Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
David_Dweedle

Hell Station. Map01 Replacement for Doom 2

http://www.mediafire.com/?g0i1zdayne2

Its 1 level ive been working on for afew Days. It replaces MAP01 for Doom 2. It is vannilla compatible.(If it works on Doom95 then surely it will work on any sourceport.) But I did test on Chocolate Doom as well :).

The only Bugs ive noticed is on one of the Bullet Proof windows there is like a small step area nearby and if you look at the Window while on the step the window will change into a funny hall of mirror effect but it is only noticable if your looking for it I think.

But please if you see any bugs I may have missed then inform me because I need to know what I need to improve on. Thanks.

Enjoy this map.

Well I enjoyed it. Short and sweet, and quite good if you ask me.
Is it just me? Or is Mediafire like.. popupland? That's the only place I ever have problems.

Well, I didn't enjoy it. The layout wasn't too bad or anything, but it was an ugly map, and it did not play smooth at all.

Butts said:

Well, I didn't enjoy it. The layout wasn't too bad or anything, but it was an ugly map, and it did not play smooth at all.

Yeah thats the prob im having at the moment.. smooth gameplay.. any ideas for improvement?

Pretty much what Dutch said. Just take notes on what makes maps great. Check out the top 100 WADs of all time and the top rated WADs in the archive. Check out Plutonia 2. In my opinion, Plutonia 2 has probably the best gameplay all-around.

Butts said:

Pretty much what Dutch said. Just take notes on what makes maps great. Check out the top 100 WADs of all time and the top rated WADs in the archive. Check out Plutonia 2. In my opinion, Plutonia 2 has probably the best gameplay all-around.

Yeah ive played some of Plutonia 2. Nice Megawad.

Im fiddling with Boom map triggers at the moment.. Maybe I can use some of those extra triggers to improve the overall gameplay.

Well, I'm playing it in vanilla and enjoying it quite a bit so far.

Just popping in to let you know that to be truly vanilla-compatible the wad name has to be 8 characters or fewer, else vanilla Doom can't open it. Renamed it to HellStat and it works fine. Other than that no vanilla bugs so far.

meh, ok map imo. Could use some work making it interesting and you overused the metal textures a bit, and the bulletproof glass is an oddity not a plus to me. But that didn't detract from the gameplay, which is decent. I'd suggest getting rid of the demon in the exit though, seriously overused ...

Krispavera said:

Well I enjoyed it. Short and sweet, and quite good if you ask me.
Is it just me? Or is Mediafire like.. popupland? That's the only place I ever have problems.

And it knows my name... does mediafire think it will earn my friendship by stalking me?

owww... that crusher caught me by surprise! My speakers broke..

I liked it for the most part. I thought it had a new/fresh look to it. There was a lamp near the beginning that seemed in the way...

Hellbent said:

And it knows my name... does mediafire think it will earn my friendship by stalking me?

owww... that crusher caught me by surprise! My speakers broke..

I liked it for the most part. I thought it had a new/fresh look to it. There was a lamp near the beginning that seemed in the way...

I know the lamp.. I was meant to get rid of it.. forgot completely.. sorry

DuckReconMajor said:
Just popping in to let you know that to be truly vanilla-compatible the wad name has to be 8 characters or fewer, else vanilla Doom can't open it. Renamed it to HellStat and it works fine.

While an 8-character name is certainly convenient and optimal for vanilla WADs, files with long names (or names with spaces) can be used in a way, and I read there is a driver that adds full support.

In this case, and without the LFN driver, hellst~1.wad does the job (unless there are other long WAD names with hellst*, of course, where the number may change). Granted, someone using a more rudimentary version of DOS on an old system might have trouble, but that should be rare.

myk said:

While an 8-character name is certainly convenient and optimal for vanilla WADs, files with long names (or names with spaces) can be used in a way, and I read there is a driver that adds full support.

In this case, and without the LFN driver, hellst~1.wad does the job (unless there are other long WAD names with hellst*, of course, where the number may change). Granted, someone using a more rudimentary version of DOS on an old system might have trouble, but that should be rare.

My Wad file worked on Chocolate Doom and Doom 95 but I did use ZDL for Chocolate Doom and Doom 95s built in Wad loader so that could be why I didn't notice the 8 Charactor limit maybe?

All in all, I didn't mind the map David. From what I've played, you are improving.

The "bulletproof glass" doesn't really add anything, however, and just kind of feels weird. And when you don't know if a window is "bullet proof" or not you might end up wasting a precious shell on something you didn't know you couldn't shoot. Make sense?

Keep trying, and as the others said study some of the most popular maps to see what makes a "good" one. Although "good" is subjective, so do what you think works!