode 2; that's what I've seen so far in recordings.

Speaking of ZDoom, I prefer playing Episode 4 with the vanilla tracklist. The music from E3M3 fits E4M3 very well, for example.

I'm not sure if I'll call the upcoming Whispers of Satan a high class megawad. But WOS is nearly all done and the last 2 maps are currently in progress! - But hey, there's yet another new megawad coming to you soon!

printz said:

Or to have something like 2 secret levels in Episode 2; that's what I've seen so far in recordings.

Speaking of ZDoom, I prefer playing Episode 4 with the vanilla tracklist. The music from E3M3 fits E4M3 very well, for example.

Yep, there are 2 secret levels in Episode 2 indeed. But E5M1 can only be accessed in Zdoom via E2M4 and in Vanilla Doom via -warp command. Its a speedmap that only took me an hour to make.

pcorf said:

Yep, there are 2 secret levels in Episode 2 indeed. But E5M1 can only be accessed in Zdoom via E2M4 and in Vanilla Doom via -warp command. Its a speedmap that only took me an hour to make.

Why did you make it green btw instead of blue? I liked the blue color scheme, it is not normal to see such all blue maps. (old version of 2002ado)

myk said:

Heh, [H2H-Xmas is] not bad. The added graphics are somewhat silly but the levels are action packed and fun to play.

I'm waiting for this year's Christmas before I play it ;)

Hmm, seems like the odd new monster or weapon here and there is now de riguer for big wads, and they will clash with 3D models.

Go on, turn them off... don't worry i won't tell your friends you played a game with 2D graphics.