Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Kaiser

Doom64EX 1.4 released

Recommended Posts

Almost after a year since its first appearance, the actual official release of Doom64EX is out. The Doom64EX engine is based on the Doom3D source port. Doom64EX is a free clone of the Nintendo 64 game Doom 64 (developed by Midway). The goal is to perfectly recreate Doom 64 in every way possible and to support Win32 platforms.

Doom64EX aims to:

  • Recreate the behavior to the original game as close as possible
  • Provide the same look and feel as the original game
  • Support custom content that can also be compatible with the N64 version
  • Be the stepping stone for original open source FPS games
Features:
  • Integrated Boom/MBF features (only bug fixes to the original Doom code)
  • Internal tools to test resources such as sprites and textures (Work in Progress)
  • Debugging features for custom level creation
  • USF Music playback
  • Full 32-Bit color
  • xternal MP3/OGG support
  • High resolution modes
  • Console and QUAKE-style key bindings
Visit the Doom64EX website, download it, view the original thread, or watch the Showcase Demo and Multiplayer Demo. Note that the source code isn't available for download yet, but the SVN will always be available. Full documentation on the Doom 64 engine as well as editing specs is currently in the works.

Share this post


Link to post

Oh my god yes! I was just thinking about this the other day. Glad to see it's still being worked on :D

Share this post


Link to post
Mechadon said:

Oh my god yes! I was just thinking about this the other day. Glad to see it's still being worked on :D


Also, FYI, there's been a great amount of changes since the one posted at the Wads&Mods forum, so its worth checking out.

Share this post


Link to post

YAY! This is wonderful! It even runs on my EEE PC. Now I just need to get it to run in 640x400 mode... Maybe autorun too... Ah! found it... Wouldn't have anything to do with id if I didn't have to bust out Notepad.

Major thanks Kaiser! :D

Share this post


Link to post

:D

Downgrabbing now. Thanks Kaiser.

Share this post


Link to post

Awesomeness. I had to track down and buy a copy of Doom64 when I first heard about this...

Share this post


Link to post

Wow definitely a big performance difference from the earlier version. However it crashes to desktop when I load saves, anyone else getting this problem?

Share this post


Link to post
DeumReaper said:

Wow definitely a big performance difference from the earlier version. However it crashes to desktop when I load saves, anyone else getting this problem?


Send the savegame file to me and I'll try to debug it

Share this post


Link to post

Oh my god Kaiser I love you. Haha, I've been checking the SVN out for quite a while, but I've been too lazy to download VC6 to compile, because no matter what I did with VC9 it refused to compile!(this is most likely do to my very lacking C++ knowledge) Glad to see a release, checking out now

Share this post


Link to post
exp(x) said:

What's the status of its Linux support?


I didn't know Linux supported D3D.

Share this post


Link to post

Hi and thanks Kaiser for this release.

Few comments:

- Random savestates crash

- Brightness & gamma setting are too low on my pc (but v1.1c ok)
(manually with i_brightness "800.000000" & i_gamma "100.000000" is ok here !)

- My (logitec mx510) Mouse Wheel not working recognized (v1.1c ok)
config in 1.1c:
bind mouse5 "nextweap 1"
bind mouse6 "prevweap 1"

- permanent horizontal line:
http://img514.imageshack.us/i/image6zvw.jpg/
http://img514.imageshack.us/img514/5562/image7kjy.jpg

D64Ex Info:
http://img514.imageshack.us/i/image1mgi.jpg/

Thank you for your attention and sorry for my poor english.

My System (old but ok with 1.1c):
-Xp Pro x86 SP3
-Dx 9.0c (March 2009)
-Ati 9800Xt
-P4c 3.2GHz - Ram 2GB
-All drivers is up to date.

Share this post


Link to post

I didn't know Linux supported D3D.


A SDL/OpenGL version was in the works. I don't think it has been linux-tested though.

And I was going to check this out last night, but considering my internet was failing, I couldn't. I'm checking it out now.

EDIT:Actually, scratch that. This appears to be the SDL/OpenGL version. Unless the docs are lying to me.

Share this post


Link to post
Jets said:

Hi and thanks Kaiser for this release.

Few comments:

- Random savestates crash

- Brightness & gamma setting are too low on my pc (but v1.1c ok)
(manually with i_brightness "800.000000" & i_gamma "100.000000" is ok here !)

- My (logitec mx510) Mouse Wheel not working recognized (v1.1c ok)
config in 1.1c:
bind mouse5 "nextweap 1"
bind mouse6 "prevweap 1"

- permanent horizontal line:
http://img514.imageshack.us/i/image6zvw.jpg/
http://img514.imageshack.us/img514/5562/image7kjy.jpg

D64Ex Info:
http://img514.imageshack.us/i/image1mgi.jpg/

Thank you for your attention and sorry for my poor english.

My System (old but ok with 1.1c):
-Xp Pro x86 SP3
-Dx 9.0c (March 2009)
-Ati 9800Xt
-P4c 3.2GHz - Ram 2GB
-All drivers is up to date.

I can confirm 1 and 2, the ONLY save I tried managed to crash on me, and I needed to manually edit the config to see anything(my monitor is quite dark, though). 3 would be due to SDL I'm afraid, SDL doesn't really handle mousewheels, but according to the "TODO.txt" mousewheel binding support is planned. I haven't seen the horizontal line thing, but then again I haven't checked. Also, yes, this version is ported to OGL and SDL, and so far all the dependancies look to be cross compatible. I haven't actually tried to compile in linux yet, though. ( give it a shot? ;) )

Share this post


Link to post

Please note that the config file from 1.1c is NOT compatible with this version. Try deleting the config and launch the game again.

Also for savegame bugs, please send me the savegame file so I can debug it. The permanent lines is the result of the textures not being in powers of two, which is a pain to work with when you have to pad them and auto adjust the UVs to support that. This is still being looked into right now but I am not concidering that high priority at the moment.

Share this post


Link to post
MP2E said:

I can confirm 1 and 2, the ONLY save I tried managed to crash on me, and I needed to manually edit the config to see anything(my monitor is quite dark, though). 3 would be due to SDL I'm afraid, SDL doesn't really handle mousewheels, but according to the "TODO.txt" mousewheel binding support is planned. I haven't seen the horizontal line thing, but then again I haven't checked. Also, yes, this version is ported to OGL and SDL, and so far all the dependancies look to be cross compatible. I haven't actually tried to compile in linux yet, though. ( give it a shot? ;) )

SDL does handle mousewheel, as buttons 4 and 5 (not 5 and 6 as previously mentioned). However the handling is somewhat wonky from a programming POV in my experience.

The horizontal line thing is obviously a filtering problem with vissprites (the player's gun). Possibly using wrapping texture coordinates instead of clamping? Just a semi-educated guess.

Share this post


Link to post
Randy Heit said:

There's a reason I don't use SDL on Windows

:P

Share this post


Link to post

This deserves a place in the sourceports list. I don't know why I haven't added this earlier. Added now.

Share this post


Link to post
Quasar said:

The horizontal line thing is obviously a filtering problem with vissprites (the player's gun). Possibly using wrapping texture coordinates instead of clamping? Just a semi-educated guess.


There is clamping, but I pad the width and height and scale the textures if there's no extension that supports non-power of 2 textures. I can't seem to understand why clamping is still not working.

Dragonsbrethren said:

Excellent release, Kaiser. I hope those editing docs are ready soon; I can't wait to see what people are able to do with this engine.


Unfortuently, there's A LOT to cover, but hopfully I'll get that done soon.

Share this post


Link to post

Bug report, I was playing this with my friend over Hamachi today(I highly recommend it, it was excellent! I ping about 168 to him and yet I didn't lag at all in D64), And I find that in MAP03 the red key did not spawn when we tried to. We hit the switch but the key didn't appear, breaking the map and making us have to go forward without it. There were a few other map breaking things, but they were mainly due to the wad not being accustomed to 2 players... Also, if you type "noclip" into the console(doesn't matter if you're server OR client) and you try to go through a wall, you instantly disconnect from each other. This makes sense, but perhaps you could make a way to keep noclip from working, or better yet, maybe it could be implemented(sometimes doors get stuck because it's meant for one person going in, so a quick noclip can fix that in some instances).

Also, ironically, the few times I tried I couldn't get the saves to crash after that one time it occurred, however, if I can get it to crash again I will upload the save for you.

Share this post


Link to post

Yeah.. you probably want to avoid doing that. Doom64's levels aren't designed for co-op either, so its no surprise that two players could of broken something in that map.

I am assuming you had jumping enabled as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Kaiser said:

Yeah.. you probably want to avoid doing that. Doom64's levels aren't designed for co-op either, so its no surprise that two players could of broken something in that map.

I am assuming you had jumping enabled as well.

Nah, we tried to keep it as close to Doom64 as possible(we tried noclip twice however, once when my teamate couldn't get in a room on MAP33 after I went in, and... one of the other secret maps in which my teamate died, and he was unable to get back to where I was) I'm not sure what happened with the red key on MAP03, we followed the regular flow of them map, and I saw your multiplayer video, in which the Red key DID spawn correctly. Ahhh well, I'll keep looking. That noclip bug is something, though.

EDIT: Another bug found, if you delete the IP in the launcher and close out, it crashes until you edit Launcher.cfg to have some sort of value in it.

Share this post


Link to post

FYI, it works under Linux with Wine as long as you launch it from the Launcher, don't move your mouse from clicking "Launch" until you see the title screen, and don't run it in windowed mode. Otherwise it seems fine, and some of those issues could be my crappy Intel 945GM chip or version of Wine (1.0.1).

Runs great in Windows for me, though. I haven't had a crash yet, though Launcher never wants to launch the game.

Share this post


Link to post
DJ_Haruko said:

though Launcher never wants to launch the game.


It expects the exe to be in the same directory as the launcher. Otherwise it won't be able to detect it.

Share this post


Link to post

So how is this compared to the Doom 64 Absolution total conversion? (which ran on Doomsday)

Share this post


Link to post

Whenever i start it, i get one of the following errors:

ERROR - I _PNGREADDATA: FAILED ON SETJMP
ERROR - M_READFILE: COULDNNT READ FILE DOOM64: USFLIB

An older Version of Doom64EX runs well, did i miss something?

My WAD is 16.347.272 Bytes in size. Tried it on two computers.

Share this post


Link to post
cybdmn said:

Whenever i start it, i get one of the following errors:

ERROR - I _PNGREADDATA: FAILED ON SETJMP
ERROR - M_READFILE: COULDNNT READ FILE DOOM64: USFLIB

An older Version of Doom64EX runs well, did i miss something?

My WAD is 16.347.272 Bytes in size. Tried it on two computers.


* First re-run wadgen to generate a new iwad
* Make sure Doom64.USFLIB is present in the same directory as Doom64.exe

Your iwad should be < 12mb now.

SonicIce said:

So how is this compared to the Doom 64 Absolution total conversion? (which ran on Doomsday)


This is also explained in FAQ.txt included with the package. But yeah what Essel said. And I will continue on using that image everytime that question is brought up.

Share this post


Link to post

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now
×